Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First States that should be Redrawn
Ohio/Kentucky/Pennsylvania 4 4.04%
New England States 11 11.11%
Texas 11 11.11%
California 50 50.51%
Other 23 23.23%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Us Texans want for not. Everything is here already & would last us the next 1,000 years if we were on our own again.
Water. Your whole State is in dire need of water. I would say Texans want for something. Humility would be another thing, but that is a whole different thread topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 08:33 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
The UP of Michigan should go to Wisconsin, and the western part of Maryland should go to Virginia.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:37 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,786,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Thomas Jefferson apparently did not like Rhode Island. "Because it was not much more than 1,000 square miles and hardly any agriculture, Jefferson added, Rhode Island did not deserve the status of a state. He predicted it would eventually be expelled from the Union or merged into Connecticut". (Six Frigates page 163)

In the 1600s, Connecticut did try to extend its eastern boundaries all the way to Narrangansett Bay, which would have pretty much wiped out Rhode Island in the process. Massachusetts also tried to get her hands on Rhode Island (and also New Hampshire). Its not so far fetched as it sounds since Massachusetts eventually annexed the old Plymouth Colony and Connecticut annexed the New Haven Colony.

But while Plymouth and New Haven disappeared into history, Rhode Island survived. Maybe this is because the founder of Rhode Island, Roger Williams, lived for almost 50 years after the founding and got Rhode Island off to a firm start.
Actually Washington thought the federal government should have invaded Rhode Island and split it between Massachusetts and Connecticut for having NOT participated in the Constitutional Convention.

Well Massachusetts Bay Colony once controlled all the English land in the now northeast, and in theory controlled all land from the 42parallel north between the Atlantic and Pacific. Only reason it didn't is because the Dutch were in the way in New Netherlands.

With that, New Hampshire was settled as a part of Massachusetts Bay Colony, as were the Connecticut River colonies and Providence Plantations, and downeast Maine. Over time and with some politicking Connecticut and Rhode Island and Providence Plantations were granted Royal Charters. Massachusetts lost control over what became New Hampshire, but gained Maine, and for a short period of time Nova Scotia.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:04 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,786,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
LOL.. I agree, NH, VT, CT, RI and MA all need to be combined...And it would still be relatively small in area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly. Not only that, but there are so many states that look so much alike, driving through them seems like you're getting nowhere even if you're flying through them.
What's great is if New England were a single state it would have the 5th largest population [CA, TX, NY, FL, NE] and the 4th largest economy [CA, TX, NY, NE]. In area it is the same area as Washington state and would be the largest state east of the Mississippi River.

Nothing to scoff at for a bunch of petty states, that in their spare time fought off the British, founded a nation, and gave us literature, democracy and education.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I know this won't make any NJ members happy, but I've always thought of that state as suburban with affiliations to two major cities. Take the southern portion and add it to PA and the northern portion and add it to New York (with newly acquired Southwestern CT).
Bringing back an old thread but.... I have a hunch that a LOT of NJ people would love to split the state in two. I don't think South Jersey would ever settle to be part of PA though, a state of Philadelphia seems much more promising.

How does this look:
If They Decided to Redraw State Borders, Which Would be the First States to be Redrawn-future2.png

Old 12-14-2011, 01:28 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,100,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The UP of Michigan should go to Wisconsin, and the western part of Maryland should go to Virginia.
The western part of Maryland reminds me more of Pennsylvania or West Virginia than Virginia. I agree about the UP of Michigan going to Wisconsin. Alaska I think should be a part of Canada.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:21 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
DC needs to become its own state and take Montgomery County, MD and Northern Virginia with it. Both Maryland and Virginia would be better off, with lower taxes, lower tolls, lower cost of living, less crazy liberal policies (esp Maryland), less illegal immigrants. Culturally they are the most similar, not like elsewhere in MD or VA. Either that or the Delmarva Peninsula should be its own state.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,444,623 times
I would redraw CA (split the North and South), take the Upstate of SC and join it with NC, Draw D.C. into Maryland, and take away or move the mason-dixon line to just South of Baltimore (maybe Columbia, MD), MD should give its western counties too Western VA. theyre just like Western VA anyways and give Alabama the Florida panhandle.

Bonus: I would LOVE to make Philly a state lol

Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 PM

152 posts, read 377,296 times
You first decide how may states. I think 50 is always a nice number. That says about 6 million people each.

You then start from the great cities and extend them contiguously until you have 6 million people. NYC gets stripped to 6 million. Long Island, Yonkers and Westchester go independent. And Philadelphia and Atlanta and Washington (ignore the DC problem)

Then you take what is left over and divide it up into the 6 million segments to absorb the rest.

When you are done you have Fifty states with rationally common interests.

In the east they may not get out of the city limits. In the west they may extent thousand and thousands of square miles.

And we end up with a reasonably representative republic.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:42 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
and take away or move the mason-dixon line to just South of Baltimore (maybe Columbia, MD)
What exactly are you referring to here? The Mason-Dixon Line is simply the survey line between MD and PA. Are you suggesting that Baltimore become part of PA? Or are you talking about the "psychological" Mason-Dixon Line between the North and the South?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.