Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:44 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,732,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow girl View Post
Your posts really scare me. I am moving to Fort Myers in a couple of weeks and hope I don't have to feel that afraid all the time. What areas are so bad? Are there any good areas? We were there recently and I didn't see anything going on illegal. Give me some input here about where to stay away from. Stuff can happen anywhere but I don't want to be in the middle of alot of crime on a daily basis.
Well, I dont put much faith in the official "statistics". The local police depts. as well as the chamber of commerce fiddle with those numbers constantly. Another factor is that many of the smaller thefts, and non violent robberies are not reported.

Why? you ask. In this area when you call a cop after the fact, you are the one typically treated as the criminal. YES, I have experienced this first hand.

Four weeks back my S.O took the dog(the great dane) out to the back yard, (middle of afternoon)got talking to a neighbor over the back fence. Never thought about locking the front door, was just out for a few minutes in the back yard. Twenty minutes later the house had been gone thru by someone. Got the cash, but didnt take time to grab anything else, fortunatly. Gotta figure someone that knows the neighborhood(and us?).

Two weeks back, a friend of mine residing in the Winkler/Gladiolus area was broken into while they were out working. Got hit bad, jewelry, flatscreen TV's, laptops, coins. Their neighbor three doors down, same thing on the same day. This is during the middle of the day, folks.

Last week, a series of daylight break ins in the Town&Country neighborhood. Some were caught, and believed to be some of the ones that hit the Winkler area earlier. They are all out on bond, already.

You can quote stats all you like, some of us cannot be convinced that things are just fine. They arent, and they're getting worse. Particularly, in areas that were traditionally "safe".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 07:16 PM

917 posts, read 2,616,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Well, I dont put much faith in the official "statistics". The local police depts. as well as the chamber of commerce fiddle with those numbers constantly. Another factor is that many of the smaller thefts, and non violent robberies are not reported.

Why? you ask. In this area when you call a cop after the fact, you are the one typically treated as the criminal. YES, I have experienced this first hand.

Four weeks back my S.O took the dog(the great dane) out to the back yard, (middle of afternoon)got talking to a neighbor over the back fence. Never thought about locking the front door, was just out for a few minutes in the back yard. Twenty minutes later the house had been gone thru by someone. Got the cash, but didnt take time to grab anything else, fortunatly. Gotta figure someone that knows the neighborhood(and us?).

Two weeks back, a friend of mine residing in the Winkler/Gladiolus area was broken into while they were out working. Got hit bad, jewelry, flatscreen TV's, laptops, coins. Their neighbor three doors down, same thing on the same day. This is during the middle of the day, folks.

Last week, a series of daylight break ins in the Town&Country neighborhood. Some were caught, and believed to be some of the ones that hit the Winkler area earlier. They are all out on bond, already.

You can quote stats all you like, some of us cannot be convinced that things are just fine. They arent, and they're getting worse. Particularly, in areas that were traditionally "safe".
Yachtcare, Rainbowgirl is relocating to Ft Myers. She is considering renting in this area:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,+Florida&z=14
with young children and teen boys. Do you think this is a safe area by Ft Myers standards?

Old 10-03-2009, 07:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Both the former sheriff and the current one have been accused of fudging the numbers, usually by each other. There's news stories out there, folks, that will confirm this.

I've been treated like a criminal by the cops when I called them, too. I got the distinct impression that I was bothering them and so that I didn't do it again they were going to harass me so that I got the point.

Once again, I'm a huge cop lover, wish I had become a cop myself. The cops in that area are the biggest bunch of lazy, crooked punks that you will ever come across. There is something hugely unsettling about being afraid to call the police. I thank my lucky stars every day that I am away from there and surrounded by cops that serve and protect.

Never again.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Both the former sheriff and the current one have been accused of fudging the numbers, usually by each other. There's news stories out there, folks, that will confirm this.

I've been treated like a criminal by the cops when I called them, too. I got the distinct impression that I was bothering them and so that I didn't do it again they were going to harass me so that I got the point.

Once again, I'm a huge cop lover, wish I had become a cop myself. The cops in that area are the biggest bunch of lazy, crooked punks that you will ever come across. There is something hugely unsettling about being afraid to call the police. I thank my lucky stars every day that I am away from there and surrounded by cops that serve and protect.

Never again.
I was in the Cape yesterday. I had a patrol car pull out behind me On Pine Island Road and follow behind me for quite a while. I thought of your story. Later on the way back home a had an unmarked car behind me for several lights on Del Prado. I couldn't believe it!
I'm not saying that they were checking me out, It just seemed strange. Very unsettling.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Yachtcare, Rainbowgirl is relocating to Ft Myers. She is considering renting in this area:iona florida - Google Maps
with young children and teen boys. Do you think this is a safe area by Ft Myers standards?
Well, I'll stick with my original thought.....The areas that were once thought of as safe, have seen an increase in criminal activity lately.

As for the google map link in your post...I DO KNOW that there was a homicide and another badly wounded on that stretch of Kelly Road, between San Carlos and MacGregor just this past Wednesday afternoon. I dont recall any particular crime problems in that area before, but it does have a close proximity to "Harlem Heights".

Old 10-03-2009, 07:39 PM

OK, thanks. I thought it was relatively safe, but as you said things are changing.
here's the story:http://www.fortmyersbeachtalk.com/pa....html?nav=5051

And the location:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=16220+...9,0.01929&z=16

Last edited by tommy-105; 10-03-2009 at 07:48 PM..

Old 10-03-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
I was in the Cape yesterday. I had a patrol car pull out behind me On Pine Island Road and follow behind me for quite a while. I thought of your story. Later on the way back home a had an unmarked car behind me for several lights on Del Prado. I couldn't believe it!
I'm not saying that they were checking me out, It just seemed strange. Very unsettling.

They're on the warpath this weekend. Last nite (Friday) about 5:30 p.m they were "stinging" the stop sign downtown by the CC Pkwy Wendy's on 47th. One cop standing on the corner in plain clothes with a walkie talkie. The cop cars hiden in the bushes, and around the corner. I came out of the Wendy's, and turned west on 47th, and instantly had a cop with flashers on behind me. I started to pull over, and he gassed it past me, and nailed the Chrysler in front of me. Before I could pull away from the curb, another cop had one pulled over right behind me. The thing I found interesting was, there was a marked, Ft Myers cruiser, on scene also. Maybe taking notes, to set up a similar operation on their side of the river........

It's a new month, so I guess they're getting their quotas handled early.....

Old 10-04-2009, 08:40 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,581 times
Lived in the Fort Myers area from 85' to 91' and 01' to present and have never had a thing stolen from me our my home. Lived in Lehigh the first time in a desolate area and North Fort Myers close to a not so desirable area now. Have recieved two tickets that I was guilty of both times, and besides that never been stopped by a police officer. I use to spend alot of time on the road all day also.

My secret is: I drive obeying the law (coming to a stop at stop sign, driving within the speed limit, respecting other drivers on the road, and using my directionals) and I always have had a couple of big dogs (rottweilers or pittbulls) which by the way are not mean killer dogs if you raise them properly. This works for me so give it a try, it just might work for you.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:05 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times
iona is a pretty nice area, i did some foreclosure work down there and the houses were nice, neighbors all concerned and talked to me... go for it

Old 10-04-2009, 09:05 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,094,009 times
I have 2 young kids and I have more fear of them somehow getting hurt with guns than I fear someone breaking into my house. Up north I do have 2 dogs, one is 125lbs and has a very good bark. I got him more to chase off coyotes and bears. I have a compound bow that I have for just a little more security. The kids can't even pull back an inch. A little dukes of hazard I know, but still gives me a little more piece of mind. Usually the bears get chased off, but there was one time a large male 3x's the size of my dog didn't run and the standoff lasted about 5 mins. It wasn't afraid of me either. Sometimes problem bears break into people's houses even when their home. I love wildlife and would've hated killing it, and if I did I would have gotten screwed by fish and game. Bow and arrow may be an alternative to the guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area