Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,128,034 times

Advertisements

A dog is great to have as a pet and we love them dearly but my last 2 dogs licked everyone who came in the door...hahahaha Kinda like a small child instead of a watch dog and we do not intend to get another dog or cat because we are retired...

We now live in Florida and four months ago I applied for a license to carry a concealed weapon. Still waiting for the license because since Obama said a few things about a few things everyone seems to be purchasing a weapon, ammunition or a applying for a License to Carry a Concealed Weapon..

There are a group of us Vietnam Veterans who believe we have the right to own a weapon and the right to carry but there are just 3 of the 13 of us who do so. I am one of them.

If a person receives the license to Carry a Concealed Weapon we are then permitted to carry a weapon in our car, on our person and in the holster or in our pocket.

I do believe that everyone who carries a concealed weapon should be mandated to attend a refresher course of at least 45 minutes every 2 years. I would have no probelm doing so and I have been wounded in a Combat Zone on 3 separate occasions. So I do understand weapons and the implications of deadly force. I just wish most everyone else would have enough common sense to never take their weapon out unless their life or their family is up aginst a life threatening situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 09:50 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,128,034 times
I believe tjstrain is accurate and on the money when he says that "Your first line of defense is COMMON SENSE."....... Having a weapon is just as good as the person who has it in their possession but never, ever take it out unless your life is being threatened....I am super safe with all my guns and ammo. The license really does give a person the right to discharge their weapon, the license just gives the person the Right to Carry a Concealed Weapon where I live....

There are restrictions to carry a weapon once a person receives the License to Carry A Concealed Weapon in Florida and at the most recent gun show in Florida I noticed a person carrying a loaded 357 Ruger so the guy next to me told the on duty Police. The person carrying was a off duty cop and he believe it is OK to carry where it is not....He was taken outside and restricted to enter the show again.....

There are really too many "Hot Shots" and what we do not need are the ones who have weapons to believe they too are "Hot Shots"..... Common sense is what should really preside over our movements and actions.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,285,583 times
My thoughts on security:

- When we had our breakin up north it was a few days after the second car was no longer sitting in the driveway, so we go to some trouble to ensure there is a car parked there at all times. Actually, I rent out the end of my driveway to someone who works at a hospital nearby, which ends up being a win win for me. Perhaps you have a neighbour who would appreciate having an extra parking spot to use or maybe put an ad in the paper to store a car for someone. I also put bars on the basement windows and changed the front door to welded steel, reinforced the bolt wall, and generally hardened the shell.

- We also put in an ADT system, and since then I have figured out that for the technically minded you can buy the hardware second hand cheap on ebay and then pay $10 per month for after market insurance certificate monitoring, or better yet, for $8/month sign up for online system that passes signal to your cellphone, or as well to your neighbour.

- For $50 you can pick up a obsolete laptop, wireless or wire network it to your home system, hook on a $5 video camera, and then for $20 buy a crime catcher software that turns on when detecting motion and then sends the video images to your computer, blackberry or cellphone - this is something I have implemented, which also acts as a check on household teens.

- get hold of bumper stickers such as "National Doberman Association" or "NRA" ; - )

- the dog bowls you leave outside should be as large as possible

question: for myself as a snowbird in a gated community off of Daniels, am I under prepared by not having a firearm? I am thinking I need to install a second deadbolt on the front door. During the day I am tooting about going to Publix, Home Depot and the beaches and tourist sites...is this somehow dangerous? At night, the most I would do is drive up to the Trail restaurants. What are possible scenarios where I could get into trouble or require a firearm? If someone bumps me at night, is it safe to stop?

check this out

http://www.crimereports.com/widget/w...ort%20Myers,FL#

appears that crime really drops off south of Colonial Blvd - click on get report and play with the tool

Last edited by kroeran; 09-08-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 05:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
My thoughts on security:

- When we had our breakin up north it was a few days after the second car was no longer sitting in the driveway, so we go to some trouble to ensure there is a car parked there at all times. Actually, I rent out the end of my driveway to someone who works at a hospital nearby, which ends up being a win win for me. Perhaps you have a neighbour who would appreciate having an extra parking spot to use or maybe put an ad in the paper to store a car for someone. I also put bars on the basement windows and changed the front door to welded steel, reinforced the bolt wall, and generally hardened the shell.

- We also put in an ADT system, and since then I have figured out that for the technically minded you can buy the hardware second hand cheap on ebay and then pay $10 per month for after market insurance certificate monitoring, or better yet, for $8/month sign up for online system that passes signal to your cellphone, or as well to your neighbour.

- For $50 you can pick up a obsolete laptop, wireless or wire network it to your home system, hook on a $5 video camera, and then for $20 buy a crime catcher software that turns on when detecting motion and then sends the video images to your computer, blackberry or cellphone - this is something I have implemented, which also acts as a check on household teens.

- get hold of bumper stickers such as "National Doberman Association" or "NRA" ; - )

- the dog bowls you leave outside should be as large as possible

question: for myself as a snowbird in a gated community off of Daniels, am I under prepared by not having a firearm? I am thinking I need to install a second deadbolt on the front door. During the day I am tooting about going to Publix, Home Depot and the beaches and tourist sites...is this somehow dangerous? At night, the most I would do is drive up to the Trail restaurants. What are possible scenarios where I could get into trouble or require a firearm? If someone bumps me at night, is it safe to stop?

check this out

Search CrimeReports.com#

appears that crime really drops off south of Colonial Blvd - click on get report and play with the tool
Once again, that tool does not appear to be accurate. It has Fort Myers crime but VERY little of Lee County. No Cape Coral. No Lehigh Acres. Please don't rely on that tool!

Having said that, Kroeran, I would not worry so much. Passeo is a lovely community and not really edging any bad areas. In fact, it's hard to get to and bad people will be noticed.

Out and about, in most areas of Lee County you are fine. On The Trail, be aware around Pine Manor and most places north of there. The rest are pretty safe.

Oh, and I am not a big fan of the mall area. Fowler area, etc.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:04 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,778,187 times
The Fowler area is pretty ghetto... And the farther north you go on it, the worse it gets.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,285,583 times
what about downtown or river district, day or at night? The rule I use in Manhatten is if there are people on the street, I am ok, if not, no go...does that apply downtown FM?

whats the safe way into town at night from SFM? I am thinking Daniels straight through Cypress to the river, then up McGregor?

anything to watch out for on the 75?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
what about downtown or river district, day or at night? The rule I use in Manhatten is if there are people on the street, I am ok, if not, no go...does that apply downtown FM?

Use the same rule! Lots less people downtown Fort Myers, compared to Manhattan, though. Downtown never took off. I always suspected it was because it does not have a very nice drive to get to it, barring McGregor, which is out of the way, coming from the airport. And of course, all the retirees didn't support it. It became a place for very young adults to hang out before they moved away from home or during college. Just when it looked like downtown was going to get itself together, the crash happened.

whats the safe way into town at night from SFM? I am thinking Daniels straight through Cypress to the river, then up McGregor?
That is the way that I would go at night. Up 41 can be dicey at night. Probably be just fine, but why take chances?

anything to watch out for on the 75? No. Just lots of traffic if there is an accident or a hurricane evacuation.
You will be fine!

The evacuation statement was meant as a joke, but I forgot to add my smiley face!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 PM

515 posts, read 1,591,312 times
I do have ADT at our house along with their video camera system. 8 outside and 1 inside. They also have motion sensors and an alarm is activated if I choose so. I can keep watch on my place while away or when were sitting watching tv inside. Since installing the video system the local sheriffs stop at my house when there is a report of crime on our street so they can see what cars have passed through. I've gotten friendly with a lot of the local sheriffs. We talk firearms now when they stop in to view my video recordings of the past weeks traffic going thru. Cameras might be a tad overkill but I did catch a neighbor kid keying my truck and the neighbors vehicles.
If you get an alarm get both inside and outside alarm sirens along with a flashing strobe outside.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Going up 41 to Downtown Ft Myers would be my pick. More lights wider road, 4 lanes. McGregor is 2 lanes and dark at night. Again carry personal protection with you. If it's a can of WASP spray, a taser or a loaded 45 caliber gun, use your head. Stay out of the bad sections late at night. Don't travel alone!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:34 PM

My locksmith told me about the "wasp" spray. It shoots further than mace or pepper spray. Home DePot sells it cheap. Keep a can in your car. It's legal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area