Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Too sweet. Not common around here. When I ordered an "iced tea" in NC, they didn't even ask if I wanted it sweetened or unsweetened, just gave me a super sweet one.

That is very unusual. I have always been asked if I wanted sweetened or unsweetened tea in every restaurant I have been to in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
That is what sweet tea is. It is made the same way, only you add the sugar while making it instead of putting sugar in the glass after it is on ice. It is iced tea.

Southern Style Sweet Iced Tea Recipe - Food.com - 119268
When I was a kid, before there was such a thing as "Iced Tea Mix", that's how you made it. You put the sugar in the bottom of the pitcher with the tea bags and then poured the boiling water over it and let it steep. Then you got the big slotted spoon and removed the tea bags.

We didn't call it "sweet tea", though. It was just iced tea.

The ONLY places I have ever seen them hand you a glass of unsweetened iced tea and some sugar packets is in a diner or other restaurant. It doesn't work, because the tea is already cold and the sugar doesn't dissolve.

I looked at the link--that's pretty much the same thing, only I think my mother used only a cup of sugar. Find it hilarious that they have a "recipe" for iced tea, though.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:29 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
That is very unusual. I have always been asked if I wanted sweetened or unsweetened tea in every restaurant I have been to in the south.
I always just ask, "do you have unsweetened iced tea?" Most places do, but some say no. (This is in NJ.)

Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I always just ask, "do you have unsweetened iced tea?" Most places do, but some say no. (This is in NJ.)

Oh Christ, now you're going to revive the "Is New Jersey A Southern State?" thread.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
For Gods sake. "Sweet tea" is iced tea with sugar. The amount of sugar you put in it is up to you. You can make it as sweet as you like, or not as sweet. I live in the south and you can get you tea sweetened (sweet tea) or unsweetened in any restaurant. Hence, iced tea with the amount of sugar you prefer.
If you put sugar packets in it, it won't taste the same. It needs to be brewed with the sugar in it at a higher temperature. Sugar doesn't dissolve properly in cold water, esp water with ice. Didn't anybody else do saturation point of sugar in water in chemistry class? :I Saturated/Super Saturated/etc...

Also, the tea needs to be relatively fresh. It's like coffee, if it isn't brewed fresh it goes bad. Also, Nestea, Lipton etc and any of those taste absolutely terrible.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:56 AM

32 posts, read 97,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh Christ, now you're going to revive the "Is New Jersey A Southern State?" thread.
I know New Jersey is a northern state.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover128 View Post
I know New Jersey is a northern state.
You'd be surprised who doesn't. Usually the same people who clasify Pennsylvania as in the MidWest.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM

3,074 posts, read 8,027,436 times
My relatives in eastern Ohio make sweet tea (all natives to the area). Otoh my late mother who was from the deep south never made sweet tea. I don't know the whys but once again the opposite culture ways can be found crossing the mason dixon line. I usually cocktail it (a little bit of sweet tea in a glass with unsweet the rest of the way). Straight sweet tea is often too sweet for my taste.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I was a kid, before there was such a thing as "Iced Tea Mix", that's how you made it. You put the sugar in the bottom of the pitcher with the tea bags and then poured the boiling water over it and let it steep. Then you got the big slotted spoon and removed the tea bags.

We didn't call it "sweet tea", though. It was just iced tea.

The ONLY places I have ever seen them hand you a glass of unsweetened iced tea and some sugar packets is in a diner or other restaurant. It doesn't work, because the tea is already cold and the sugar doesn't dissolve.

I looked at the link--that's pretty much the same thing, only I think my mother used only a cup of sugar. Find it hilarious that they have a "recipe" for iced tea, though.

I didn't call it sweet tea either. We always called it iced tea or just tea. I am not sure where "sweet tea" came from. The only time I use the term sweet tea is when I am in a restaurant, and prefer my tea sweetened. And you are right, one cup of sugar is fine for me.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,107,637 times
I don't understand how people drink unsweetened tea, it's beyond nasty bitter, tart, I can't even find the words. My understanding growing up Tea is sweet Tea. I had to learn people drink it with out sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.