Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yet no ban on giant slices of pizza, bagels, egg creams, and other Big Apple delicacies?

Yeah, go ahead and ban large sodas, because I never get fat any other way.
to be fair soda is moreso empty calories though. pizza has vastly more value in this regard

that said, self control, parental control etc is vastly more important

and a little sweet tea or soda never hurt anyone lack of exercise and too much happy mealing on the other hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I didn't realize so many other northerners shared my distaste for sweetened iced tea.

That being true, why the hell is it so difficult to find a mass-market unsweeetned bottled iced tea in the U.S.?
I guess because it's so easy to boil water and pour it over tea bags in a pitcher.

HOWEVER--there is a brand that has shown up in my supermarket this past year. Unfortuneately, they don't always carry it, but when they do, I buy it. It's called Tradewinds, and they have "sweet tea" and other versions, but they also have an unsweetened one and it's very good.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
When I was in Las Vegas and ordered a sweet tea the waitress immediately asked if I was from the South which I am. She said that almost everyone who would order it was from the South or from Canada. So apparently its popular in Canada? I'm not familiar from that country nor do I know anyone from there.

Surprisinglly McDonalds has introduced sweet tea to many parts of the country that previously were not exposed to it like New Jersey or Pennsylvania.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Which city govt's have every right to do. As Madison said long ago:

The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite.

So, if New York state allows local laws like that which I'm sure they do (not prohibited in the state constitution), then Bloomberg and the city council can ban it.
Do you think Nanny Bloomberg asked the people of NYC if it comes within the mayor's job description to decide what people put in their mouth?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Give me an Arizona green tea over anything. I do like sweetened tea but sometimes I'd rather have no sugar than too much.
I use to love that until I saw that one of it's main ingredients is high fructose corn syrup. I kindly put it down. I try to stay away from anything that has that.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover128 View Post
I'm from NC and I went to visit New York City and I asked for sweet tea and they gave me a weird look and just gave me unsweetened tea with some sugar packs to put in it.

because "sweet tea" in some regions of the south contains at least 5 cups of refined sugar, we dont want diabetes.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I use to love that until I saw that one of it's main ingredients is high fructose corn syrup. I kindly put it down. I try to stay away from anything that has that.
Yeah I didn't even realize Arizona used HFCS for their green tea. I suppose that's why they can sell those ginormous cans for $0.99. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:27 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Here is Paula Deen's recipe for Sweet Tea Pie.

2 sticks of butter, 8 cups of white sugar.

Sweet Tea Pie Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

Old 02-26-2013, 03:39 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Eight cups of sugar in one pie? Feeling kind of queasy over that one.
Ah, no 8 eggs, only 2C sugar, still a lot of sugar though. I think I'm getting a rush just reading about it, lol.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
In terms of chain restaurants, I think Waffle House, Bojangles and Chick fil A have the best sweet tea. Chick fil A and Bojangles sell it by the gallon to go.

But of course local diners and the homemade kind are the best.

Still wondering about Canadians and sweet tea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.