Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:37 AM

206 posts, read 449,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
stuff like that happens when you're a senile 62 year old
Who said the guy was senile?

And if you are implying people who are 62 yrs old are senile you are way off base and insulting a lot of people on these boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 12:20 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post
Who said the guy was senile?

And if you are implying people who are 62 yrs old are senile you are way off base and insulting a lot of people on these boards.

well, let's see... you wanted to address all gun owners as people who would shoot an unidentified person in the dark, who are you insulting?

the guy didn't use rational judgement, that is NOT a trait of gun-owners, so you are way off-base, now do you understand my response?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM

515 posts, read 1,590,141 times
Please remember, you do not need a license in Florida to own a gun. You do not register guns in florida either. When you go to a legitimate gun dealer/store they do a state/federal??? background check and there is a "3 day cooling off period" before they actually hand you the weapon that you want to purchase. This is without you having the concealed carry weapons permit. So any nut can own a gun and not know how to use it. Along with responsible caring law abiding gun owners who only want to protect themselves and their loved ones. As taught and stressed at the CCW permit classes, everyone who purchases a gun for personal use is instructed to visit the local gun ranges often to get use to the handling and use of said gun.
The fellow who shot and killed his wife here in Florida had his gun ready due to his neighbor right next door being broke into days before. If you own a gun and do not practice using it, when it comes time to maybe need it, there is already enough pressure, hows it gonna feel, will it actually work, how bad is the recoil, just the jitters of shooting besides being confronted by a burglar. But, the guy who did shoot his wife to be was a good shot, he was only 62? he looked way older than that on the TV news. Why didn't he call out? Were the lights off? The news always leaves out a lot of info.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 PM

4 posts, read 8,372 times
Guns aren't the be all end all of defense. I know personally that tv shows where the people are running around, hiding, shooting as they run AND hitting the other person are pure bunk. It is not easy to hit what you are aiming at. Case in point. There was a wild cougar in the city of Chicago recently. Police were called....there were about 16 police there. Three men with rifles fired a tranquelizer at the cat in a dead end alley and MISSED! The cat jumped up and onto a roof...and finally had tobe killed because it came near a school! TRAINED police officers could not hit a large cat trapped in a dead end. Also....it would be great to think that if someone broke into my home...I would be standing there looking down the sight of my gun ready to shoot. Reality is....if I had a gun. It would be locked up away from children, grandchildren etc. I would probably be sleeping...thus would not be able to get and unlock the gun in time to do anything to help the situation anyway. The advantage of surprise would make the gun completely worthless. I really do not see the need for a gun....it would do me no good. I would have to have some really good warning system in place, where I would have about 4 minutes to wake up...get the gun and unlock it and take off the safety. I refuse to have a gun sitting in a nightstand next to the bed, or under a pillow. The chance of me or someone I loved bing accidentally shot in that case is much greater than a random robbery! I agree people who are responsible, should be able to have a gun. And I guess its fine for people who like to hunt (though to me, hunting is not a sport), they should have those kinds of guns. I don't agree with major assault weapons being sold to anyone though.

Hunters....here is my opinion. If you are so manly...and you think hunting is a sport. Make it even. Don't shoot prey from far away using a rifle and a scope....be a man and actually hunt. Get out there with a regular bow and arrow, or a knife....(no crossbow) and even up the odds a little bit. Then maybe hunting would be considered manly. My ex shot a deer once....it was the most disgusting meat I ever had. Yuck!!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 AM

tj, remember, in florida you can also take immediate ownership of a newly purchased pistol if you trade one in... i own a revolver just for the reason when i find a used g36 that i can afford, i can take it home the same day

welove, you may be scared to keep a loaded gun unlocked, and good luck to you during a home invasion, my g30 sits on the nightstand next to my head, one in the pipe and 10 in the mag... an unloaded gun is as effective as a baseball, and a gun locked in a safe is as effective as a catchers mitt

hunting isn't about being "manly", unless you hunt the way the kids i went to high school hunted... theyd ride 4wheelers into the woods, chase out hogs and jump on their backs and slit their throats..

fwiw, you can hit a target (well maybe not you or i, but a hunter) from 100 yards away with a bow

deer meat is delicious, btw, if it's prepared properly

Old 10-14-2009, 07:25 AM

206 posts, read 449,475 times
JBMallory, where the heck do you live that you are in constant fear of a home invasion and need to be armed to defend yourself?

That's the part I don't get.

Are you stuck with a house you can't sell so you can get out of the terrible place where you live?

If I lived in constant fear of some strangers breaking into my house when I was there I would not live there.

And I am not insulting all gun owners. My husband and I own a gun. We just don't keep it loaded by our bedside as we wait in fear of having to use it.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 AM

I don't live in fear of being broken into, the area isn't THAT bad. However, the reality is, homes are invaded and people robbed every day. I WILL NOT risk my children's safety because a bunch of communist hippies think I shouldn't own a gun, because the bullet that is made by Cor-Bonn, fired from my Glock made in Austria, handled by a responsible, white, adult male is dangerous. It is people that live in a false sense of security that are dangerous to themselves and others.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:59 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post
JBMallory, where the heck do you live that you are in constant fear of a home invasion and need to be armed to defend yourself?

That's the part I don't get.

Are you stuck with a house you can't sell so you can get out of the terrible place where you live?

If I lived in constant fear of some strangers breaking into my house when I was there I would not live there.

And I am not insulting all gun owners. My husband and I own a gun. We just don't keep it loaded by our bedside as we wait in fear of having to use it.
He lives in the "home invasion" capital of SW Florida. Although Cape Coral and Fort Myers are increasingly seeing the same problem. Many of these "invasions" occur in the middle of the day. And the homeowner(s) are there. I know many (myself included) that always have a loaded weapon at arms length when they are at home. While JB may, or may not wish to sell his home and move, he's no more "stuck" than anyone else. The crime is here, and it's all around us, everyday.

The "part" you really dont get, is you are living in the same general area, and take a very casual approach to your own personal protection. You are, what is commonly referred to as the quintessential "victim in waiting".

If you arent READY(the operative word, in your case) and willing to use your gun, why bother owning it?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 AM

It isn't fear that prevents people from becoming victims. It's awareness and common sense

Old 10-14-2009, 09:36 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,614 times
Knowing how Ruby and WeLove feel about guns,I wouldn't feel obligated to help them out in an emergency,since I have a carry permit.
Crooks LOVE people like that....such easy victums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area