Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 04:30 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
Excuse me but I have family in the Atlanta area and I never said I did not like it or would never live there ... I just do not find it any better or worse than South Florida as both areas have their pros and cons ... if friendliness is your thing than Houston beats both Atlanta and Charlotte .. people DO NOT STOP to help you change a tire in Atlanta that is BS .. whenever I am up there I see people broken down off the side of I-75 or the GA 400 and DO NOT SEE anyone rushing to help them .. some posters here have this "Nirvana" view of Atlanta and Charlotte that are just not real ... yes both cities have their upside .. but they also come with crime , rude people , ghettos ( Atlanta has ghettos that make Sistrunk Avenue look like Disneyworld !!

I like it down here and I realize others do not , South Florida , Atlanta and Charlotte have their positives and negatives ... my issue is with people grossly embellishing both the positives of Atlanta , Charlotte and the negatives of South Florida . Again people that do not like it down here have the right to leave and should do so and soon .. make yourselves happy and us that do like it here as well . Thank You
This is exactly how I feel, and yes Houston is much more AUTHENTICALLY friendly than any of those places. Well, they have that big Texas pride, but I think it's warranted...Atlanta has jobs and cheap housing, Houston is a world class city with jobs and cheap housing. Not nearly as much hype at Atlanta or Charlotte but it deserves more. I think it gets a bad rep from the oil refineries/etc.

And yes, Sistrunk/Sunland Park, Deepside (Lauderhill) and Collier City (Pompano) are the worst ghettos in Broward IMO and honestly they are laughable compared to ghettos in Atlanta. There are some "middle end" suburbs that have areas like that in Atlanta. At least there are defined lines around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 04:38 PM

167 posts, read 200,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
You just dont know how bad I want to leave...Next summer, South Florida is all yours.......(enjoy your declining property value as well, hope you bought in pre 2000)..

Read this article, and see if you can help your beloved state....get out of its misery...

Is Florida the Sunset State? - TIME
Good you do not know how bad I want you to leave .. just looking out for you and your best interests .. actually my beloved state is Texas where I was born and will probably move back within three years .. I just happen to like Florida and in fact really love some areas especially on the West Coast and in North Palm Beach County ... have lived in Weston for almost twelve years and could not be happier .. yes property values dropped as they should have .. now prices are more in line with what they should be ... they did not drop in value in Atlanta as much due to the fact that they never increased as much .. you will not have a problem finding a cheap house in Atlanta as they are languishing on the market as long as houses in South Florida ... I am sure it will be a matter of time before you are griping on the Atlanta forum ... good luck amigo !!

Yes I already read the above article .. I am sure Florida will bounce back , but I will probably be back in Houston by then and you will have lived in another three cities after you have departed Atlanta ... I hear the people in Boise , Idaho are real nice .. again good luck

Old 08-03-2008, 04:41 PM

119 posts, read 112,750 times
"actually my beloved state is Texas where I was born and will probably move back within three years .."

lol. good luck to you too man.

didnt say ppl would pull over on the busiest interstate running through ATL and help change a tire, but you got my drift. people are friendlier up there, we establsihed that, but just because one may find it odd, doesnt mean it aint genuine. thats my point.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
This is exactly how I feel, and yes Houston is much more AUTHENTICALLY friendly than any of those places. Well, they have that big Texas pride, but I think it's warranted...Atlanta has jobs and cheap housing, Houston is a world class city with jobs and cheap housing. Not nearly as much hype at Atlanta or Charlotte but it deserves more. I think it gets a bad rep from the oil refineries/etc.

And yes, Sistrunk/Sunland Park, Deepside (Lauderhill) and Collier City (Pompano) are the worst ghettos in Broward IMO and honestly they are laughable compared to ghettos in Atlanta. There are some "middle end" suburbs that have areas like that in Atlanta. At least there are defined lines around here.
I am with you on Houston ... I was there a few weeks ago and the new Downtown Park ( Discovery Park ) just opened and the Houston Pavillions is opening soon ... they are really making an effort to entice tourists and egad the word "zoning " is being thrown around again as people want to clean up the unsightly signage on I-10 & I-45 from Houston to The Woodlands ... I think that Houston is a much more vibrant city than Atlanta or Charlotte ...will probably move back there in the future , but South Florida will always have a place in my heart .

Old 08-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2fish View Post
"actually my beloved state is Texas where I was born and will probably move back within three years .."

lol. good luck to you too man.

didnt say ppl would pull over on the busiest interstate running through ATL and help change a tire, but you got my drift. people are friendlier up there, we establsihed that, but just because one may find it odd, doesnt mean it aint genuine. thats my point.

Ok , yes people are friendlier up there .. no doubt .. but I find that if you are friendly here you will be treated in kind most of the time .. that is all .

Old 08-03-2008, 04:46 PM

119 posts, read 112,750 times
"but South Florida will always have a place in my heart ."

me too my brotha, i was born and raised in pbc. wouldnt move back for a million dollars now. unless it was pbg or jupiter.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2fish View Post
"but South Florida will always have a place in my heart ."

me too my brotha, i was born and raised in pbc. wouldnt move back for a million dollars now. unless it was pbg or jupiter.
Read the post today in the Atlanta forum by atlantagreg30127 the moderator on "what I would do different if I were to move to Atlanta ".. interesting take is it not ?

BTW , I am with you on PBG & Jupiter .. throw in Tequesta and Stuart as well .

Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I will still take it over South Florida, anyday...Bring it on baby!! It beats tension between blacks, whites and latinos, doesn't it? ...(3 groups fighting is worse than 2)....I dont even want to get started with South Florida..I'll let everyone vent. As I read everyone's reply, I shake my head in agreement with most posts, except yours.. j/k....

Rick Sanchez (Cuban CNN reporter) left South Florida for Atlanta....It can't be that bad, can it?...(Im ROFLMAO on this one, give me time to recover from stomach pains ).
Morgan Quitno's 7th Annual Safest City Award in Dangerous Rank Order

Nuff said !!!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,425,406 times
Sounds like someone is fixated on MrNY....

Having lived in NYC, Orlando, South Florida, Dominican Republic (and no Im not latino), and spent extended times in Montreal, I will say South Florida pleases me the least. That's coming from the fact that I've been in many places, and this one does not have what I like, never has. I am not saying Atlanta and its surrounding suburbs/towns are perfect, and I'm not expecting perfection either. That, first of all is non existant. Plus me being in different areas has nothing with me being a malcontent, just to clear the air. The moves were due to school, work and different opportunities during their respective times.

As for why I like Atlanta, how much time do you have?

I'm not your typical, jump to the next hot spot kind of person, if that's what you're thinking, cause if that were the case, I may have already missed the bus for Atlanta, lol. I have numerous reasons why I am making my move there.
Real estate is nice up there, but I'm not rushing to buy property there. I may have missed the bus on some good findings there as well, but is it too late? Am I in a rush to buy? Those are things that I have been looking at, and will continue to do. Im in no financial issues, don't have debt (as in credit card, school loans, upside down mortgage etc), not even a car note (cars have been paid off long ago), dont have property here losing value, very good credit, and so forth. I dont live in a bad area, made a good amount of money during my divorce on houses we bought at the time in Central Florida. (Glad I'm not stuck with the houses, and these taxes, so to let you know, I'm not the norm of South Floridians trying to leave because of either financial mistakes or because of failed high expectations of the place. Not me....No Ma'am..Hope you get an idea of what my situation is like. In plain English, I dont like it..and will be making my move in due time. I will still come to visit friends and family, but to live, I don't want to, and working on leaving summer 2009. The same way Cane Fan loves it, I dont. I dont hate it to the point that I wish it never existed, but I have no love for the place, the same way he does not like Atlanta. It's fair on both ends.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
In plain English, I dont like it..

Well, I can't dispute that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area