Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,578 times

Advertisements

I noticed some people will wear the same clothes all the time, or at least whenever I see them.

For instance I know this guy at the gym for perhaps over 7+ years and yet he always wears the same outfit working out! Now I don't know if he has multiples of the same outfit, but I find that a bit embarrassing, especially if you go as much as he does.

Another retired guy I know brags that he's in the 1%, but he always wears the same jacket and shirt underneath. He's a customer I been dealing with over a year and wonder what's the use of being in the 1% if you can't afford to wear different clothes?

How about you? Do you know anyone who always wears the same clothes or has a limited wardrobe?

Are you the type to wear the same clothes over and over until there is holes before you replace them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 07:18 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,130 times
Definitely. I have shoes, sweats, shirts, jeans, etc that are over 15 years old. I don't follow fashion but wear what I like. My own ''style''!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
Is your concern with fashion, hygiene or excessive frugality?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Is your concern with fashion, hygiene or excessive frugality?
I don't really care about fashion, but more about hygiene and excessive frugality.

There's only so many times you can wash a shirt before it starts smelling, especially if you use that shirt for a manual labour job.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:33 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,285,123 times
I wear the same clothes alot. I simply cannot afford to purchase new clothes every time the style or season changes. My clothes are always clean and neat. I take care to repair any areas of need or sew on buttons. I press almost everything.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Yup, all the time, clean and neat. I've never been a fashionista, far from it. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere than on clothes.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 PM

Does anyone here remember the episode where Jerry dated this girl who wore the same outfit all the time? Then he tried to see if she owned anything else?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:44 PM

22,567 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post

Another retired guy I know brags that he's in the 1%, but he always wears the same jacket and shirt underneath. He's a customer I been dealing with over a year and wonder what's the use of being in the 1% if you can't afford to wear different clothes?
Obviously, if he is in the 1%, he CAN afford to wear different clothes.
And for all you know he might....

Why worry so much about how other people choose to dress?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
I'll be found wearing a color pocket tee shirts and athletic shorts at least 340 days a year.
That allows rotating through 20 or 30 each of the shirts and shorts at any time
but at $5 or $6 ea replacing them as needed isn't an issue.

Foot wear will range from sandals to sneakers to Red Wing boots depending on season and days tasks.
If it's cold I'll put on a fleece hoody and about 30 or 40 days sweat pants over the shorts.

The other 2 days a month? Jeans and a cotton button down shirt.
Or a suit, 2 or 3 times a year, because I've gone to a wedding or a funeral.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Two points:

1) When I head to the local gym, I usually wear an old pair of gym shorts and one of the hundreds of t-shirts I have been given at work or by vendors over the years.

What I do not understand with people is why they need to spend HUNDREDS of dollars on fancy Nike, UnderArmor, and other brands when all they are going to do is to get on a treadmill, bike, etc. and sweat. It makes no sense to me.

2) Many guys, myself included, have a heck of a time matching clothes up properly. Most of my pants are either khaki or navy. All of my shirts either go with khaki or navy.

Since I am past the age where I need to go through the mating ritual, whether you approve of how I dress makes absolutely NO difference to me. As you age, you find out that what is in the package is a lot more important than the wrapping.

And yes, my philosophy is ”Use it up, wear it out, make it last or do without.” And that is why I could retire on my 54th birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living