Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:20 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times

Advertisements

bow and arrow isn't anywhere near practical for self defense INSIDE a home

pistol, SBR or SBS is the way to be, unless you are hands on, then a baseball bat works too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
My secret is: I drive obeying the law (coming to a stop at stop sign, driving within the speed limit, respecting other drivers on the road, and using my directionals) and I always have had a couple of big dogs (rottweilers or pittbulls) which by the way are not mean killer dogs if you raise them properly. This works for me so give it a try, it just might work for you.
Gee. That's my secret, too. Following the law. I'm big on following the law. I think I might have mentioned that a time or two on here.

When they pull you over and ask where you are going and you tell them home. And they ask where you are coming from (I just pulled out of Walmart) and then they run your license and reg and then give it back to you and said thank you and get back in their car that is pulling you over for no reason and against the law. But they do it. And they get away with it. What are you going to do? Complain?

Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 AM

455 posts, read 979,578 times
Hiknapster: this is a very good series of videos I had my daughter start watching: YouTube - FlexYourRights's Channel They show you how to handle situations with cops. And YES...complain, complain, complain. Request the video be pulled from their car. File Internal Affairs complaints. Take it to the media. Most towns now have Citizen Review Boards that go over every complaint in addition to I.A. The C.R.B. may not have any authority over I.A. or the officers but they can make life tough by becoming watchdogs over particular "Problem" officers. Here's a very good article about the Naples C.R.B. and a "Problem" officer: Panel urges full review of police officer » Naples Daily News

Ask them WHY they pulled you over. DON'T answer any questions. DON'T consent to searches. Unless you are under arrest, you do not have to accompany police to the station. If you DO accompany them, you have the right to leave at any time unless they tell you you are under arrest. Keep in mind, they have an arsenal of tricks, lies and behavioral training at their disposal.

Honestly-once you are aware of the limits of their "powers" and the trouble they can get into for harrassing innocent citizens, you become empowered.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:13 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Gee. That's my secret, too. Following the law. I'm big on following the law. I think I might have mentioned that a time or two on here.

When they pull you over and ask where you are going and you tell them home. And they ask where you are coming from (I just pulled out of Walmart) and then they run your license and reg and then give it back to you and said thank you and get back in their car that is pulling you over for no reason and against the law. But they do it. And they get away with it. What are you going to do? Complain?
I have to say in my 33 years of driving I have never been pulled over for no reason. And believe me I was hell on wheels when I was young and when I liked to drink to much. And if they would of pulled me over and asked me the questions they asked you I would of not really had a problem with it. I usualy don't sweat the small things in life and to me that is not a big deal. Cops have a tough job that you and I probably would not even consider doing for so little pay. I always found, show them some respect and they will respect you back. Sure there is always a bad apple in the bunch but say as little as possible, answer the questions and carry on.

Did you think maybe a car that looked like yours might have been involved in some suspicious activity?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:17 PM

i was pulled over once, the cop used the guise of "your tag light is out" i was in a borrowed truck (my moms) and was driving through downtown fort myers so my wife (girlfriend then) could see the lit up courthouse. too naive to request to look at it then, but when i got home with my fix it ticket, they were fine... i waited past 30 days, then went downtown without the car and told them it wasnt my car, was out of state and NO they could not inspect it because it wasnt broken in the first place
paid my 14 bucks and left.. cops are permissible pricks

Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 PM

515 posts, read 1,591,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post

If a person receives the license to Carry a Concealed Weapon we are then permitted to carry a weapon in our car, on our person and in the holster or in our pocket.
This is not totally correct. You do not have to have a CCW, concealed permit to have a gun in your car/vehicle as long as it is three steps away from firing. Meaning for example, it has to be in a holster with a snap band holding it in, in your glove box or under your seat. important: in a snapped close holster. If you goggle "the castle doctrine" it covers any place like your house, car a hotel room, friends house, as long as you have reason and permission to be there, (castle referring to a place you as inside of), you do not need the permit.
I'm getting conflicting answers from different professionals but the jist of the explantation is the permit only covers the weapon while it is on "your body." So if you get pulled over with a gun siting on the seat under a towel or something and you do have a permit, it depends how that officer interprets the law.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 PM

107 posts, read 180,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I have 2 young kids and I have more fear of them somehow getting hurt with guns than I fear someone breaking into my house. Up north I do have 2 dogs, one is 125lbs and has a very good bark. I got him more to chase off coyotes and bears. I have a compound bow that I have for just a little more security. The kids can't even pull back an inch. A little dukes of hazard I know, but still gives me a little more piece of mind. Usually the bears get chased off, but there was one time a large male 3x's the size of my dog didn't run and the standoff lasted about 5 mins. It wasn't afraid of me either. Sometimes problem bears break into people's houses even when their home. I love wildlife and would've hated killing it, and if I did I would have gotten screwed by fish and game. Bow and arrow may be an alternative to the guns.
Fully automatic high powered paintball guns are a good alternative too! Just keep them away from young kids as they can put an eye out. Just imagine calling animal control and telling them about the pink bear or big attack dog on the loose.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
This is not totally correct. You do not have to have a CCW, concealed permit to have a gun in your car/vehicle as long as it is three steps away from firing. Meaning for example, it has to be in a holster with a snap band holding it in, in your glove box or under your seat. important: in a snapped close holster. If you goggle "the castle doctrine" it covers any place like your house, car a hotel room, friends house, as long as you have reason and permission to be there, (castle referring to a place you as inside of), you do not need the permit.
I'm getting conflicting answers from different professionals but the jist of the explantation is the permit only covers the weapon while it is on "your body." So if you get pulled over with a gun siting on the seat under a towel or something and you do have a permit, it depends how that officer interprets the law.
there is NO 3 step law... it is just a rule of thumb

in all reality, it only has to be contained, whether that be in a snapped holster, the console or glove box

an unloaded weapon is no better to you than a baseball

on YOUR property, or in YOUR business, you can legally open carry without any permits as well

Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 AM

515 posts, read 1,591,312 times
Copied and pasted right from the official brochure.

Do I Need A Concealed Weapon License To carry A Firearm Or Weapon In My Car?
No. Florida law gives citizens the right to possess and
transport a firearm or other weapon for self-defense or
other lawful purpose within the interior of a private
conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other
weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily
accessible for immediate use. The phrase “securely
encased” is defined in statute as “in a glove compartment,
whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun
case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in
a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to
be opened for access.” weapon that does not fire a projectile. Other exceptions are
elaborated on in Section 790.25, Florida Statutes.

For more info right from the horses mouth try:
WRITE TO:
Concealed Weapon Service Representative
Florida Department of Agriculture and
Consumer Services
Division of Licensing
Post Office Box 6687
Tallahassee, Florida 32314-6687

CALL: 850-245-5691

Internet Address:
http://www.licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us

count them, there are three steps, maybe four, correct? 1....open the glove box. 2.... pull it out. 3....unsnap the holster. 4....pull it out of the holster

under the seat, again it must be in a snapped holster. without the snap, your are looking at 3-5 years in jail. Depending on the officers mood at the time. ?????

Last edited by tjstrain; 10-06-2009 at 07:17 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 AM

i dont see any "3 step" contingency there at all.. maybe , and ; is lost on some people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area