Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:34 AM

45 posts, read 171,856 times

Advertisements

To answer the original question:

Yes, the job market really is that bad...and it's only going to get worse.

We currently have a 9.5% unemployment rate heading into "Season." The unemployment rate may stabilize (a bit) due to "Season," but then will return to its regularly scheduled meteoric rise. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it continued to rise (not meteorically, but inch up) even during "Season."

Welcome to Lower-Lower Michigan.

Even if you move down here with a job, be wary--especially if it's a service industry position. More jobs are being lost every day.

People are leaving here in droves because there are no jobs. They are returning to their home states (many times to live with family members), countries, or to places where they have heard their is work (I know families who have left--with no work lined up in advance--for TN, MS, TX, NC).

Everyone I know is concerned.

Personally, I'd love to get out of this area, but I'd be stupid to leave because I have a job with a decent amount of seniority. I am very, very fortunate to have the job I have...and to not own a home. (You have no idea how thankful I am to not be tethered to a home. I have a few friends who are more than 100K over-under and are completely trapped.)

I would like to add that this whole debacle really shouldn't be a surprise to people. The writing has been on the wall for, at least the last seven years.

The next five years (at least) are going to be tough not just for SW Florida, but for the nation.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:50 AM

171 posts, read 622,124 times
Talking What I'm saying is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I'm not sure I'm understanding your quote. Are you saying if you are from the North/Midwest, that it is harder to find a job, because of the better work ethics Northerners normally have?

I thought that was only prevelant in NC and SC...I thought I may get away from that type of thinking if I moved to Florida, where there seems (at least to me) to have a different culture.

EX: Job interview Concord NC at a transportation logistics company

And I quote " Ya'll don't talk like no yankee" great use of the English language not to mention it was against the law to talk to the job applicant that way. THis was from their purchasing manager.
in my limited experiences here in Florida I sensed that I was percieved as a threat and that people like me (ex-northerners) might somehow take their jobs. I felt they could do without me just fine (unless I was an unpaid volunteer) and "Why don't you go back up north" was always just on the tip of their tongues.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:51 AM

45 posts, read 171,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
in my limited experiences here in Florida I sensed that I was percieved as a threat and that people like me (ex-northerners) might somehow take their jobs. I felt they could do without me just fine (unless I was an unpaid volunteer) and "Why don't you go back up north" was always just on the tip of their tongues.

Augie, almost everyone down here is an ex-northerner.

I am not exaggerating (please note, I include those from the midwest in the northerner classification--it's still north to us. Even Kentucky isn't exactly a southern state). I know very few people who are from here.

Even those you might consider as from this area aren't. Ask where their parents are from...ten to one, it's not Lee County or anywhere in Florida.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:45 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
[quote=FSU_Alum;6339905]Augie, almost everyone down here is an ex-northerner.
That is what I was thinking. You even have some ex Californians as a couple of my sisters lived in Key West. They have since left but tell me that you can still find Californians in the state.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:58 AM

171 posts, read 622,124 times
Smile I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Alum View Post
Augie, almost everyone down here is an ex-northerner.

I am not exaggerating (please note, I include those from the midwest in the northerner classification--it's still north to us. Even Kentucky isn't exactly a southern state). I know very few people who are from here.

Even those you might consider as from this area aren't. Ask where their parents are from...ten to one, it's not Lee County or anywhere in Florida.
Everybody is an ex-something. To clarify my opinion, I meant anyone who at this point considers themselves a "Floridian" despite their roots. It is true that it seems that there are more "ex-somethings" than true Floridians that go back generations. That being said, I refer to people with vested interests who feel threatened by competition from new arrivals. For the most part they are charming, friendly and nice, but don't step too hard on their turf. You get the feeling that, were it possible, they would be most happy if you just sent the tourism/retirement $$$ down, but stayed home up north. But that's in a perfect world...for them. It is understandable, but not realistic.

Anyhow, I like Florida and consider myself a Floridian albeit with a Jersey Soprano accent which no one lets me forget.

Getting back on topic, I'm very sad for those people struggling. I hope the Obama administration comes up with a solution. Working on creating useful good paying jobs repairing our crumbling infrastructure sounds like a great start. I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving despite the tough times!

Old 11-30-2008, 05:40 PM

66 posts, read 216,584 times
As a new Floridian (former Ohioian) eeryone has been friendly, informative, and helpful in person. These blogs are the only place I end up seeing negativity. When I talk with my family and friends in New York, Texas, Ohio, etc. they are all concerned about rising unemployment, foreclosures, the economy, and tough times. Southwest Florida is no different, and there are counties up north with far higher unemployment rates. I hope our President-elect makes some changes for the sake of the nation soon.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:24 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Well, the last two posts above both speak to the "hope" that our newly elected president in waiting will enact some miracles to save our hides.....
All the changes that the government makes, will not do one thing, unless the prople are willing to take responsibility for their own actions, and change the way they do things on an individual basis.
Saying that you "feel sad for those struggling" and experiencing tough times, means little when you hire (likely) illegal, uninsured, unlicensed, aliens to do a job, because they'll do it for pennies on the dollar, of what the legal, legit, tax paying citizen can do it for....
A double standard to be certain, eh Augie?
When Obama puts forth his ideas, how many will look the other way, because there is sacrifice to be made for the good of all? Most, I would bet, because after all, not in my backyard, and not out of my pocketbook is the tune most Americans march too.
Will you be part of the problem, or part of the solution?........Obama cant do anything without us, unless he declares martial law, and rules by decree with dictatorial power. Perhaps thats what we're waiting for?.........

Last edited by Compression; 11-30-2008 at 09:39 PM..

Old 12-16-2008, 05:08 PM

66 posts, read 216,584 times
Well, obviously Obama can inspire and provide direction, but Americans need to act if they want change too. I didn't see anywhere where Augie or I indicated we are likely hiring illegals. I don't get the comment I guess. At my job I do the hiring, and I am not some weathly owner of a company. I have never hired an illegal and would be fired if I did.

I know that my situation is better than some, because at least I am treading water. Many are losing everything. Have you ever been to Immokolee and seen the rural blight and poverty? Did you see the multiple families living in the same 8x13 "house" to get by? Did you see where another slavery ring was busted out there? I know its the crop pickers and some may be illegal - but they are human and deserve better than to be chained up at night and be forced to pick crops for free - illegal or not.

The shared hope of many is that Obama can fix these situations and help develop economic plans to save us. I used to be a Republican and now I'm independent. I made two mistakes - voting for Bush both times. Don't tear down mine and others hope because you don't feel hopeful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Well, the last two posts above both speak to the "hope" that our newly elected president in waiting will enact some miracles to save our hides.....
All the changes that the government makes, will not do one thing, unless the prople are willing to take responsibility for their own actions, and change the way they do things on an individual basis.
Saying that you "feel sad for those struggling" and experiencing tough times, means little when you hire (likely) illegal, uninsured, unlicensed, aliens to do a job, because they'll do it for pennies on the dollar, of what the legal, legit, tax paying citizen can do it for....
A double standard to be certain, eh Augie?
When Obama puts forth his ideas, how many will look the other way, because there is sacrifice to be made for the good of all? Most, I would bet, because after all, not in my backyard, and not out of my pocketbook is the tune most Americans march too.
Will you be part of the problem, or part of the solution?........Obama cant do anything without us, unless he declares martial law, and rules by decree with dictatorial power. Perhaps thats what we're waiting for?.........

Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingCapeCoral View Post
At my job I do the hiring, and I am not some weathly owner of a company. I have never hired an illegal and would be fired if I did.
Don't tear down mine and others hope because you don't feel hopeful.

Sorry if my post was somewhat vague. I certainly did NOT mean to imply that YOU were hiring illegals. And I publicly apologize here, to any and all that may have construed my comments as being applicable to YOU. I sent YOU a PM to explain further.

As far as hope is concerned, I'm not trying to dash anyone's hopes for a bright future. And I wish only the best for all...........................

Old 12-18-2008, 06:56 AM

331 posts, read 1,544,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingCapeCoral View Post
I made two mistakes - voting for Bush both times.
And looking at your posts you seem to have absolutely nothing in common with the infamous "base". Nevertheless - no matter how harmless, well-meaning and smart you generally are - you got too reckless with a paper equivalent of a TNT stick and a box of matches on an early November 2004 day in Ohio - a state that sealed the second "triumph".... Careful when you vote, folks! You can singlehandedly turn democracy into a dangerous thing for both the country and the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area