Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 05:13 PM

811 posts, read 889,908 times

Advertisements

I had never drank Sweet Tea until I moved to Kentucky. But my goodness, I am hooked now.

Where i am originally from, Northeast Ohio, very few people drank tea cold and if they did it was usually lipton or snapple which we all called iced tea. That stuff is nasty, by the way.

In Kentucky, if you ask for tea, they will respond sweet or unsweetened and it will be cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 05:35 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,026,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
nobody outside of the south drinks sweet tea. It's not just north, it's midwest and everyone west of the Mississippi too
Not true, there's at least one barbecue place here in Portland that offers both sweet tea and unsweetened tea. I tried a mixture of 1 part sweet and 2 parts unsweetened - and the result was still too sweet for me.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:38 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Some folks don't like our sweet tea, some don't like our grits, some don't like it cause we say y'all, apparently now some don't like the quality of our water. However real Southern cornbread does not have SUGAR in it, but the stuff you folks call cornbread does.
*some* don't like your grits? Bleh!

Cornbread isn't really something that I notice very often here and haven't really cared to see whether there was sugar in it or not... well, because I just don't order it most of the time.

That statement was regarding Pizza though. The question was why can't the south make a decent pizza. I don't profess to know that the water quality is the reason ****ty pizza plagues the south. I'm just not sure that I believe it's due to lack of talent.

Living in VA, NC, MD, and FL I can first hand say that the water quality is not the same as New England / NY and *could* be the reason possibly. I don't know though!

Old 09-01-2016, 07:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
I don't like cornbread w/ much sugar, always halve it. But I add blueberries! When I told a few co-workers (in the South) about that, they just shook their heads like they might get sick. Lol. We all have our own ways we embrace.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:44 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
I guess the real question is whether the U.S. (outside of the Southern states) is the only place in the world where an overwhelming majority of people prefer to drink completely unsweetened, unflavored cold tea.

Most Americans are drinking brands like Lipton anyway. It's not even quality tea. How you drink that cold and unflavored is beyond me. I suppose some people prefer the bitterness.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:47 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,061 times
Side story about grits:

I was moving to Lakeland, FL from CT and on the way stopped for breakfast at a Waffle House in GA. While I was there I told them I was on my way to Florida.

The waitress sparked a conversation and said "Oh, you're from the northeast? My husband is too! Say, have you ever tried grits before?".

Me: "No, I've never tried it before, never even seen it!"

Her: "Okay, well here try some!"

She gave me a free side of grits. It looked a lot like oatmeal to me, so I thought it might taste similar. I gave it a shot and the awful face I put on made her laugh her butt off.

Her: "I don't know what it is with you northerners! My husband hates them too!

I thought it was a pretty funny interaction. Tried grits one more time at a restaurant to see if it would be any better (and yes I've tried with butter as well). I don't know what's so appealing, grits are disgusting.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:09 AM

965 posts, read 939,410 times
Default Not the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The English put sugar in their tea. They just don't let it cool off. "Sweet" tea is the same thing only you put the tea in the fridge once you're done making it.
I don't know anyone English who put sugar in tea, though they all use cream. Seriously I never knew, or even saw a single person add sugar to their tea, even though they may offer to guests. I add half and half, or cream if I am being bad, but only if it is just the right type of tea (and VERY strong).

But adding a tesopoon of sugar to a cup of tea is nothing like 10 times that amount for sweet tea. I would love to know what percentage of sugar most sweet tea makers use.

Brits think lemon in tea is the most disgusting thing ever

Old 09-01-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Side story about grits:

I was moving to Lakeland, FL from CT and on the way stopped for breakfast at a Waffle House in GA. While I was there I told them I was on my way to Florida.

The waitress sparked a conversation and said "Oh, you're from the northeast? My husband is too! Say, have you ever tried grits before?".

Me: "No, I've never tried it before, never even seen it!"

Her: "Okay, well here try some!"

She gave me a free side of grits. It looked a lot like oatmeal to me, so I thought it might taste similar. I gave it a shot and the awful face I put on made her laugh her butt off.

Her: "I don't know what it is with you northerners! My husband hates them too!

I thought it was a pretty funny interaction. Tried grits one more time at a restaurant to see if it would be any better (and yes I've tried with butter as well). I don't know what's so appealing, grits are disgusting.
It is funny!
My grandma was fromTexas, and we had grits from the time I was little. I love them, but not plain I never really liked cornbread much, but I think it is just me (texture).

We have weak tea I think, like Liptons in the US. Other than upscale restaurants, I know most places do use the powdered tea for sweet tea, and it went like gang-busters. Only maybe one out of 100 people would ask if it was from tea bags, before they ordered. I tend to think when it is sweet enough no one notices.

I love strong black tea, and it steeps 5 minutes, with no bitterness, I do get only one British type of tea. Even the American versions of Irish Tea or English breakfast blend, etc.... are too weak, and chance bitterness to me. I am picky, if it is bitter I throw it out.
Adding A LOT of sugar covers up most bitterness I assume.
Moroccan tea is soooo sweet, gag. But I tried it unsweetened, and it had steeped too long so it was bitter. I can handle gunpowder tea now, but only if I make it and strain it after 3 minutes (no sugar).

I think it is interesting to hear everyone else's opinions. I have only been able to find premade iced tea by Tejava in unsweetened. I haven't even tried all the others, so now that I read someone else's post I see lots of people must like sweet tea, everywhere. But true, it does seem flavored as well.

My dad adds about 4-5 packs of sweetener to his iced tea! Ack

Old 09-01-2016, 08:30 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I don't know anyone English who put sugar in tea, though they all use cream. Seriously I never knew, or even saw a single person add sugar to their tea, even though they may offer to guests.
You don't know that many English people then.

Quote:
In the United Kingdom, the drinking of tea is so varied that it is quite hard to generalise. While it is usually served with milk, it is not uncommon to drink it black or with lemon, with sugar being a popular addition to any of the above.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_in...tish_style_tea

It's funny how people try to hedge statements that have little evidentiary support by saying "Well, everyone I know..."

Old 09-01-2016, 08:32 AM

Lol I lived there. I'm not taking Wikipedia as fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.