Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 07:18 PM

936 posts, read 823,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Barilla I think is made in Italy, but the #2 manufacturer, Riviana Foods (who owns several regional brands), produces its pasta domestically, and a lot of the American Beauty (a regional Riviana brand) here has been selling out. I think AIPC (who makes most of the private label pastas) also produces its pasta domestically.
There has been no shortage of pasta where I live (Kansas City). Your message explains why. There is a Riviera factory only within 15 miles from my house in Excelsior Springs, MO. As far as I know, that factory is still churning out American Beauty pasta 24/7 and has not been shutdown due to the pandemic.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:28 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
There has been no shortage of pasta where I live (Kansas City). Your message explains why. There is a Riviera factory only within 15 miles from my house in Excelsior Springs, MO. As far as I know, that factory is still churning out American Beauty pasta 24/7 and has not been shutdown due to the pandemic.
I know AIPC has a plant in Tolleson, AZ. AIPC produces most of the store brand pastas, which could be why store brands are more readily available here than name brands.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
That's nothing at all like here. Produce is certainly available, maybe not all the varieties we used to have, and while some cuts of meat are not available, there are others that will work. It's highly variable, and one store might have no Campbell's soup, but another has plenty. There may be a rhyme or reason you don't understand. The full cart of meat for instance was because recent news stories have told of impending meat shortages, so he was stocking up prior. I'm sure the lady with all the milk had some sort of reason for that. People are not willy-nilly buying any food available here. Mainly because virtually all food is available, although maybe not the brand or variety of flavors that we were used to. I can find all the ingredients for almost any dish, with an occasional substitution. Absolutely zero panic buying here, although I have seen some very full shopping carts, I assume that's because people are only making one trip every week or two to the store.
We no longer have panic buying. But......4-5 weeks ago a different story. We still have a shortage of tp but we have plenty as we accidentally bought a whole pack two months ago thinking we were out but I bought one pack from Costco we still had 3/4 of a original 2019 pack and we bought one again so almost three 46 roll packs.
Supply has somewhat caught up in most cases but I can tell the shelves are not quite as full.

With everything happening I don’t expect things to be back to normal. We are going to have rolling supply issues imo.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:31 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
There was a pasta shortage in mid-March but there was not one when I was at the grocery store last week. Paper goods are still scarce.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:33 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Very few boxes of pasta at Publix where I live. I usually buy penne or rigatoni but I had to settle for rotini. Rice has been missing so when I went to B.J.'s last week I bought a large 8 pound bag of Jasmine rice. It was delicious but it will take me a year to eat that much rice. I expect people to start hoarding meat next. It won't affect me much since I don't eat a lot of meat anymore.

Very little flour, sugar, yeast, etc. either. I guess a lot of people are baking and cooking from scratch these days. Still no alcohol (not the drinking kind) but I finally found a small bottle of Clorox. No hand sanitizer or Clorox wipes or any kind of disinfectant. Still no TP or paper towels in Publix or Target this week. It's crazy some of the things that people are hoarding.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:39 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Very few boxes of pasta at Publix where I live. I usually buy penne or rigatoni but I had to settle for rotini. Rice has been missing so when I went to B.J.'s last week I bought a large 8 pound bag of Jasmine rice. It was delicious but it will take me a year to eat that much rice. I expect people to start hoarding meat next. It won't affect me much since I don't eat a lot of meat anymore.

Very little flour, sugar, yeast, etc. either. I guess a lot of people are baking and cooking from scratch these days. Still no alcohol (not the drinking kind) but I finally found a small bottle of Clorox. No hand sanitizer or Clorox wipes or any kind of disinfectant. Still no TP or paper towels in Publix or Target this week. It's crazy some of the things that people are hoarding.
I think Riviana Foods sells their flagship Ronzoni brand in Florida. Riviana's brands are sold in certain regions, although some of the regions overlap or are in certain portions of some states. Ronzoni is mainly in the Southeast, parts of the Northeast, and parts of the Pacific Northwest. American Beauty is mainly in the western United States. Creamette is primarily in the Midwest, Kentucky, and parts of North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. San Giorgio is mainly in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast outside New England, and Oklahoma. Skinner is mainly in the South Central United States. Prince is mainly in New England, parts of New York, and parts of Illinois and Michigan.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:46 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im having a heck of a time finding bread flour because i make my own bread because i know what is in it .
I've started seeing people on Nextdoor offering to "share" some flour....obviously they bought like a 50# sack in a hoarding panic and now they regret it. Sad. One woman even wanted to "share" some of the 2# bag of YEAST she bought.
SHeesh.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:26 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I've started seeing people on Nextdoor offering to "share" some flour....obviously they bought like a 50# sack in a hoarding panic and now they regret it. Sad. One woman even wanted to "share" some of the 2# bag of YEAST she bought.
SHeesh.
I am reading contempt between these lines, sorry if I am mistaken. Perhaps your neighbors bought those large denominations because the smaller ones were sold out. I was just going to suggest to the earlier poster who could only get an 8 lb sack of rice to see if some of her neighbors would like a lb or two. That is what I would do, rather than hoard all 8 lbs of rice, or 50 lbs of flour in my garage, only to have to throw it out later because it went rancid or got bugs in it.

I don't think sharing is contemptible, I think it is what decent people do when they have more than they need.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:51 AM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I am reading contempt between these lines, sorry if I am mistaken. Perhaps your neighbors bought those large denominations because the smaller ones were sold out. I was just going to suggest to the earlier poster who could only get an 8 lb sack of rice to see if some of her neighbors would like a lb or two. That is what I would do, rather than hoard all 8 lbs of rice, or 50 lbs of flour in my garage, only to have to throw it out later because it went rancid or got bugs in it.

I don't think sharing is contemptible, I think it is what decent people do when they have more than they need.

I think it is perfectly reasonable. On Nextdoor here someone posted they had found some yeast in their pantry and won't be using it so they were offering it to the community.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-04-2020, 10:02 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I've found that any particular food shortages depend on the type of grocery store. The big chains run out of certain things, that smaller locally-owned chains, co-ops and neighborhood supermarkets don't run out of. Also, some of the health-food chains seem to manage to remain stocked of nearly everything; I don't know how they do it. Sprouts is very reliable, IDK if you have one in your area. It's not as popular as Whole Foods, so people seem to overlook it, when they're in hoarding mode. Trader Joe's does pretty well, if you get there by early afternoon or earlier. They have deliveries daily at 8 a.m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.