Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:46 PM

367 posts, read 415,174 times

Advertisements

I am not a consumer of organic foods. Any organic processed foods are always higher in sodium and carbs than their non-organic counterparts. As far as produce is concerned, I'm just not convinced it makes much of a difference. I picked up a package of grape tomatoes yesterday at the store and ... just like the regular tomoatoes ... they are produced in Mexico. Locally grown produce is one thing, but "organic" produce at the grocery store ... no way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 AM

483 posts, read 555,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
Do you pay more for organic produce? Or environmentally-friendly products? Are big tvs your thing? Do you like to stay current in fashion trends? Maybe you really like fancy shoes? Or cars?

Just curious.

I consider myself to be pretty frugal. I cut coupons. I don't really buy new clothing unless something becomes stained or sprouts holes, and even then I start at thrift-stores and move on to low-priced stores, like forever 21 or Target. I do a lot of cooking at home and rarely eat at restaurants. I use washcloths and dishtowels to cut down on the expense of sponges and paper towels.. BUT, I have a big television and a blu-ray player and I only buy organic foods.

I feel that the blu-ray player and television KIND OF pay for themselves since we don't go to out the the cinema anymore, and the organic food might keep health costs down?

What are the things that you won't skimp on?
Mine has no end or limits. Everything is negotiable.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,248 times
The only things I refuse to skimp on are a nice home (which I built and own outright) and great food (we DO NOT eat out.)

Old 06-27-2010, 09:30 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,495 times
I don't skimp on our food (due to my soy allergy and trying to keep DH's cholesterol down to avoid statin drugs) and our dog and cat food. I have found that the better foods are cheaper in the long run than all the doctor and vet bills.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:12 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
Do you pay more for organic produce? Or environmentally-friendly products? Are big tvs your thing? Do you like to stay current in fashion trends? Maybe you really like fancy shoes? Or cars?

Just curious.

I consider myself to be pretty frugal. I cut coupons. I don't really buy new clothing unless something becomes stained or sprouts holes, and even then I start at thrift-stores and move on to low-priced stores, like forever 21 or Target. I do a lot of cooking at home and rarely eat at restaurants. I use washcloths and dishtowels to cut down on the expense of sponges and paper towels.. BUT, I have a big television and a blu-ray player and I only buy organic foods.

I feel that the blu-ray player and television KIND OF pay for themselves since we don't go to out the the cinema anymore, and the organic food might keep health costs down?

What are the things that you won't skimp on?
I guess that is a difference in our definitions of "frugal". I will spend money on something I want, but I don't buy impulsively. I take the time to research exactly what I want, what will be the best deal, and where I can get it for the least money. Husband and I just bought a big screen and entertainment center. We researched for several weeks and shopped multiple local stores before making our purchase, and got a great deal on exactly what we decided we wanted.

We built the house we wanted with upgrades that made sense, spending some extra money there, but our payment is less than we would rent for, so that was still a frugal choice.

We bought our cars new, but they are sensible cars and we drive them a long time (my first car was a family car bought new in 1975, before I was even born, my only other car I have had for 12 years now, husband has had his for 5)

I don't consider these things to be the end of frugality. I think they were frugal choices. I consider frugal to mean "careful" or "not wasteful", and these were thought out decisions that were carefully made. I don't believe that living frugally means you have to deprive yourself of things you would truly enjoy.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:29 PM

171 posts, read 444,325 times
I have a car payment, but it is for a model that should last 10+ years after it's paid off, and I plan to keep it as long as possible. I've happily owned "beaters" in the past, but with a small child and a love of travel/roadtrips, the newer car has been worth it to me, at this stage of life. I'm really frugal in other ways, so I think it evens out. Although, I do not think I'll ever have a car payment again. Prefer to own things outright.

I also rarely economize on coffee--at least not in the extreme. (I usually buy bags of different beans from Costco.) In a pinch or when I've had a coupon + a sale I've tried pre-ground, inexpensive coffee, but most (not all) tastes horrible to me.

I do have expensive tastes in other areas, like good shoes for me, and higher end clothes for my son, but I look for ways to get these items for far less than retail-thrift stores, etc.

I'm also not giving up my Mac or iPhone any time soon.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 PM

387 posts, read 870,787 times
Am really tight with most aspects and have managed to buy a home outright and have an older car that I paid cash for. The house is nice but I am definitely living below my means with that one ....it is smaller than I would like and is in a 'transitional area' but is solid, has character, is in a pretty area and only 15 minutes from the city centre.
However, I won't eat unhealthily .... I cook from scratch.
I will maintain a warm house in the winter....despite the higher electricity bill
Also, never scrimp on car maintainance , including good tyres

Last edited by tuberose; 07-02-2010 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 03:36 PM

I thought of one more: I will not scrimp on car seats. Because of the love of roadtrips I mentioned, my almost 6 yo is still harnessed in a pricey, higher weight 5 point harness car seat rather than moving to a $15 backless booster when he outgrew his original convertible car seat at 2.5 The $270 I spent for his seat was worth it when we were t-boned by a reckless teen, and my son wasn't even aware we had been hit. (Insurance replaced the seat.)

Old 07-09-2010, 08:27 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
We eat out a lot - not necessarily expensive places, but, still. We get a lot of enjoyment out of trying new restaurants, so it's our main "luxury" type spending. We both figure that at some point, we'll start a family, and it won't be an option as often, so we're enjoying it while it lasts.

I also don't skimp on keeping the heat as high as keeps me comfortable in the winter, and the AC as low as keeps me comfortable in summer. I have no problem paying a higher utility bill in order to stay physically comfortable. I have severe anemia, and my body doesn't regulate temperature well, and I grew up in a household where frugality was extended to the point of my always being freezing cold all winter, and overheated in summer. I decided that once I was paying the bills, that wouldn't be an area where I'd nickel and dime. I refuse to spend winter huddled under a pile of blankets, or pretending that a ceiling fan's gonna cut it in sweltering heat in summer. The higher bills are well worth it, to me.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:38 AM

I totally agree with regard to temperature control--at least in terms of AC. I have probable MS and the heatwave we've had the past couple of weeks has been horrible for me. I foolishly allowed myself to get to warm, and ended up taking a ride in an ambulance. Staying home that day and running my own AC would have been a better choice financially. LOL!

I don't mind being a bit cold in the winter though. I actually prefer it. But I wouldn't take it to the extreme of making others truly uncomfortable just to save a few dollars on heating costs. I would ask my son to wear a sweater, and I would do things like close off rooms not in use, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living