Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 05:55 PM

119 posts, read 112,598 times

Advertisements

atl has a lotta nice areas outside the city limits, as does charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 06:32 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
I feel for you guys about the grocery store clerk issues; I remember when I first moved here, I went to Publix and I was looking for an item, and this clerk gave me a huge attitude and asked "WHAT?" I just kind of walked away...

Old 08-02-2008, 07:55 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2fish View Post
unlike many areas of ft lauderdale.
Where the hell do you think I live? Weston was hardly my only choice if I don't want to get robbed walking outside, I had at least a dozen other cities with 50k+ people that rank well for safety on a national scale. It's also nice to live in such a safe area and not be in the sticks like you are in an area with comparable crime level an hour outside of Charlotte. I don't know where you can avoid break-ins anywhere within 50 miles of that city. I have been a victim of crime three times in my life- once I was pickpocked in Coconut Grove in Miami (oblivion on my part, having too much fun), once time I had my unlocked (oblivion on my part) car burglarized in Atlanta (actually Lawrenceville a good 45 minutes (when the traffic is moving) outside of Atlanta), and one time I had my lock cracked outside of Charlotte (Huntersville) with nothing in sight in my car. Go figure. I will take the rude people.

I'm not just saying that to say that either, I swear. My luck that it had to happen to be in the two promised lands. Bottom line is you can say that all you want, but if you put up stats of the Ft. Lauderdale area (just including Broward County) vs ALL of metro Atlanta (including surrounding areas) and all of the Charlotte area (also including surrounding areas), the latter two lose by far. It's mostly perception, but I suppose perception is reality. The crime rate is above average here but not significantly so. It's about right for a metropolitan area that is relatively varied socially. The BIGGEST issue, to this day, is expense, and now you can add the economy on to that, but that seems to lead a lot of people to complain about other things, seemingly everything but the economic issues. It's also relatively crowded unless you are coming from NYC or Chicago so that can definitely make people antsy, and yes there is the major transient element in many areas, unfortunately it's most dominant in poorer or working class areas or on the east side of the county. Yes there are other problems and there is crime and rude people and Hispanics (which I never knew was a "problem" until I joined here) but it's nothing that is any better in the so called Charlotte promised land. Just look at some of the people who are leaving and tell me how long the "friendly people" will last.

addition- I think the bottom line is that if you sit where you live right now and wallow in the police blotter all day, and then go to (insert place here) and not even turn on the news, of course you will think it's safer!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-02-2008 at 09:10 PM..

Old 08-03-2008, 12:49 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
Yes , all people in Atlanta are sweet and friendly .. right ... don't forget to mention the very , very high crime rate , mind boggling traffic on the GA 400 and everywhere else for that matter , poor air quality , terrible schools
( worse than Florida ) and did I mention racial tensions between blacks and whites ?

I am so glad you feel safe ... I do not share your blind optimism about Atlanta ... you can have it .
I will still take it over South Florida, anyday...Bring it on baby!! It beats tension between blacks, whites and latinos, doesn't it? ...(3 groups fighting is worse than 2)....I dont even want to get started with South Florida..I'll let everyone vent. As I read everyone's reply, I shake my head in agreement with most posts, except yours.. j/k....

Rick Sanchez (Cuban CNN reporter) left South Florida for Atlanta....It can't be that bad, can it?...(Im ROFLMAO on this one, give me time to recover from stomach pains ).

Old 08-03-2008, 07:01 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I will still take it over South Florida, anyday...Bring it on baby!! It beats tension between blacks, whites and latinos, doesn't it?
When I got home here from Atlanta, it seemed like everyone was singing Kum-By-Yah...trust me, it's worse there. Like most other cities people tend to live in their niche neighborhood and shop by demographics rather than proximity to work or desirability but it's amplified in Atlanta because of the politics and general image of the area. If you are the type that thinks NYC is integrated and there aren't kids (and adults alike sometimes) beating up blacks (and vise versa) several times a year just for entering the wrong neighborhood, who knows, you may think it's fine there. There is hate everywhere, but that sort of thing seems to very seldom happen in Florida in general.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
I will still take it over South Florida, anyday...Bring it on baby!! It beats tension between blacks, whites and latinos, doesn't it? ...(3 groups fighting is worse than 2)....I dont even want to get started with South Florida..I'll let everyone vent. As I read everyone's reply, I shake my head in agreement with most posts, except yours.. j/k....

Rick Sanchez (Cuban CNN reporter) left South Florida for Atlanta....It can't be that bad, can it?...(Im ROFLMAO on this one, give me time to recover from stomach pains ).
I have friends and cousins living in Atlanta. I have been a few times. It is very segregated over there. BUT the people were extremely nice. I was shocked to see how openly people would speak to you. I remember being in a shop and some guy said something to me, so I turned around to see who he was talking too. He said I am talking to you boss. I apologized and said I live in S. Florida, I am not used to people speaking to me out of the blue like that. He laughed and then we had a nice convo after that. That is just one example but EVERYONE I came across up there was just really nice. So its not bad at all, just extremely segregated.

Also, the people there seem to be stuck in the 60s with the mentalities. That is what I picked up on, and thats not my thing. So I guess if you can get over the silly mentality there it isnt so bad.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:09 AM

167 posts, read 199,756 times
Quote:

My sister lives in Atlanta ... Duluth ( John's Creek ) to be exact so I know the area well ... they live in an upscale area .. yet have had their home burglarized , car broken into in downtown Atlanta ( twice ) there are gangs in the schools , which by the way are rated lower than in South Florida and yes have gotten grief from neighbors for not going to church every Sunday !!!

Did I mention the illegal immigrant population is growing by the day ... yes the Hispanic population is exploding in the Atlanta Metro area .. which is a sore point for many on here .

Rick Sanchez left for a job opportunity let's hope you follow him soon so you can surround yourself with "nice " people such as yourself all day

Old 08-03-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
My sister lives in Atlanta ... Duluth ( John's Creek ) to be exact so I know the area well ... they live in an upscale area .. yet have had their home burglarized , car broken into in downtown Atlanta ( twice ) there are gangs in the schools , which by the way are rated lower than in South Florida and yes have gotten grief from neighbors for not going to church every Sunday !!!

Did I mention the illegal immigrant population is growing by the day ... yes the Hispanic population is exploding in the Atlanta Metro area .. which is a sore point for many on here .

Rick Sanchez left for a job opportunity let's hope you follow him soon so you can surround yourself with "nice " people such as yourself all day

You show me one area that does not have crime, burglaries, gang activities in the USA, I will leave everything right now, and move there!! Let's not be naive, it's all over. You tell me Weston does not have the same problems you mentioned? Didn't someone post a thread about a home invasion in Weston? I was not talking about crime in my post, was I ? That's a whole different topic that can easily turn into a cockfight...Not the point of this thread. I never mentioned anything about crime in my response to your post. Why are you taking this thread there?

I have friends that live in Atlanta, PTC, Cartersville, Buckhead, Alpharetta, Lawrenceville, College Park, Roswell, Marietta, Neunan, Cascade Falls to name a few places, and I go there every two months..literally (going there in two weeks). I know Atlanta pretty well, have spent summers there, go different seasons, mingle with people, get around the same way I do here and in NYC. I dont go there as a tourist at this point. I'd say it is much better than South Florida in many ways (no place is perfect), but this thread is not about Atlanta versus South Florida. Yes, I will leave in due time. You can have Weston . I never liked it. Pembroke Pines, West Miramar, Cooper City and Davie offered more housing and amenities for less at the time, and dont get me started about illegal immigration in S. Florida, or Weston for that matter. Yes, you can have the zero lot line, 1/8 of an acre properties of Weston ....(Prices are still going down, so that's a good thing for people who care to stay and buy down here).

And yes, I hope to see my Cubanito friend Rick Sanchez soon..... (We all know he relocated for a career move. WSVN Cahnnel 7 offered nothing more than a gossip-like news atmosphere with no progress, or professionalism....in typical South Florida fashion). Hispanic population exploding is an over statement. Not exploding, my friend. It's growing, not exploding...Let's use our words carefully, while not getting into semantics..

Old 08-03-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
When I got home here from Atlanta, it seemed like everyone was singing Kum-By-Yah...trust me, it's worse there. Like most other cities people tend to live in their niche neighborhood and shop by demographics rather than proximity to work or desirability but it's amplified in Atlanta because of the politics and general image of the area. If you are the type that thinks NYC is integrated and there aren't kids (and adults alike sometimes) beating up blacks (and vise versa) several times a year just for entering the wrong neighborhood, who knows, you may think it's fine there. There is hate everywhere, but that sort of thing seems to very seldom happen in Florida in general.

I lived in NYC and have to agree with you. I remember Bensonhurst (Yusseff Hawkins) and Crown Heights very well. I dont think racial tension wants to be reported in South Florida, so yes you will hear less incidents about it here. Aside from crime, joblessness, high taxes, insurance, expensive housing, S Florida wants to be painted as the sunny paradise it is not. Racial tension is not uncommon though. Everyone is trying to sweep things like that under the rug. Hate is everywhere, and South Florida is no exception. For crying out loud, you have Cubans, Colombians hating the PRs, Dominicans, Nicaraguans etc, for pointless reasons. We're talking about same ethnic groups hating on each other, worse than your African American hating the Haitian/Jamaican variety. If you heard things these people say about their other hispanic breathren, it's a shame.
Dont get me started on that...The hate here has not manifested itself in a violent fashion, yet. Let's hope it does not have to either.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:08 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
I lived in NYC and have to agree with you. I remember Bensonhurst (Yusseff Hawkins) and Crown Heights very well. I dont think racial tension wants to be reported in South Florida, so yes you will hear less incidents about it here. Aside from crime, joblessness, high taxes, insurance, expensive housing, S Florida wants to be painted as the sunny paradise it is not. Racial tension is not uncommon though. Everyone is trying to sweep things like that under the rug. Hate is everywhere, and South Florida is no exception. For crying out loud, you have Cubans, Colombians hating the PRs, Dominicans, Nicaraguans etc, for pointless reasons. We're talking about same ethnic groups hating on each other, worse than your African American hating the Haitian/Jamaican variety. If you heard things these people say about their other hispanic breathren, it's a shame.
Dont get me started on that...The hate here has not manifested itself in a violent fashion, yet. Let's hope it does not have to either.
This is true, I was walking downtown Fort Lauderdale the other day with my kid and some kids screamed out "black people suck" in front of my 5 year old son and I. Thought that was rather crappy of them. a friend of mine who lives in this particular neighborhood also told me he was constantly harrased by the PD over there as well.

As for Crown heights, that tension is still there. There was something going on over there a few months ago between the hassidics and the blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area