Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 12:48 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,267,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Snow, did you guys retire early? You give off a much younger vibe than standard retirement age. Actually, I think many of the retired folks here do!

I'm sorry, I forget which of you was encouraging me to use panko but I agree, I suspect I will be converted soon
We were fortunate enough to be able to retire in our 50's. DH was 55, I was 52. That was 2 years ago this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
I know it will seem strange for Florida this time of the year, but I'm making a pot of turkey soup -- did a turkey breast recently and had to use the leftovers and of course make my own broth. I added a few fresh herbs out of my little garden along with the normal stuff. Just tasted it...so good! I'll just keep the a/c going and enjoy the soup.
ACTSMom, we haven't changed what we eat because we moved to Florida, either. If we feel like turkey soup, that's what we have. I don't understand why not.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:09 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Retired early here-about 10 yrs now but no age divulged! I started life really young.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:38 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,249,488 times
Good Sunday Foodie Friends!

Lacey, I am with you on this one. One advantage of retiring early for me is the fact I could write my cookbook, start another and a tale about "furry white child". lol Balance my Catering & cooking lessons. dh advantage is that he downsized to a 40 work week. If he were home he would be working an 80 hr + week, with wifey as the "Supervisor", it's a rough job but someone has to do it.

Right now I am roasting 1/2 chicken with fresh whole cranberries, fresh dill, rosemary, basil, sage & thyme with honey & chicken broth added. Pan roasted Yukon Gold potatoes and I am going to braise some shallots, mushrooms & broc. crowns. Dessert "The Fresh Market" Lemon Mer. pie and h wants to try his new toy "Cuisinart" Ice Cream maker. That is way too much like baking for me, I will supervisor eating the pie and some choc. store bought ice cream.

Last nights stuffed cabbage and mashers with lots of sp. sauce was delicious with crusty sour dough bread. Yum!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday, I will check back later. kelsie

Old 05-31-2009, 01:41 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,898 times
It's been such a busy week with school letting out for summer and then my youngest was on the Children's Miracle Network this weekend. Too much takeout this week and last night we went to Carrabbas Italian Grill for dinner. It was delicious!

I am going the bbq route today since the kids are splashing around and playing outside in our gorgeous weather.

I'm not making it today, but does anyone have a recipe they love for German Potato Salad?

Old 05-31-2009, 01:44 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,128 times
We are keeping it simple and having a big ole salad topped with leftover "beer can" chicken.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:47 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Good Sunday Foodie Friends!

Lacey, I am with you on this one. One advantage of retiring early for me is the fact I could write my cookbook, start another and a tale about "furry white child". lol Balance my Catering & cooking lessons. dh advantage is that he downsized to a 40 work week. If he were home he would be working an 80 hr + week, with wifey as the "Supervisor", it's a rough job but someone has to do it.

Right now I am roasting 1/2 chicken with fresh whole cranberries, fresh dill, rosemary, basil, sage & thyme with honey & chicken broth added. Pan roasted Yukon Gold potatoes and I am going to braise some shallots, mushrooms & broc. crowns. Dessert "The Fresh Market" Lemon Mer. pie and h wants to try his new toy "Cuisinart" Ice Cream maker. That is way too much like baking for me, I will supervisor eating the pie and some choc. store bought ice cream.

Last nights stuffed cabbage and mashers with lots of sp. sauce was delicious with crusty sour dough bread. Yum!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday, I will check back later. kelsie
Hi Kelsie-did you get the commercial Cuisinart ic maker? We have it and love it-it's so quick. We bought it when kids were coming out 2 yrs. ago and youngest loves coffee i/c and could not find it here so we bought the machine. We had a blast making it everyday and all the kids took turns.

Haven't used it in a long time but Mr. L wants to make some.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:47 PM

479 posts, read 1,456,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
This is MY recipe for goulash---we love it and you can tweek it any way and it can't be bad!
Many people call this American Chop Suey.....

GOULASH

2 ½ -3 lbs ground round
2 onions chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic chopped
16 0z uncooked macaroni noodles
1 large can and one regular sized can of whole tomatoes
V8 juice to taste---optional--you can add some tomatoe sauce if yoiu want it with more sauce.
Salt and pepper to taste
Well that sounds easy enough! I'll have to give it a try. Thank you!

Old 05-31-2009, 01:49 PM

toosie, once you use Panko for Italian meatballs, you will never use breadcrumbs. dh just asked me this morning if I were ever going to use the large container of Progresso BC that I have in the garage, which I bought up in Jersey this winter. My reply was "nope don't think so"!

Moosk., I bought a bottle of Dr. Petes Herb Bacon dressing that I poured over my potato salad last week. Yukon Gold potatoes, crisp bacon, celery, onion some s/p, parsley and the dressing, easy and delicious.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:51 PM

479 posts, read 1,456,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
We were fortunate enough to be able to retire in our 50's. DH was 55, I was 52. That was 2 years ago this summer.

ACTSMom, we haven't changed what we eat because we moved to Florida, either. If we feel like turkey soup, that's what we have. I don't understand why not.
You have a great point there! Guess soups and stews just 'sound' more like winter foods. Maybe I'll even try some chili in July!

Old 05-31-2009, 02:00 PM

Lacey, yes that is what h brought home. I am going to have him make me some home made peach ice cream this week to have with this pie, now maybe I can gain some weight too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink