Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 03:36 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times

Advertisements

Ahhhhhhhh, I don't want to even hear about Tri-tip!! I so miss it here. I still have a couple of places to look for it like Cosco but I don't even have a Cosco card. We have Sams as it is closer for us and Sams doesn't have Tri-tip!!
I did get 12 roses planted and I am tired. This soil---even after tilling is miserable to work with. It's friggin' red clay and since it rained it once again clumped together!! I am adding soil conditioner as I go.... Tomorrow is another day---only 11 more bushes to plant. I am so tired but dinner looks like burritos still and then American Idol. Then sleep!!

Old 04-08-2009, 03:40 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,545,108 times
Hello all, seeing as how I have lots of time on my hands now I can get back to some cooking instead of the hubby doing it. Made stuffed pork chops with green beans for a side. Great buy I found today while shopping at the commissary, 1 1/4" pork chops for a $1.37 lb..woohoo!!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:07 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,093,187 times
I made a version of this Russian Chicken Cutlets The Cookbook Junkie: A new recipe triggers an old memory with a mushroom gravy.

It came out really well! I would make it again. Next time I will follow the suggestion to put the mixture back in the fridge so it will firm up before pan frying. It became very soft toward the end. I think I would also use panko next time too instead of Italian bread crumbs too.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:09 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,566 times
Going to sing karaoke with 23 people and eat Mexican tonight.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,843 times
Cyn: get some well needed rest, see you tomorrow.

Dinner turned out wonderful and so easy. Thinly sliced pork loin in c. broth to keep moist, mashed potatoes, and a spring tomato salad with evoo & red vinegar, rolls & butter. Have enough left over for h lunch tomorrow.

Enjoy your evening everyone, see you tomorrow. kelsie

Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Well during my nap wife came home and fixed popcorn chicken with oven fries and a tomato wedged up. Quick and easy. Got to go with her to the knee doc tomorrow and getting up with the birds is going to be a challenge.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:11 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Nathan's hot-dogs tonight, maybe not quite as good as when there's the sounds of surf & seagulls in the background and sand squishing between your toes but a reasonably good imitation

Old 04-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on how to cook those sirloin tips......they were delicious. I thought that they needed long slow cooking and were to be served in a gravy over noodles or something like that.....braising. That would have worked but it would have been a bit like Dinty Moore.

As it was I didn't use the wine.....I did pretty much as you said....in my wok, I cooked up onion, red bell peppers (so pretty) garlic and shiitake mushrooms in a cold pressed virgin olive oil and butter...then removed them from the pan....added a bit more butter and oil and quick seared the meat and cooked a minute or two....and threw the vegetables back and served it over rice.*.....DELICIOUS-O!

* I just remembered that I did toss a splash of wasabi-ginger grilling/dipping sauce over the meat and veggies as I plated it.
Glad you liked them, Elston. I used to only order them out at restaurants, but once I figured out how easy, quick and good they are, I do them at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
No, he moved out. He said it was too crowded in the freezer.
Good one, George!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A question from the 'cuts' challeged: Are steak tips something that generally come packaged in supermarkets or must they be ordered from a butcher? I did see 'tip steak' in a package at the market but it was a pretty big chunk of meat.
Burdell, you want to have a fairly tender cut of steak (sirloin, tenderloin, for examples) for them to work out. Otherwise, you would want to make stew with them. In a resataurant, you'll usually see them called Sirloin Tips or Tenderloin Tips, depending on which cut they use. They typically cube them up into bite-size or slightly larger pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Burdell......I wasnt familiar with steak tips either.....other than having seen them on menues....and then they seemed to be always in gravy and served on a bed of noodles....at least that is what I thought I remembered.

I found these in the supermarket meat counter...not special ordered....they happened to be at the end where they have the Black Angus beef....they labeled them Bl. A. Sirloin Steak tips. (Tip Steak is something else and I am not sure what).....they were nicely marbelized boneless strips of beef about 5 inches long; they were very uniform in shape. I had thought they would require long cooking but actually they were very tender and tasty.....no waste at all.

I am thinking that the name is a regional cut (Boston Massachussets and New England) just like they have tri-tip out in California and Pikes Peak cut in the western mts. But NMS knew about them down in Florida.

If I see it again.....I am buying it.
Yeh, but I'm from New York, remember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Ahhhhhhhh, I don't want to even hear about Tri-tip!! I so miss it here. I still have a couple of places to look for it like Cosco but I don't even have a Cosco card. We have Sams as it is closer for us and Sams doesn't have Tri-tip!!
I did get 12 roses planted and I am tired. This soil---even after tilling is miserable to work with. It's friggin' red clay and since it rained it once again clumped together!! I am adding soil conditioner as I go.... Tomorrow is another day---only 11 more bushes to plant. I am so tired but dinner looks like burritos still and then American Idol. Then sleep!!
See? I've never heard of tri-tip till I got involved with this crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Well during my nap wife came home and fixed popcorn chicken with oven fries and a tomato wedged up. Quick and easy. Got to go with her to the knee doc tomorrow and getting up with the birds is going to be a challenge.
Best of luck with wifey's knee, Nomad.

Dinner tonight was a turkey dinner w/almost all the trimmings - stuffing, smashed redskin 'taters, steamed green beans, carrots, gravy, fresh cukes and homemade applesauce. I could explode at any moment.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:51 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,738,125 times
Tonight for dinner I had a salad.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:38 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
Loooooong day again. Balance sheet reconciliations are progressing, but slowly, and other stuff keeps cropping up to drag me away from the ticking and tying. Got a meeting with our new audit team tomorrow, so that'll wipe out most of the morning, which means that tomorrow night will be another long one, too. Unless, of course, I get lucky and the remaining variances jump right off the page at me. And if that happens, I'm going to buy a lottery ticket while my luck is still good.

The spouse very wisely opted for falafel and raita tonight; no hummus, not just for the two of us, but that's fine. We don't really need that much food. He experimented with a spinach dish that was, well, um, interesting. I know it had frozen leaf spinach, onion, garlic and a bunch of spices, and it was quite different. Interesting, definitely.

Got a call a little bit ago from one of the folks who has agreed to co-chair the 2010 convention that we work on every year, and she asked the spouse to be the third co-chair with her and another volunteer, which just delights me. He and I were co-chairs with a third friend for the 2007 convention, and I know the two folks who are doing it for next year will really appreciate his experience. And all three personalities mesh really well, which is critically important for a huge project like this one. So he'll be a busy lad for the next year, or rather a busier one, but he'll be having fun. And that's a good thing to see happen.

Still have to get through the dishes and take a shower, so I'll wish you all a good night. See you tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink