Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 03:52 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I found one recently from the mid 1700s era. The wife's name was Experience.
Dhohmnuill Dubh Na Somerlidi, a namesake ancestor of my clan and the last Lord of the Isles (king), before the English overran us. in their language, the first part of his name means, "Donald". The last part in Old Norse, means, "summer traveler".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 04:21 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Dhohmnuill Dubh Na Somerlidi, a namesake ancestor of my clan and the last Lord of the Isles (king), before the English overran us. in their language, the first part of his name means, "Donald". The last part in Old Norse, means, "summer traveler".
Ding ding ding, I believe we have a winner.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:15 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Have an ancestor whose given name is "Humpy Sod".

Old 11-11-2016, 05:56 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainbrowntabby View Post
Nimrod Marchbanks! A Union veteran in the Civil War.
Nimrod! Ack! What a name. Maybe it didn't have the same connotation back then.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:21 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
"Dubh" means "dark", so your ancestor probably had dark eyes and/or hair. "Dubh" was probably used to distinguish him from a Dhomnuill who had light coloring - he would have been "Dhomnuill Ban".

Just used about half of my Gaelic vocabulary.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:57 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Brother's named Dilman and Heinrich born 1772 and 1774.
Heinrich married Salome.

That's as weird as it gets for my people.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:36 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Not too unusual. But my GGG was Indiana Missouri, and her sister was America Tennessee. Both born & raised in Tennessee. Interestingly, GGG evidently went by her middle name. She's generally referred to as Missour-ah, the way Missouri is pronounced in that neck of the woods.

Guess I come from a line of geography-philes.

Last edited by hellpaso; 11-12-2016 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: Just realized--I'm hellpaso!

Old 11-12-2016, 01:17 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
If we delve into foreign names there are many people can point out that seem quite odd compared to what we're used to. I've found the Dutch names extremely interesting, such as some ancestors:

Stijntje Douwes
Douwe Wiggersz
Rymerick Volkert
Barent Jacobsen Kool
Aeltje Dircks
Leendert Arentsen DeGrauw

They of course can have the whole son of variations, such as Jacobsen, son of Jacob

Old 11-12-2016, 03:14 PM

965 posts, read 938,193 times
Default Shared relatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
"What is the most unusual name in your family tree?"

It's a tie between Freelove, Persistence and Lott - spelled with two "T"s.
We may have some relatives in common, those are relatives names I have come across as well Freelove, and Lott for sure. I think Lott came from a surname originally.

Also, Cotton, Pinckney, Seaborn (yes he was born at sea), and Increase, to name a few, there are other odd ones I just can't remember right now.

I love the family name Fanny Rivers, but was afraid to gift my daughter with it at this time in history.

I also found a ton of old Dutch names that I would have had to copy exactly. when I really looked at them I could eventually figure out the pronunciation. Lots of (what became) Bogarts.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:36 PM

385 posts, read 440,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That's funny. We also have a George Washington________ in the 1800s.
It was very common to name kids after famous contemporaries or those in the recent past.

I have a boatload of the George Washingtons, a few Benjamin Franklins, a couple Alexander Hamiltons, one John Quincy Adams, several Theodore Roosevelts, a few Jefferson Davises and a couple Lorenzo Dows (a "famous" evangelical preacher).

When a family has 8 or more kids who survive birth, you start running out of names. I have a couple dozen families like that, and 3 that had 15 or more kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy