Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 02:24 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,542 times

Advertisements

I'm from NYC Metro area living in Ohio and I have sweet tea in my fridge at the moment. It's not a cultural staple up here like it is in southern states but I bet you the majority of Ohioans have drank it at some point. It tastes good but in general I don't drink sugary beverages often unless there's liquor in it
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 02:29 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
They also put milk in their tea, which is an abomination.

FWIW iced tea with a very small amount of sweetener (similar to the lower sugar Honest Tea flavors) is often better than unsweetened. But sweetened anything to soda levels is disgusting. Not to mention considering how much fluid I drink (2 quarts a day isn't out of the ordinary) I'd be morbidly obese if I mixed a lot of sugar in.
I don't mind the milk. I'm not a big tea drinker (or coffee...stains the teeth) but I need to have something beyond tea leaves and water.

I don't know why everyone seems to think sweet tea has to be as sweet as cherry Kool Aid. You can sweeten your tea to your satisfaction. The best tea, imo, is not really that sweet and has some type of fruity (peach) twist to it. I like mint in it as well.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:40 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
I might make a pitcher of this tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y29F-4KJVX4

Old 08-31-2016, 03:52 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't mind the milk. I'm not a big tea drinker (or coffee...stains the teeth) but I need to have something beyond tea leaves and water.

I don't know why everyone seems to think sweet tea has to be as sweet as cherry Kool Aid. You can sweeten your tea to your satisfaction. The best tea, imo, is not really that sweet and has some type of fruity (peach) twist to it. I like mint in it as well.
Thank you. There is no set amount of sugar that must be added to sweetened tea! I'm not sure why anyone would think this other than to simply criticize or condescend. Some people like really sweet tea while others like it barely sweet. It's a wide range.

I like milk in my hot tea as well...something I picked up from my time in London.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:57 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Because, as it is generally served in the south, it is WAY too sweet. A lot of places don't even serve "un" or "unsweet" tea and you get whatever the restaurant serves, which is frequently too sweet.

I like my iced tea fresh brewed from actual tea bags (not the powder) and I generally put in one packet of raw sugar per quart, no more. (And often sprigs of mint.)

My main drink of choice is sparkling water, sometimes with lime or lemon juice in it.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Because, as it is generally served in the south, it is WAY too sweet. A lot of places don't even serve "un" or "unsweet" tea and you get whatever the restaurant serves, which is frequently too sweet.

I like my iced tea fresh brewed from actual tea bags (not the powder) and I generally put in one packet of raw sugar per quart, no more. (And often sprigs of mint.)

My main drink of choice is sparkling water, sometimes with lime or lemon juice in it.
This is not true...I have never been to a restaurant in the South that doesn't have the option of unsweetened tea, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information. Also, tea is not "generally" served WAY too sweet. I would say that it's about average in most places. We do get nutrition news down here too and the word on having too much sugar in your diet has been out for a long time. And I guess you're just talking about restaurants anyway - not tea people make at home, which obviously can be made to taste. Not every southerner (or even most southerners) have a hankering for WAY too sweet tea. That's just an ignorant stereotype.

I don't know anyone in the South who uses instant tea...we use tea bags just like anyone else. I know restaurants don't use instant tea. The powder sucks.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:11 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
It only takes a few to make good Pizza :-)

Some say it's the water quality...
Some folks don't like our sweet tea, some don't like our grits, some don't like it cause we say y'all, apparently now some don't like the quality of our water. However real Southern cornbread does not have SUGAR in it, but the stuff you folks call cornbread does.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Some folks don't like our sweet tea, some don't like our grits, some don't like it cause we say y'all, apparently now some don't like the quality of our water. However real Southern cornbread does not have SUGAR in it, but the stuff you folks call cornbread does.
I love sweet cornbread...and I'm a southerner through and through. I guess there are exceptions to every rule. No one else I know likes it.

Yes, they don't like our stuff but everyone seems to want to live here.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:24 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This is not true...I have never been to a restaurant in the South that doesn't have the option of unsweetened tea, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information. Also, tea is not "generally" served WAY too sweet. I would say that it's about average in most places. We do get nutrition news down here too and the word on having too much sugar in your diet has been out for a long time. And I guess you're just talking about restaurants anyway - not tea people make at home, which obviously can be made to taste. Not every southerner (or even most southerners) have a hankering for WAY too sweet tea. That's just an ignorant stereotype.

I don't know anyone in the South who uses instant tea...we use tea bags just like anyone else. I know restaurants don't use instant tea. The powder sucks.
The spouse is from northern Florida and we have spent time in N Fla, the Florida panhandle, coast Alabama, coastal Georgia and coastal S. Carolina. In every area I have run across a place or two that does not serve "unsweet" tea (and have - rarely - run across small cafes that serve tea from powder, which is nasty). If you generally drink sweetened tea, then "average" probably doesn't taste too sweet, but if you drink unsweetened tea, then it does taste very sweet.

And, yes, I am talking about restaurants, as was the original post from 3+ years ago.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:27 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
They also put milk in their tea, which is an abomination.

FWIW iced tea with a very small amount of sweetener (similar to the lower sugar Honest Tea flavors) is often better than unsweetened. But sweetened anything to soda levels is disgusting. Not to mention considering how much fluid I drink (2 quarts a day isn't out of the ordinary) I'd be morbidly obese if I mixed a lot of sugar in.
Haha-it's pretty good actually or maybe I'm just used to it. The Irish serve tea the same way.

Sweet Tea doesn't seem like a regional thing anymore though-it's everywhere although it may be called "Peach Tea" or "Raspberry Tea" or "Lemon Tea", etc. I do see plain "Sweet Tea" a lot too. "Iced Tea" to me usually means with sugar in it, I don't get the obsession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.