Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2021, 12:40 PM

779 posts, read 424,446 times

Advertisements

That stinks! We had the cold weather too. I already mowed the lawn twice, all the perennials are taking off like crazy. Then 3 straight days of cold, sleet, and snow. Hopefully that's the last of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 04:37 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Lost 60 tomato plants to a late frost last two mornings....1st time in ten years of early planting. Typical last frost here is 4/20. Wind prevented utilizing row cover for protection.

OUCH! Sorry to hear. 60 is a lot to protect. You should do a test and leave 10 alone see if they come back.

If that frost didn't happen they would of loved this coming week (warm!). But heads up around May 1st another cold shot which means frost for me maybe just chilly for you

Old 04-28-2021, 05:36 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"You should do a test and leave 10 alone see if they come back." Some look like they may be able to recover, but I have 96 plants still in 4 packs that were seeded for a late crop planting, guess I'll use those to fill in the holes.

Now, time to get the peppers in the ground.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-28-2021, 05:50 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
200+/- peppers in the ground...whew.

Pasilla, Poblano, Bell, Mulato Isleno, Bird, Thai, Carranza.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-30-2021, 02:31 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
We're just now getting plants started in the garden room. We're able to turn the soil and add amendments too.

We've got a little ways to go before we can plant what we want.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:40 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Finally got some tomato plantlets. Bought four, but three of them were twins.

Got a single pepper, because this year we were 'cutting back.'

Old 05-01-2021, 07:54 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
Up here I’ve planted beets, spinach, lettuce, peas, and basil. Everything but the peas and basil have sprouted. Funny, arugula from last year is growing like crazy, even bolting. We don’t usually plant the summer crop until end of May.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:04 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Anyone here in SE Florida?

We started a small garden and I am trying to understand what I can plant and when, but would like to get input from others.

Tomatoes are doing okay (looking a little sad, but there are tomatoes on them)
Radishes have all but died.
Onions have all but died after I tried to thin them out.
Cucumbers died.
Corn was doing well, then died.
Cantaloupe died.
Watermelon is doing great though!
Banana peppers are okay so far.

We have four raised beds and I just bought some flowers/herbs that are supposed to help keep pests away.

We are going to try to replant corn and cucumbers from seed this weekend.

Planted some flowers too, and they are doing okay.

I tried to follow a zone 9 schedule and I know it's going to get too hot for some things soon. So I will have to wait and try again in September/October.

Any advice?

Old 05-04-2021, 01:55 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Anyone here in SE Florida?

We started a small garden and I am trying to understand what I can plant and when, but would like to get input from others.

Tomatoes are doing okay (looking a little sad, but there are tomatoes on them)
Radishes have all but died.
Onions have all but died after I tried to thin them out.
Cucumbers died.
Corn was doing well, then died.
Cantaloupe died.
Watermelon is doing great though!
Banana peppers are okay so far.

We have four raised beds and I just bought some flowers/herbs that are supposed to help keep pests away.

We are going to try to replant corn and cucumbers from seed this weekend.

Planted some flowers too, and they are doing okay.

I tried to follow a zone 9 schedule and I know it's going to get too hot for some things soon. So I will have to wait and try again in September/October.

Any advice?
You have a lot of heat loving vegetables dying. Cantaloupe and corn should do great in FL. Have you tested the soil? Both corn and lopes are HEAVY nitrogen feeders. I use urea to side dress my corn, and I do it 3x at various stages of corn growth. When we grew lopes in WV, I literally added fresh (hot) manure on top of the soil and planted my lopes. It kept the soil warm and it fed nitrogen to the plants. They grew like a champ!

Old 05-04-2021, 02:16 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You have a lot of heat loving vegetables dying. Cantaloupe and corn should do great in FL. Have you tested the soil? Both corn and lopes are HEAVY nitrogen feeders. I use urea to side dress my corn, and I do it 3x at various stages of corn growth. When we grew lopes in WV, I literally added fresh (hot) manure on top of the soil and planted my lopes. It kept the soil warm and it fed nitrogen to the plants. They grew like a champ!
THANK YOU!

The cantaloupe we bought at Lowes/Home Depot so I'm not sure if they were the best quality or not. But we bought the watermelon at the same time and it's doing great in the same bed as the cantaloupe.

The corn was from seed and did well for awhile, then at about 3" tall they kinda lost steam and died.

I will have the soil tested and see what it needs and we'll add it.

Going to try planting seeds again and see how they do.

Not sure about getting fresh manure though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden