Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:50 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
And then there is Sun tea, sweet or unsweetened. I was introduced to it in Arizona. Put water, tea and sugar if desired in glass jug. Set out in direct sun for two or three hours. It is great made this way.
That became a thing back in the 80s. They sold "Sun Tea" jugs for a while for that purpose. It was a big fad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 12:59 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,858,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I grew up in the north (PA) and was 24 before I discovered tea didn't come already made with sugar.

To answer your question, and many restaurants here do the same, you make a batch of regular tea and give the patron the choice to sweeten it. That way the place isn't keeping two batches, sweetened and not, going. Business 101.

See, I grew up in PA and the only sweetened iced tea was the kind that came out of soda machines (as in water plus flavored syrup). You'd certainly get a choice of sweetened or unsweetened, but only the unsweetened was actual tea (you could also add sugar to unsweetened).

Old 02-23-2013, 01:11 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
Same here in Colorado. I've learned just to order tea and put sugar in it myself.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:47 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I always just ask, "do you have unsweetened iced tea?" Most places do, but some say no. (This is in NJ.)
That's weird, most places in NYC have unsweetened tea as "default". I am surprised it is different in NJ.

I've tasted sweet tea before on several occasions and it is waaay too sweet. It feels like it has double the sweetness of soda.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
That's weird, most places in NYC have unsweetened tea as "default". I am surprised it is different in NJ.

I've tasted sweet tea before on several occasions and it is waaay too sweet. It feels like it has double the sweetness of soda.
It may not be, but I do know a few places that don't offer unsweetened iced tea so I always ask. Come to think of it, I NEVER ask when I'm in the city.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,861 times
Growing up in Texas, my Mother used to pour sweet tea into some Tupperware popsicle makers she had, and let them freeze, good and hard. There is nothing like "sweet tea pops" on a hot, Texas summer day.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Growing up in Texas, my Mother used to pour sweet tea into some Tupperware popsicle makers she had, and let them freeze, good and hard. There is nothing like "sweet tea pops" on a hot, Texas summer day.
We had those Tupperware popsicle things, too! My mother put grape juice in them.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:28 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,099,088 times
I love sweet tea. Although most of Missouri didn't have it at one time, I suspect with Mickey D's introducing sweet tea that it's caused an explosion of sweet tea across this state from all vendors. St. Louis now has lot of sweet tea. In Jefferson City, almost every restaurant offers it. I personally can't believe anyone could dislike sweet tea. There's one thing the South knows how to do very well, and that is make decent food and beverages.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 PM

124 posts, read 558,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I love sweet tea. Although most of Missouri didn't have it at one time, I suspect with Mickey D's introducing sweet tea that it's caused an explosion of sweet tea across this state from all vendors. St. Louis now has lot of sweet tea. In Jefferson City, almost every restaurant offers it. I personally can't believe anyone could dislike sweet tea. There's one thing the South knows how to do very well, and that is make decent food and beverages.
Yes, I agree.Anytime I hear of someone not liking sweet tea I think they have tried it a time or two and they just did not get a good batch, which is very easy to do.There is quite a few places in the south that will sell some generic sweet tea that is not good.Just looking to make a quick buck.
Anyone visiting eastern N Carolina and wants some easy to get good sweet tea, just visit a Smithfield Chicken and BBQ.They are dotted all along eastern N Carolina.It's not perfect but it's pretty durn good.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
It's nasty as hell. The only place that sells sweet tea in DC is McDonalds and even I get some I have to mixed it with lemonade to make it taste like iced tea.
lol... everything at McDonald's is nasty... I think that might be your issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.