Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I don't understand how people drink unsweetened tea, it's beyond nasty bitter, tart, I can't even find the words. My understanding growing up Tea is sweet Tea. I had to learn people drink it with out sugar.
Because when I drink iced tea, I like to have 3-4 16 ounce glasses a day, and I don't want to get enormously fat.

If the tea you're using tastes like butt unsweetened, you're drinking cruddy tea. If something like Green, Orange Pekoe, or English Breakfast is too strong for you unsweetened, look for a fruit/mint blended tea or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 PM

830 posts, read 1,665,690 times
I'm from the north and I didn't drink sweet tea simply because it wasn't around. No one talked about it, no one asked for it, no one offered it... When people would talk about it on TV and movies I would think, "what's the big deal, tea with some sugar?" But I moved to Louisville about five years ago and found out it's not just cold tea with a few sugar packets mixed in. It is its own drink!

I like sweet tea but I can't drink it on a regular basis. My husband has his version of sweet (hot) tea from Morocco; I thought he would love southern sweet tea too but of course "it's not the same." Uh, yeah, ok but this ignorant northerner says both taste like liquified sugar or honey. Pass me the coffee instead.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
In New Orleans, we always drank unsweet. That was the regular way, but they'd always ask "sweet or unsweet"? Then for some weird reason sweet tea became more popular after Katrina. I've gone back to unsweet. Like somebody said above me, you really learn to appreciate the actual taste of the tea.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times
Well atleast where I grew up (north-central West Virginia), you didn't see sweet tea at most restaurants until McDonald's sweet tea hit nationwide. My parent's restaurant started serving it in 2006. It's called iced tea and you order sweet or unsweet. Now it's pretty common throughout the region.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
When I first moved to the deep south and would ask for iced tea in restaurants I was always asked if I wanted sweet or unsweetened, so I think for a lot of southerners ice tea/sweet tea are NOT the same.
I've been here long enough that my default is to always ask for sweet tea now. Just as a side note my son, bless his heart, puts sugar in his sweet tea. Now that really does taste like putting a spoonful of dissolved sugar in your mouth, nasty sweet!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 PM

26 posts, read 67,839 times
Ive had sweet tea in Akron Ohio at a restaurant, I really do think that McDonalds kind of made a name for it and introduced others to it.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 20,105 times
Because northerners are too complex and sophisticated

Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had to learn to drink it without sugar and eventually you do appreciate being able to taste the actual tea. Sugar does that to one's taste buds. I do still drink hot tea with one spoonful of sugar and a little milk.

The sentence I bolded reminded me of something. I visited a friend in Dallas many years ago, and everyone kept asking us if we wanted tea. It was June and 110 degrees outside--I wondered what the heck was wrong with these people for drinking tea when it was so damn hot out. Turned out they meant iced tea--they just left out the "iced" part when they spoke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Funny, I feel the same way about sweet tea - it's revoltingly sweet. I grew up in the west, where iced tea comes unsweetened, and much prefer it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Because when I drink iced tea, I like to have 3-4 16 ounce glasses a day, and I don't want to get enormously fat.

If the tea you're using tastes like butt unsweetened, you're drinking cruddy tea. If something like Green, Orange Pekoe, or English Breakfast is too strong for you unsweetened, look for a fruit/mint blended tea or something.
Drinking tea with out sugar is like drinking lemonade with out sugar to me. It just something that goes, so the concept is very weird to me. We don't say Ice tea, normally don't say sweet tea either. Their's a assumption that the Tea itself is serve cold and sweated.

Now like Lemonade and other drinks, people like different amounts of sugar added. I have a Aunt who gets angry if there's to0 much or too little sugar. But mass amounts of people drinking Tea with sugar is almost a culture shock. Again it's like lemonade with out sugar.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
In New Orleans, we always drank unsweet. That was the regular way, but they'd always ask "sweet or unsweet"? Then for some weird reason sweet tea became more popular after Katrina. I've gone back to unsweet. Like somebody said above me, you really learn to appreciate the actual taste of the tea.
Same here. Sweet tea never used to be a big thing in Houston. At the most, I'd typically put a small amount of sugar in it, but not so that it was as sweet as other southerners like it.

As for "sweet tea", I'll drink it if it's all that's available wherever I'm at, but I won't buy it or anything.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
When I lived in the upper midwest you could not find it. I made it at home because its the only place you could get it. Drinking tea with sugar would get you some strange looks up there. Now that I live here in the south I get it everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.