Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:42 PM

206 posts, read 449,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Every response to my comments only justifies my point.

I have no statistics to back me up but I feel fairly confident more people have been killed by guns by accident than civilians saving themselves from death by using them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 PM

317 posts, read 772,698 times
[quote=Ruby24;11205600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post

I happen to hold a lot of conservative views myself, which is why I resent being labelled as a victim because I don't like the idea of people having loaded guns that they seem anxious to use.

Many innocent people have died in accidentlal shootings, a lot of them children too.

Again, it's not having a gun, but the attitude that seems to go along with it around here.

and really is there any ever need to carry a loaded gun on your person unless you are in law enforcement?

Don't tell me you need to carry a gun to go to the grocery store in Florida.
It's just ridiculous.

I feel sorry for all of you that live in constant fear. I hope you don't end up shooting some innocent person or yourself.
A lot of people happen to think so or there wouldn't be such a clamoring for concealed carry permits.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times
Folks,
This is a warning.
This gun debate is not new. Both sides can be argued intelligently without calling the other side names, or ignorant, etc. There has been name calling on both sides, and when that happens, it only hurts the point one is trying to make.

Things are not all black and white. For instance, I am conservative, have guns in our home, and do not run around scared. I happen to own a 4 wheel drive Jeep, a 4 wheel drive pick up truck, (remember, I live in the snow belt), and I also own a Prius........a car I really like. Tonight I read on this forum that all Prius owners are liberal, bleeding heart so-in so's........ ( I deleted the post)

I never knew one could tell how I vote by what I drive.

I own a Prius because I like getting over 50 mpg, giving less money to the middle east, I like the techyness of it, (very cool), the hatchback, etc. It is very safe. I'll stop there, I know it is off topic.

The point I'm making is that when you put labels on someone, you come off looking like a fool.

But anyway, back to topic. Debate issues, but be respectful......or risk infractions.

Carry on.

Frank

Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post

Again, it's not having a gun, but the attitude that seems to go along with it around here.

and really is there any ever need to carry a loaded gun on your person unless you are in law enforcement?

Don't tell me you need to carry a gun to go to the grocery store in Florida.
It's just ridiculous.

I feel sorry for all of you that live in constant fear. I hope you don't end up shooting some innocent person or yourself.

Yes, it is called "self-protection" LEO's can take 10 minutes to arrive at a call, do you want to hide in a closet and hope you aren't found?

It isn't a "need", so much as a "practice", if you don't carry it everywhere, then the one time you need it, it will be tucked away at home, and you'll be dead. Ever play team sports? My coach always said "you play how you practice"

It isn't innocent people I worry about. I have had to draw my gun on 2 occasions. One was 3 AM to a stoned guy thrown off the hood of a car into my front yard, I told him he needed to go back to his house before I called the police, as my neighbor came out with a 12ga and said "don't worry, I already did" and the second time when 2 guys who i had just reposessed their tools told me they were going to kick my ass and take their "crap" back. Luckily there were also two VERY good and VERY large customers of mine who walked into the truck behind them, who just happened to be ex-marines, and the scumbags went to jail. I have EVERY right to protect myself from physical harm, if that means that a crackhead that is trying to rob me won't go home to beat his wife and kids, and i get to go home to be with mine, then sucks for him.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:00 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,875,268 times
Ruby has it all wrong thinking that gun owners live in fear....the exact opposite is true.Because we have access to a firearm I am not worried in the least.Hope to never use it and probably never will.
Recently in southern NH a wonderful young woman was murdered with a machete durring a random home invasion by 4 wasted teenagers.Her daughter lived ...they cut her throat and left her for dead.
A firearm in the home might have saved them.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:20 AM

320 posts, read 1,130,246 times
We're looking at getting an American Bulldog puppy for our new home soon (hope to close within the next couple of weeks).

Also looking at getting a reliable handgun.....maybe a Glock 17 or something.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 AM

206 posts, read 449,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
We're looking at getting an American Bulldog puppy for our new home soon (hope to close within the next couple of weeks).

Also looking at getting a reliable handgun.....maybe a Glock 17 or something.
I highly recommend you adopt a shelter dog. There are millions of homeless dogs that would make good watch dogs.

There are a lot of purebreed dog rescues too you could look into.
Check out where your puppy is coming from and please don't buy a dog that was born in a puppy mill.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
Buying a shelter dog, you don't know if it was born in a mill or not.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:52 AM

317 posts, read 772,698 times
But adopting a puppy from the shelter does not benefit the mill.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I'm all for shelter and rescue dogs. We have one of the kindest, smartest dogs I have ever seen!

[IMG][/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area