Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 12:23 AM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, in this household it shows that the cook is tired of thinking too hard about supper. And that her DH absolutely loves spaghetti.
Sure, but you can serve your signature spaghetti sauce over few other shaped noodle. It doesn't have to be the classic spaghetti.
Personally, I prefer to eat it with rotini, rotelle, cavatappi, or gemelli. Those short noodle is so much more friendly to my clothes and my chin lol
If you like long noodle, I don't see why spaghetti sauce wouldn't get great together with linguine?

If you are more of adventurous type, try spaghetti sauce with angel hair pasta. Delicious!!

http://www.dvo.com/recipe_pages/betty/PASTA_BASICS.jpg

Old 05-07-2020, 01:37 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Odd. I bought canned tomatoes and jarred sauce today.

That's because we have no shortages, just supply chain issues. At various times I have found shortages / no shortage of, a variety of things. Plus, that can vary between stores that are just blocks away from each other.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-07-2020, 01:43 AM

8,933 posts, read 4,660,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
A month ago, reports were that wheat production is plentiful (the next report is due out tomorrow). But at the same time, reports of international distribution problems, due to political concerns, came out, and the distribution could be a problem all of this year and next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Because fortunately wheat production is very much handled with machines and very little close human interaction needed unlike meat plants.
Well, to be clear, what is plentiful is wheat being harvested out of the fields this past spring, and new wheat being planted. Transporting, grinding, or other processing, and packaging weren't addressed in the report, so any of those could become an issue.

The distribution issue I referred to is: several countries that grow and export the largest quantities of wheat are restricting exports, and that may affect availability in the rest of the world, including the US.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:52 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
I seldom use macaroni but there's one casserole I like to make and I couldn't find any elbow pasta. Finally found two small bags. I don't eat spaghetti or any kind of pasta very often so it really hasn't mattered.

What we're out of have been things like almond milk, Nestles Quick, and a few other things. Thank goodness a wonderful farm has opened early this year so we're doing great with fresh eggs, milk, root vegetables, and should be all set with vegetables once summer growing season is here. I can't think of any pasta dish I would make during the summer so it's not going to be a problem.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:02 AM

245 posts, read 503,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I saw a woman with a full load of milk after a hurricane. I must have given her a look because she said she was running a coffee shop.

Meat can be frozen. Salad dressing can be used for a lot of stuff.
A couple times a year I buy a dozen bottles of Bernstein Italian dressing when I go to Las Vegas and I ship them home in a Priority Mail box to Florida. Most times I have to go to more than one store to find 12 bottles.

The reason being that Bernstein is not sold in Florida. So I "hoard" it in Las Vegas and ship it home. 12 bottles fill a medium size Flat Rate Priority Mail box.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:35 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Pizza dough, bisquits, etc. Sour dough making is a huge trend right now, and if you don't have starter you need yeast to make a starter.

Bread making has been a total pandemic trend. We had over 60lbs of various flours at the start of the quarantine and we are down to around 30. I use a breadmaker that was given to me, DH makes sour dough, and we do a lot of pizza crusts for the grill, then various bisquits, pie crusts and hoagie rolls.
Holy smoke, 30 pounds of flour????

I've rarely had any bread whatsoever since this began. The pandemic coincided with a March 6 doc visit at which he told me that my blood sugar was going up again and wanted to put me on metformin. I said noooooooooooo, not taking meds for something I can fix with a change in diet.

I'd been away for the month of February and ate way too much bread and drank too much beer, both of which are not good for maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.

I broke down and ordered pizza one night a few weeks ago, and I will do that again one of these days. And one day a friend asked me to look for rye for her on the sale bread rack. I found a smallish loaf of onion rye and bought it and took out four slices for myself, which I ate over the next week. And I have a box of matzo. But that's been in it for the bread consumption. I've lost 15 pounds.

If I was eating all that bread, you'd have to roll me out the door by the time this thing was done! I had no idea that many people baked bread, though, or even made their own pizza dough. I think my sister has a bread maker and does that once in a while.

Also thought making one's own pasta was an 80s fad, but it appears some people do that. Not big on pasta, so I don't miss that.

The things you learn on CD's Food and Drink forum. Apparently there are all these people out there who make their own biscuits, too!

Old 05-07-2020, 09:51 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Canned tomato products have also been MIA in my grocery visits.
I have not noticed that but ... I have 25 cans of diced tomatoes, pureed tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and the like and maybe 7 cans of tomato paste, most of which were on sale back in December.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's because we have no shortages, just supply chain issues. At various times I have found shortages / no shortage of, a variety of things. Plus, that can vary between stores that are just blocks away from each other.
That's right, many plants are destroying food because the restaurants no longer buying wholesale stock. There are few incentives to divert those resource to consumer grade supplies. When I read about the meat shortages then also read how plants have to destroy eggs and meats because restaurants aren't buying them. That's just not a true shortage but a logistic and supply chain problem. Plants will have to adapt to new supply chain.

Fortunately that I tried to buy local produce from local farms, while it is pricier but there are no supply chain issues.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:17 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Holy smoke, 30 pounds of flour????

I've rarely had any bread whatsoever since this began. The pandemic coincided with a March 6 doc visit at which he told me that my blood sugar was going up again and wanted to put me on metformin. I said noooooooooooo, not taking meds for something I can fix with a change in diet.

I'd been away for the month of February and ate way too much bread and drank too much beer, both of which are not good for maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.

I broke down and ordered pizza one night a few weeks ago, and I will do that again one of these days. And one day a friend asked me to look for rye for her on the sale bread rack. I found a smallish loaf of onion rye and bought it and took out four slices for myself, which I ate over the next week. And I have a box of matzo. But that's been in it for the bread consumption. I've lost 15 pounds.

If I was eating all that bread, you'd have to roll me out the door by the time this thing was done! I had no idea that many people baked bread, though, or even made their own pizza dough. I think my sister has a bread maker and does that once in a while.

Also thought making one's own pasta was an 80s fad, but it appears some people do that. Not big on pasta, so I don't miss that.

The things you learn on CD's Food and Drink forum. Apparently there are all these people out there who make their own biscuits, too!

It's mainly my husband. Sour dough is supposed to have a better glycemic rating, so I eat a bit more, but my husband woofs it down. He has no blood sugar issues. My pizza dough is half whole wheat flour with ground flax added in, and I make a whole wheat in the bread maker. I WANT to make pasta, but shouldn't, so I haven't bought the equipment. My sister whips up really good pasta though. I made bisquits the other night. They were my first.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-07-2020, 10:19 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't think of any pasta dish I would make during the summer so it's not going to be a problem.
Pasta salad? I make it often during the summer, in fact I made some this week as we are having a heat wave. It's so versatile because you can throw in a variety of meats/cheeses/vegetables depending on what you have on hand and need to use up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink