Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 06:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

so the wife is now pushing me to buy the pergola for the deck. this is a louvered pergola where you can open and close the louvers. the big question is 10 x 12 or 12 x 20. the smaller one would be like a dining table coverage where the longer one would give more coverage for regular standing or sitting room.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...RCpldTt9rqbpRc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 08:11 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so the wife is now pushing me to buy the pergola for the deck. this is a louvered pergola where you can open and close the louvers. the big question is 10 x 12 or 12 x 20. the smaller one would be like a dining table coverage where the longer one would give more coverage for regular standing or sitting room.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...RCpldTt9rqbpRc

Nice! Personally, I think I'd go with the bigger one since the sun and rain usually come in at an angle it will give greater protection while seated around the table at certain hours or in particular weather.
I'm basically making the same decision now on a retractable awning.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Nice! Personally, I think I'd go with the bigger one since the sun and rain usually come in at an angle it will give greater protection while seated around the table at certain hours or in particular weather.
I'm basically making the same decision now on a retractable awning.
bigger is always better, right? i could save a few bucks on the smaller one but id imagine id regret it in the long run

Old 05-05-2020, 08:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
It will look great if you decide to go with it, Captain!

We built a pergola over our hot tub, because we wanted to be able to hang curtains for privacy. It's 12 feet by 12 feet. We also already had a large covered patio. It doesn't rain a whole lot here and between the woods behind us to the east and the roof line to the west, the only time we have full sun on the pool is between the hours of about 11 am to 3:30 pm - which I actually really like. Even so, we are considering adding another pergola out from the covered patio to the pool edge. I don't think we'll go with the louvred option but wow, I sure do like the look of these pergolas! I also like the filtered light that comes through them.

We went with a pergola made of siding material rather than cedar - looks like the one you're considering is also that material, which I would recommend. We have built five pergolas over the years and this is the first one made of siding material -but wow, I really like it.

I would definitely go with the larger size. Like others have said, the sun and rain often come in at an angle.

Are you talking about anchoring it into the patio or is it completely freestanding? We get some wind here and all our pergolas including this most recent one have been anchored into the cement. In fact, this one is WAY anchored in - the anchors were put in about three feet into the dirt before the cement (and rebar) was installed. If you get winds at all, I'd really recommend anchoring that pergola! Our last pergola before this was installed over the concrete and was only anchored in with large screws but it was always fine, for the record. But our next door neighbors had a pergola that wasn't anchored and it has been problematic over the years. I think they may have just gone ahead and anchored it with really big screws down into the cement last year.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are you talking about anchoring it into the patio or is it completely freestanding? We get some wind here and all our pergolas including this most recent one have been anchored into the cement. In fact, this one is WAY anchored in - the anchors were put in about three feet into the dirt before the cement (and rebar) was installed. If you get winds at all, I'd really recommend anchoring that pergola! Our last pergola before this was installed over the concrete and was only anchored in with large screws but it was always fine, for the record. But our next door neighbors had a pergola that wasn't anchored and it has been problematic over the years. I think they may have just gone ahead and anchored it with really big screws down into the cement last year.
at the moment it doesnt seem so bad but i know when summer comes people on the deck will have an issue with the sun, so i guess i should do it.

it definitely has to be anchored at least to the deck. hopefully that will be enough, ill talk to the installer about these details. i know when i looked into these fancy big pergolas with electric louvers that can open and close they wanted to anchor it into the patio below. hopefully it can be done properly with the deck.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:36 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
bigger is always better, right? i could save a few bucks on the smaller one but id imagine id regret it in the long run

heheh... well, not always but, in this case I'd say yes.

(Yeah.. I looked at the price difference. But, when you're already spending as much as you are on everything, a few hundred compared with the likely regret won't mean too much)

Old 05-06-2020, 10:40 AM

so the pool comes with a waterfall but the waterfall guy who works with the pool company only builds natural stone waterfalls. so i try to find another person and same issue. so i ask my mason to build it and he is on board but now im more involved in making sure the pool has the required flow for the desired waterfall and purchasing the additional supplies needed. this is giving me additional stress and worry. i wish those jerks didnt include a crappy waterfall with the pool because then my wife wouldnt be insisting on it.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:02 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
The masons will only build natural stone waterfalls? Do you want the paver blocks in the picture? I’m not a mason, but I would guess the blocks are a lot easier and cost less than natural stone.

Waterfall looks great, though.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
The masons will only build natural stone waterfalls? Do you want the paver blocks in the picture? I’m not a mason, but I would guess the blocks are a lot easier and cost less than natural stone.

Waterfall looks great, though.
the waterfall guy does natural stone. my mason can build the wall and then he will figure out how to get the waterfall working but he isnt a waterfall expert. i havent gotten pricing from either yet so i dont know what to expect. the pool comes with a 6 foot waterfall and i was offered $1,200 credit if i dont use the guy from the pool company.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:42 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Personally, would stick with the pool guy. That way at least you will have something to fall back on if something goes wrong. Once you involve outsiders, especially ones who are not familiar with a pool, IMO you are asking for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden