Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus381969 View Post
I'm new to Florida, just moved from Kauai. I am not used to people not conversating in a line of a grocery store, or talking story with someone sitting on a bench.People look at me strange when I do these things, my husband always reminds me, " Hon, this is not Kauai". I see that , I'm sure I will adapt......eventually
My husband is originally from Virginia. He's lived here for over 2 years now and he's still getting used to that. I have to keep reminding him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 04:19 PM

167 posts, read 199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Thank you..(And dont worry, I wont forget my spanish either, I have to keep it fresh, for my trips back down here) ..

"Vaya con Dios " is pretty much all the Spanish that I know !!!

Good Luck

Old 08-04-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus381969 View Post
I'm new to Florida, just moved from Kauai. I am not used to people not conversating in a line of a grocery store, or talking story with someone sitting on a bench.People look at me strange when I do these things, my husband always reminds me, " Hon, this is not Kauai". I see that , I'm sure I will adapt......eventually
Anyhow I give up ... I guess I am the only person in South Florida who everyone is not unfriendly too all of the time .. again most people are also nice to me when I am courteous to them ... black , white and hispanic .. yes there are exceptions , but treat people as you would want them to treat you in kind and it will be returned the majority of the time ... then again maybe it is my "rugged good looks" and expensive cologne

Old 08-04-2008, 04:27 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
Anyhow I give up ... I guess I am the only person in South Florida who everyone is not unfriendly too all of the time .. again most people are also nice to me when I am courteous to them ... black , white and hispanic .. yes there are exceptions , but treat people as you would want them to treat you in kind and it will be returned the majority of the time ... then again maybe it is my "rugged good looks" and expensive cologne
I agree with others. I don't think people are friendly here. Not compared to other places I have lived.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM

119 posts, read 112,631 times
ok, cane fan. more professional, educated folks reside in miami than atlanta. i doubt it, in fact, i am positive its the opposite, but not worth arguing over. doesnt really matter.

Last edited by like2fish; 08-04-2008 at 06:31 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2fish View Post
ok, cane fan. more professional, educated folks reside in miami than atlanta. i doubt it, in fact, i am positive its the opposite, but not worth arguing over. doesnt really matter.
Georgia school system is awesome , every one is nice , as well as being very intellectual in Atlanta ... many more educated professional folks as you say in Atlanta than South Florida ... not just Miami but all of South Florida ... yes , yes you are correct and I will no longer argue the point ... Atlanta is the Athens of the America's ... ok chapter closed on my end . Thank You

Old 08-04-2008, 07:19 PM

159 posts, read 456,177 times
I stay away from the bad areas, yes, there is crime everywhere. I live ten miles from town in a beautiful area and the people are friendly in Georgia. I don't have to get on the expressway so that's not a problem for me. Of course, anyone having to commute runs into traffic, but I refuse to drive very far. Not everyone gets stuck in traffic. A lot of people live close to work, that's the secret. You have to know where to live and I know Atlanta. The people in Florida are not friendly and I've been in different towns.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1113 View Post
I stay away from the bad areas, yes, there is crime everywhere. I live ten miles from town in a beautiful area and the people are friendly in Georgia. I don't have to get on the expressway so that's not a problem for me. Of course, anyone having to commute runs into traffic, but I refuse to drive very far. Not everyone gets stuck in traffic. A lot of people live close to work, that's the secret. You have to know where to live and I know Atlanta. The people in Florida are not friendly and I've been in different towns.

Yes , Georgia is a paradise .... I will be packing my bags and moving there tomorrow .... no one on Florida is friendly ... not the good people of Jacksonville , Daytona Beach , Gainesville , The Panhandle , Tampa ... yikes they are all like Miamians but with Southern accents !!!!

Georgia here I come , so ya'll better git ouuta the way !!!

Old 08-05-2008, 03:31 PM

119 posts, read 112,631 times
cane fan, u make me laugh man. of course there are nice, educated ppl in south fla. i didnt say there werent. that's stupid. i said there was more educated folks in atl. i really dont think you can dispute that man

Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,914 times
Here's another case of South Florida rearing its ugly head. I live minutes away from where it happened. West PPines, to be exact (not too far from Weston, Cane Fan). Sad, but another issue with South Florida, rude drivers, and their road rage gone wrong. It's all over the news. My prayers are with the Fed's family. I was going to the post office to get some stamps, before taking the kids to the park, and this happened. Be Vigilant.

Miami News, Fort Lauderdale News, Florida News & Weather Channel 7 Fox Miami WSVN-TV - Local News - Federal agent fatally shot outside South Florida post office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area