Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First States that should be Redrawn
Ohio/Kentucky/Pennsylvania 4 4.04%
New England States 11 11.11%
Texas 11 11.11%
California 50 50.51%
Other 23 23.23%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:33 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'd split Texas into four:

Northwestern Texas: Amarillo, Lubbock, Abilene, Midland

North/Central Texas: Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, Waco, Bryan-College Station

East Texas: Houston, Galveston, Beaumont, Tyler, Texarkana

Southwestern Texas: San Antonio, El Paso, Corpus Christi, Brownsville
lol, very odd map. you have East Texas Stretching all the way around Dallas almost into Arkansas and North Texas all the way down around Houston??

personally I would join the northern parts of East Texas with North Texas and Join College Station with South East Texas. Just My opinion, but I think the Brazos valley has more in common with the rest of the Brazos water shed area than North Texas and Texarkana has more in common with North Texas than SE Texas.

In the map I drew, I joined El Paso with New Mexico,
Made North Texas Austin north towards the Panhandle, which makes more sense than what they call North Texas now.
I made S texas San Antonio down to Corpus and the Valley.
What is North Texas Now, I joined with the lower parts of Arkansas and northern parts of Louisiana in order to get close to 10-12M people.
What is now SE Texas I joined with the southern half of Louisiana in order to get 10-12M people and called all that area (from Victoria to Alabama) Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, very odd map. you have East Texas Stretching all the way around Dallas almost into Arkansas and North Texas all the way down around Houston??
Is that not what East Texas is today?

Quote:
personally I would join the northern parts of East Texas with North Texas and Join College Station with South East Texas. Just My opinion, but I think the Brazos valley has more in common with the rest of the Brazos water shed area than North Texas and Texarkana has more in common with North Texas than SE Texas.

In the map I drew, I joined El Paso with New Mexico,
Made North Texas Austin north towards the Panhandle, which makes more sense than what they call North Texas now.
I made S texas San Antonio down to Corpus and the Valley.
What is North Texas Now, I joined with the lower parts of Arkansas and northern parts of Louisiana in order to get close to 10-12M people.
What is now SE Texas I joined with the southern half of Louisiana in order to get 10-12M people and called all that area (from Victoria to Alabama) Louisiana.
Which is funny, because I found your map odd as well, but now that you've explained it, it makes more sense. Mine is focused more on a geographical and cultural standpoint.

East Texas is the more southern part of the state; the Pine Woods and the eastern Gulf Coast. North/Central Texas is the central plains and part of the Hill Country; the more neutral part of the state. Northwestern Texas is the High Plains. Southwestern Texas is the part of the state that is heavily Mexican influenced.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Is that not what East Texas is today?
It sure is, and I am glad that it shows almost all of the Brazos Valley in there too. 6 of the 8 counties in the Brazos Valley are in east Texas and 4 of those 6 are in South east Texas. The two other Counties are counties that MAY be considered part of central Texas according to Wikipedia.

Brazos Valley:

Quote:
Which is funny, because I found your map odd as well, but now that you've explained it, it makes more sense. Mine is focused more on a geographical and cultural standpoint.
mine is too. I kept the original settlements along the Brazos Valley with East Texas cause they are historically similar and share the same geography. North Texas and the Brazos Valley are drastically dissimilar.

I kept North Texas together with Arkansas and Northern Louisiana and parts of OK because frankly north Texas is more similar to those parts than South East Texas.

I kept the Rio Grande Valley Region, Laredo, Corpus and SA together cause they share similar Cultures.

And I kept Austin, Lubbock, Amarillo and the rest of the panhandle together cause they are an odd catch all region.

Quote:
East Texas is the more southern part of the state; the Pine Woods and the eastern Gulf Coast.
I agree with you, but your map and its explanations says otherwise. It shows that east Texas is the more Northern part of Texas's east end.
Quote:
North/Central Texas is the central plains and part of the Hill Country; the more neutral part of the state.
That is why the Brazos Valley should not have been included in North/ Central State. It is neither Central Plains nor Hill Country. Centrally located but not Central Plains.
The Hill Country Goes From Austin Metro to the west (away from the Brazos Valley) instead of east:

Quote:
Northwestern Texas is the High Plains. Southwestern Texas is the part of the state that is heavily Mexican influenced.
no arguments there.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:54 AM

I'll try to draw my map later, to make it more clear.

Notice that I said that my Central portion included part of the Hill country, and not all of it.

I'll admit that my classifications are more arbitrary, but I was really trying to make East Texas an upstate-downstate slab, similar to the other southeastern states. I'll work out the western borders of it later.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I'll try to draw my map later, to make it more clear.

Notice that I said that my Central portion included part of the Hill country, and not all of it.

I'll admit that my classifications are more arbitrary, but I was really trying to make East Texas an upstate-downstate slab, similar to the other southeastern states. I'll work out the western borders of it later.
Oh I get your ideas quite clearly as I am very familiar with the state. I just have opinions about two things and was just voicing them.

I just thought think that the northern part of East Texas has more in common with Arkansas, Dallas and N Louisiana, while the Brazos Valley area has more in common with SE Texas.

just two minor changes.

College Station is about 90 miles away from Houston and about 15 miles between the metros
on the other hand College Station is 175 miles away from Dallas and about 130 miles between the metros.
It is 170 Miles away from San Antonio and about 110 Miles away from Austin.
College Station's closest Neighbor geographically and culturally is Houston.

Huntsville is right next to CS but just a lil further north. Where would you but it in North Texas too? Honestly I think your map should stop at Waco. going that deep is overkill and produced lopsided population differences. West and South Texas would be empty while N texas would have almost two thirds of the states population. Nope, that state should not go much further west than 35 and not much further south than Waco, Mexia and Palestine.

besides, the rivalry between UT and A&M would be more interesting if they were indifferent states

Here is an attached Div so you could see what I mean. The Two on the right would each have about 8 Million while the two on the left would each have about 4 Million
Attached Thumbnails
If They Decided to Redraw State Borders, Which Would be the First States to be Redrawn-texas-div.gif  

Old 12-18-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Oh I get your ideas quite clearly as I am very familiar with the state. I just have opinions about two things and was just voicing them.

I just thought think that the northern part of East Texas has more in common with Arkansas, Dallas and N Louisiana, while the Brazos Valley area has more in common with SE Texas.

just two minor changes.

College Station is about 90 miles away from Houston and about 15 miles between the metros
on the other hand College Station is 175 miles away from Dallas and about 130 miles between the metros.
It is 170 Miles away from San Antonio and about 110 Miles away from Austin.
College Station's closest Neighbor geographically and culturally is Houston.

Huntsville is right next to CS but just a lil further north. Where would you but it in North Texas too? Honestly I think your map should stop at Waco. going that deep is overkill and produced lopsided population differences. West and South Texas would be empty while N texas would have almost two thirds of the states population. Nope, that state should not go much further west than 35 and not much further south than Waco, Mexia and Palestine.

besides, the rivalry between UT and A&M would be more interesting if they were indifferent states

Here is an attached Div so you could see what I mean. The Two on the right would each have about 8 Million while the two on the left would each have about 4 Million
That's all well and good, but like I said, mine is more arbitrary. I like my map.

Brazos Valley has never felt very much like East Texas to me. It belongs in Central Texas, on my map. DFW isn't southern enough to be culturally in line with Northeast Texas and North Louisiana. Just my take on it.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
That's all well and good, but like I said, mine is more arbitrary. I like my map.

Brazos Valley has never felt very much like East Texas to me. It belongs in Central Texas, on my map. DFW isn't southern enough to be culturally in line with Northeast Texas and North Louisiana. Just my take on it.
Didn't say Brazos was more in line with East Texas, said it was more inline with SE Texas, as in Huntsville, Washington on the Brazos, Hempstead, Houston, Beaumont, Etc etc.

but yeah, I know what you were trying to do. something along the lines of this:

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c.../cities/tx.gif
http://www.texasescapes.com/Maps/GenTexMapTraveltex.jpg

but combining the grey and orange areas and the green and blue areas.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,381,706 times
I've always maintained that if there were to be any amendment to California's constitution (which dates from 1879 when there were around 800,000 people), there should be a restructuring of California's legislature to allow things to be done on the local level (city by city of course, but also county, and even more novel, regionally) than everything being done at the all California level. Similarly structured to the way the US Federal Government has federal subunits called states, the state of California, being not only an extremely large state but an extremely large state with LARGE and VERY DISPARATE interests with concentrations of population strewn about the state, should be similarly divided along regional lines, especially in the California legislature.

Instead of having a bicameral legislature, California should have a unicameral legislature that would reflect the regional structure, and with a huge amount of the day to day responsibilities of governance go to the regions (exceptions: prisons, policing, CalTrans, etc.).

My proposal of regions in California. I also do think that some county lines NEED to be redrawn to reflect real world geographic realities, but this map is tentative. Here's where the center of regions would be:

Northern California: Redding
San Francisco Bay Area: San Francisco
Metro Sacramento: Sacramento
San Joaquin Valley: Fresno
Central Coast: San Luis Obispo
Southern Sierras: Bishop
Metro Los Angeles: Los Angeles
Inland Empire: Riverside
Southern Border: San Diego

I included Ventura, Santa Cruz, and San Benito Counties as part of the "Central Coast" because all 3 countries are more agriculturally oriented than their more urban neighbors that they are usually included part of (especially Ventura). I don't think that Coastal CA agriculture should be dictated by urbanites in San Francisco and Los Angeles, IMO.

There's also a grey zone regarding Nevada, Yuba, and Sutter Counties, but I believe that they are increasingly becoming way more connected to Sacramento than they are to the rest of Northern California, but I think it can go either way.

Southern Sierras, despite its really small population, is probably the MOST important region for Urban California for one reason: Sierra Water. I'm a bit ambiguous on whether or not to make it it's own region, but it could be consolidated with the San Joaquin Valley given the small population and more conservative politics.

Again, county lines would probably need to be redrawn.

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 12-18-2011 at 01:18 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 AM

Mine is attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	texas_2002.jpg
Views:	14527
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	88708

Old 12-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Mine is attached.

Attachment 88708
You were right about arbitrary you went all NY Metro on the Houston area. You shopped off some of its MSA and some of its CSA. Midland and Odessa are separated.

It is also very lopsided.

The biggest area has over 14M people, the smallest has 1M.

Serious question, is there any reason for joining Austin with DFW in the same state while separating it from Frederickburg and the rest of the Hill Country Lubbock, midland and Odessa?

I know you said you drew it arbitrarily but was wondering if their is a reason for that one in particular?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.