Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 08:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Yikes! Expensive! I am with you on that one, Captain.

Here's the tile and coping that's nearly finished. I can relate to your wife's stress over the mess. One reason we are building this pool is that it looks like the house was built with a view in mind. It's solid windows across the back, so all I can see right now is this mess and a bunch of strange men in my back yard all day long. UGH!

It's supposed to rain for the next five days though so I'll be minus the men but add in some mud.
Attached Thumbnails
Well, we're about to do it!-pool-3-13-20-tile-coping   Well, we're about to do it!-pool-3-13-20-tile-coping  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 08:50 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
another point of contention is the patio outside my walk out basement. it is underneath a deck that i had built and it is built so that the water doesnt go through. its basically concrete and then the ceiling is just the underside of the deck. my wife wants to do the floor, ceiling, and maybe some lights and ceiling fan. i am fine with it as it is at least for now. its about 630 square feet so not a small space to have to fancy up and i think its nice enough and will be fine if we need to use it. im not sure how needed it will be considering there is a deck thats about 800 square feet above it. its kind of a back up in case of rain.

I can see her point on this one. Putting in a nice pool and probably some new landscaping...she's most likely got a vision of an outdoor living space in her mind and probably want's something of a flow between the covered patio and the pool. I'm not particularly with her on the shower but I def am on the patio. And actually, if I had to choose one.. I'd pick the patio and forget the shower.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I can see her point on this one. Putting in a nice pool and probably some new landscaping...she's most likely got a vision of an outdoor living space in her mind and probably want's something of a flow between the covered patio and the pool. I'm not particularly with her on the shower but I def am on the patio. And actually, if I had to choose one.. I'd pick the patio and forget the shower.
i think the space is nicer than that picture. im not sure why but that pic was small and i had to enlarge it which made it blurry. its definitely not fancy space but in the event that it becomes necessary, its not bad. the deck is going to be the primary space so im not exactly sure how the patio would be used. the basement would need a renovation before my wife would consider it usable for guests so its not like people will be using the patio from going out the basement. of course, my wife would just renovate the basement and patio right now but i want to space things out more especially since its not needed.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yikes! Expensive! I am with you on that one, Captain.

Here's the tile and coping that's nearly finished. I can relate to your wife's stress over the mess. One reason we are building this pool is that it looks like the house was built with a view in mind. It's solid windows across the back, so all I can see right now is this mess and a bunch of strange men in my back yard all day long. UGH!

It's supposed to rain for the next five days though so I'll be minus the men but add in some mud.
its a mess but its all going to come together soon and look awesome. i look forward to seeing the finished product over there.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:08 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sigh. Well, at least during the coronavirus brouhaha we should have a pretty pool to relax in. So far so good - will update with photos later. They are finishing up the tiling and coping today.

It is stressful to have all that noise and dust and all these people in my back yard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
My wife is starting to stress the mess. I'm not sure why, we wouldn't be using the backyard this time of year anyway. But now she is giving me stress. Looks like she will win the battle of including a shower even though I'm confident nobody will use it
This belongs over in the "1st world problems" thread. Some of us don't want to hear it.

Seriously, I'm envious.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
This belongs over in the "1st world problems" thread. Some of us don't want to hear it.

Seriously, I'm envious.
LOL well please don't be!

We started all this before the coronavirus scare and my husband's possible layoff. In a way I'm glad because if we'd known what chaos was about to descend on us, I'm not sure we would have done it - but it's not ideal timing, I'll say that much.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:39 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
K, I know I heard one of the experts say that backyard swimming pools made you immune to the virus!

I LOVE the stone work and I am generally not a fan of stonework, but it looks beautiful.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:37 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
The covered patio does look a bit different in the 2nd photo but to me it would still depend on it's location in relation to the pool but I can see your point. But maybe some low flowerbeds or container garden around it or something? To kind of bring it together?
Down here in the south, we can have a beautiful, sunny, hot day and sudden storms or hard rain can suddenly pop up out of nowhere quite often and it's good to have a covered place to run to but that's not really an issue up there. I would presume that maybe to her it's not really a question of usage as much as the 'flow' appearance. But, obviously that's just a guess on my part. Sort of akin to redoing the living room that opens into the kitchen with the old floor and counters and that change begets change.
And that is quite a large nice space!

Old 03-14-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
K, I know I heard one of the experts say that backyard swimming pools made you immune to the virus!

I LOVE the stone work and I am generally not a fan of stonework, but it looks beautiful.
Hey we figure that if we're quarantined or whatever, at least we will be able to float around in the pool! So far everyone is showing up for work, which has become a concern of mine. But they are working outside, in the fresh air, so maybe that's beneficial for them. I'm sure the crews want to keep working and I sure want them to!

Old 03-14-2020, 09:27 AM

Here are some pictures within the space. After I sweep up the floor and power wash it it will be perfectly clean. I think it's perfect for beer pong, flip cup, etc. And if we need to set up stuff there if it rains.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden