Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times

Advertisements

Funny. I didn't read one post that said to buy a dog only for protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 02:19 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,732,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post
Plenty of large breed dogs wouldn't bark at a stranger and then what?
Some thieving dirtbag gets a surprise when they come thru the door?

Old 09-07-2009, 03:24 PM

206 posts, read 449,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Funny. I didn't read one post that said to buy a dog only for protection.
The question was asked if an individual should buy a dog for protection. I was addressing that question, obviously.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:44 PM

515 posts, read 1,591,086 times
It's a friggin shame that we have to live in todays world worrying about someone breaking into our homes and cars, but that is the way it is so we need to deal with it. Your first line of defense is COMMON SENCE. Don't leave signs around that you have anything that they would want. Don't leave your doors open or unlocked. keep lights on and use motion sensors and timers on lights inside and out. Use dead bolts. clear bushes away from windows that would hide someone breaking in. get friendly with your neighbors, tell them to watch your place and you will watch theirs. if you do not have a dog, get some dog bowls and put them out side where one would have them if you had a dog. put a dog run or leash out back in plain view. I have dogs, alarms and firearms. taking the concealed weapons course right now. There is a 6 to 8 month back log in applications for them. My class had about 30 people in it, with better than half of those were women. Quite a few were young women, I was amazed! You do not need a permit or a license to own a handgun in Florida. You do need a permit to carry a gun concealed on your body in Florida and most states. In florida you can not open carry a firearm, meaning out in the open like an old time cowboy. I know in PA and DE it is legal to carry firearms out in the open and you do not need a permit or license. But you still need a permit to carry a concealed gun. Each state has their own rules. One thing I have learned is that if you have a gun in your house or car and you need to use it, you have to shoot to kill. As long as you feel that your life or someone's life around you is threatened with bodily harm, "you fear for your life" then you are justified in killing a person that threatens you. It's called the "Castle Doctrine" and the "Stand your ground" legislation. google it and study them if you plan on getting a firearm. Otherwise if you use it to just scare off someone from your property, you will end up in jail for a minimum of 3 years. Educate yourself before jumping into anything. I was truly amazed once I started the permit process how many friends that I talked to that have firearms and permits. You can google, {gun laws in "any state"} to see their laws. Also, once you do get a "concealed weapons permit" the laws are different for you if you get involved in an altercation of sorts because you are now held to a higher standard. If you are involved in lets say a road rage case and you didn't cause it but reacted to someone in revenge even if you did not pull out your weapon, you can be severely charged and serve big time in jail. So be sure when taking action!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:19 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,732,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
I was truly amazed once I started the permit process how many friends that I talked to that have firearms and permits.

It is amazing, isnt it? Whats more amazing(if not down right SOBERING) is that many people dont understand that for everyone that carries legally, there's probably as many, or more carrying illegally.

Anyone going about their daily business on any given day, is interacting with, and/or surrounded by people that are carrying firearms.

"An armed society is a polite society".......everytime I see someone losing their cool in public, I figure that person fits one of two categories, 1)an unarmed clueless idiot, or 2)a lit fuse..........

Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 PM

107 posts, read 180,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
It's a friggin shame that we have to live in todays world worrying about someone breaking into our homes and cars, but that is the way it is so we need to deal with it. Your first line of defense is COMMON SENCE. Don't leave signs around that you have anything that they would want. Don't leave your doors open or unlocked. keep lights on and use motion sensors and timers on lights inside and out. Use dead bolts. clear bushes away from windows that would hide someone breaking in. get friendly with your neighbors, tell them to watch your place and you will watch theirs. if you do not have a dog, get some dog bowls and put them out side where one would have them if you had a dog. put a dog run or leash out back in plain view. I have dogs, alarms and firearms. taking the concealed weapons course right now. There is a 6 to 8 month back log in applications for them. My class had about 30 people in it, with better than half of those were women. Quite a few were young women, I was amazed! You do not need a permit or a license to own a handgun in Florida. You do need a permit to carry a gun concealed on your body in Florida and most states. In florida you can not open carry a firearm, meaning out in the open like an old time cowboy. I know in PA and DE it is legal to carry firearms out in the open and you do not need a permit or license. But you still need a permit to carry a concealed gun. Each state has their own rules. One thing I have learned is that if you have a gun in your house or car and you need to use it, you have to shoot to kill. As long as you feel that your life or someone's life around you is threatened with bodily harm, "you fear for your life" then you are justified in killing a person that threatens you. It's called the "Castle Doctrine" and the "Stand your ground" legislation. google it and study them if you plan on getting a firearm. Otherwise if you use it to just scare off someone from your property, you will end up in jail for a minimum of 3 years. Educate yourself before jumping into anything. I was truly amazed once I started the permit process how many friends that I talked to that have firearms and permits. You can google, {gun laws in "any state"} to see their laws. Also, once you do get a "concealed weapons permit" the laws are different for you if you get involved in an altercation of sorts because you are now held to a higher standard. If you are involved in lets say a road rage case and you didn't cause it but reacted to someone in revenge even if you did not pull out your weapon, you can be severely charged and serve big time in jail. So be sure when taking action!
Great post. I agree with everything except the bushes away from windows. I planted extra thorny painful bushes in front of my windows. If anyone comes around the windows, it will not be comfortable for them.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 PM

I like the thorny bush idea. We actually used that
same method to stop the kids from climbing over the community pool fence for access. It seemed to work.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:25 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,875,677 times
tjstrain.......All great advice.I've carried for years in NH. Florida,NH and Georgia have reciprocal laws so it's ok to carry in any of those states on one license.tjs is so right about never ever even showing your gun unless it is a life threatening situation or someone has invaded your home.Also,in order to travel with a firearm,many states require them to be unloaded and locked in a compartment in the trunk.....so check before you travel.If every law abiding person would carry......crime would be greatly reduced.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 AM

320 posts, read 1,130,364 times
I just did a search on-line and found out the prices for the security systems.....wow. It's not worth that much money, IMO. I think I'll go with new locks, bunch of new lights, a new puppy (been wanting one for a while now), and look into getting a handgun at least.

Thanks all.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:14 AM

From what I learned from our instructors who are NRA members, to carry in your car the gun mus be three steps away from firing. They can be loaded in the car. But if under the seat they must be in a holster with a snaped strap holding it in. In your glove box or center consol they need to be in a holster but no snap is needed. Just a door on the glove box or center consol. Again loaded in the holster. And actually if you read the " stand your ground" legislation you have a right to protect yourself with deadly force "anywhere you are legally allowed to be".
Now the Castle Doctrin covers you in carting or having a gun without a permit as to "in your castle" meaning in your car, your home, your place of business, a hotel room. But you must check individual state laws about where they say you cannot have weapons, even with permits. Comon sence most of them. Usually places with crowds over 50 people, gov. buildings, bars, pharmacy's, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area