Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Probably not, but why would you want it to?
I don't, I'm just curious to see what locals have to say about their growth.

I don't see this happening in the next 35 years. There's still a HUGE distance between the two as far as population goes.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:20 AM

368 posts, read 1,785,666 times
Could it? Certainly. Will it? Probably.

Dallas is, for the most part, land-locked by suburbs. Fort Worth is not, yet, at least west of east loop 820.

I like the fact I'm all of 30 minutes, rush hour time, from work, downtown, yet have two rabbits using our backyard as safe space.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:16 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Fort Worth will surpass Dallas in population, its inevitable.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,914 times
No. Fort Worth does not have the name recognition Dallas does. Fort Worth needs to wake up and realize that they are second banana and always will be. Dallas is a big business and cosmopolitan town, Fort Worth is an industrial cowtown. Dallas has the major sports teams, Fort Worth does not. Internationally many people have heard of Dallas and often travel there for business. You can tell most people in England that you are headed to Fort Worth for business(without mentioning the state and country it is located)and they will not know where it is or even heard of the city before.

Last edited by brajohns81; 05-26-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 03:34 PM

165 posts, read 396,754 times
Earlier in this message thread I stated that bigger in population or geographical size does not necessarily equate to better. The term "second banana" is meaningless as a measure of quality of life. Friendly rivalry and boasting between Dallas and Fort Worth have been on-going since the mid-1800's. Dallas has its advantages and disadvantages and so does Fort Worth, but I'll take Fort Worth any day over our neighbors to the east, nice as are. Right out of college in the early 1980's, I lived in the Dallas near-suburb of Garland and fought the I-635-LBJ not-so-freeway traffic every single day going to work and back. It grew very tedious in a very short period of time. Besides, the DFW area overall has gotten so large, intertwined, and inter-connected that we essentially have two very large core cities with sprawling suburbs surrounding them for many miles. Anyone who has seen the metroplex from the air will confirm the continuity between the two cities. As for Fort Worth not having the same name recognition as Dallas abroad, perhaps that's true, but, silly as this may sound, much of the Dallas name recognition abroad seems to stem from the fictional "Dallas" TV series with it's nefarious Ewings. Naive people abroad also still seem to think that most Texans ride horses, rope cattle dressed as Cowboys, and everyone has an oil well in their backyard. On conclusion, I'm quite comfortable being "second banana" to Dallas and living peacefully in Cowtown, just as there are folks in St. Paul who I'm sure are comfortable with not living in larger Minneapolis. Whether Fort Worth will ever surpass Dallas in size or anything else is of little importance from my perspective. To me, they are already essentially one giant metropolitan area.

Last edited by Vintrest; 05-26-2010 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: redundant wording

Old 05-26-2010, 03:55 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintrest View Post
Earlier in this message thread I stated that bigger in population or geographical size does not necessarily equate to better. The term "second banana" is meaningless as a measure of quality of life. Friendly rivalry and boasting between Dallas and Fort Worth have been on-going since the mid-1800's. Dallas has its advantages and disadvantages and so does Fort Worth, but I'll take Fort Worth any day over our neighbors to the east, nice as are. Right out of college in the early 1980's, I lived in the Dallas near-suburb of Garland and fought the I-635-LBJ not-so-freeway traffic every single day going to work and back. It grew very tedious in a very short period of time. Besides, the DFW area overall has gotten so large, intertwined, and inter-connected that we essentially have two very large core cities with sprawling suburbs surrounding them for many miles. Anyone who has seen the metroplex from the air will confirm the continuity between the two cities. As for Fort Worth not having the same name recognition as Dallas abroad, perhaps that's true, but, silly as this may sound, much of the Dallas name recognition abroad seems to stem from the fictional "Dallas" TV series with it's nefarious Ewings. Naive people abroad also still seem to think that most Texans ride horses, rope cattle dressed as Cowboys, and everyone has an oil well in their backyard. On conclusion, I'm quite comfortable being "second banana" to Dallas and living peacefully in Cowtown, just as there are folks in St. Paul who I'm sure are comfortable with not living in larger Minneapolis. Whether Fort Worth will ever surpass Dallas in size or anything else is of little importance from my perspective. To me, they are already essentially one giant metropolitan area.

Dallas is also an important business center. The DFW Airport is one of the largest in the world and Dallas is home to many worldwide corportations, sports teams, etc. Fort Worth in many ways is trying to grow larger than Dallas by annexing land since they know they don't have the business and recognition to attract people otherwise. Most people prefer Dallas and the suburbs as far as business, jobs, fun, etc., goes. There is more to do in these cities. Fort Worth mainly has the Stockyard area. Dallas has already surpassed 1.3 million people. Thats up from 1,188,000 people in 2000. Fort Worth is still well under a million people(around 700,000 I believe). It is going to be hard for them to catch up and surpass Dallas without annexing the land to the west and a lot of people in rural areas don't want to live in the city. Plus Fort Worth is just intent on beating Dallas and being number one and that isn't going to fly.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:19 AM

295 posts, read 949,436 times
I hope it does. Maybe then they will expand and improve 820, the most outdated and crappy loop in the USA!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 AM

368 posts, read 1,785,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamber View Post
I hope it does. Maybe then they will expand and improve 820, the most outdated and crappy loop in the USA!
Seriously, if you think 820 is the worst in the US, you should travel more.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Dallas is also an important business center. The DFW Airport is one of the largest in the world and Dallas is home to many worldwide corportations, sports teams, etc. Fort Worth in many ways is trying to grow larger than Dallas by annexing land since they know they don't have the business and recognition to attract people otherwise. Most people prefer Dallas and the suburbs as far as business, jobs, fun, etc., goes. There is more to do in these cities. Fort Worth mainly has the Stockyard area. Dallas has already surpassed 1.3 million people. Thats up from 1,188,000 people in 2000. Fort Worth is still well under a million people(around 700,000 I believe). It is going to be hard for them to catch up and surpass Dallas without annexing the land to the west and a lot of people in rural areas don't want to live in the city. Plus Fort Worth is just intent on beating Dallas and being number one and that isn't going to fly.

It will change quickly in the next 20 years. You do realize DFW is in Fort Worth. The Cowboys and Rangers are in Tarrant County. Its not a matter of winning, but you need to face the facts. Its only a matter of time. FW has more land available and adjacent to the city, and is growing at a faster rate. It'll be like San Francisco and San Jose.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:31 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times
i know one thing...Dallas has more $30k millionaires than Fort Worth!

seriously though, I don't see Ft. Worth surpassing Dallas in population, but I really don't see people in Fort Worth giving a crap. Downtown Fort Worth = greatness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth