Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 PM

646 posts, read 814,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
I see your point. However, this woman was coming out of one of the buildings near Wall Street and she looked very American business-womanish. And even if she didn't speak English, she still was rude! She could have muttered something in her native language to indicate that she didn't understand.

She might have just had a tummy tuck or botox treatment OR she could have just been the touch me not type, these broads will deck you to beat you to a taxi. Forget manners in NY. My hairstylist thought it curious I would say thank you after paying. Everything is NEXT!!

Other times people will hold a door for you for a long time like another person said which is annoying since you have to rush, you just never know in NY what someone will do, again it's a maelstrom and often when they offer help it will ********* up even more. But if you should drop something on the scrubway, usually someone will let you know, they are good about vitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 04:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
When we lived in Albany, NY, I found the people very friendly and helpful. When we vacationed in NYC recently, ditto. We were on the subway looking at a map, and someone asked us where we were going, then told us which stop we needed to use. You don't usually see that in Colorado.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
When we lived in Albany, NY, I found the people very friendly and helpful. When we vacationed in NYC recently, ditto. We were on the subway looking at a map, and someone asked us where we were going, then told us which stop we needed to use. You don't usually see that in Colorado.
I have heard it said that NYC has improved greatly in the last 25 years.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:09 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have heard it said that NYC has improved greatly in the last 25 years.
I'm sure 9/11 made people more willing to help one another as well. The extreme outpouring of compassion after that tragedy was immense.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:25 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I agree... people in New York are not what I expected. I encounter more rude a-holes here in Dallas than I ever did in NYC!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:28 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOR View Post
Los Angeles: NYC wannabes trying to live a fast-pace lifestyle, very much into excess (hummers), loves gated communities, obsessed with looks (i.e.: plastic surgery), fake liberals. Music: Beyonce Knowles, Justin Timberlake.

You just described Dallas!!!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:00 PM

146 posts, read 797,493 times
Hey guys, lets not get mad! That's not the point of this thread or this post. I understand that stereotypes can be offensive and all, but we don't have to fit these stereotypes. Yeah? Not every person in NYC is rude; some are very nice! Not every person in SoCal is superficial. It it just how others perceive us. I mean, honest, not everyone in PacNW is some stoner hippy, but that's what some people think. I am just really interested in what others think of my region, along with others. Sometimes it can be offensive, but don't get angry because it just shows that some people do not know us, yeah? It is our point here to show others what we are truly about. Don't get angry, just show them.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:37 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,113 times
If you are from WV,KY,PA etc.(appalachia) people automatically assume you and uneducated,crude,etc. We have universities and even shoe stores!! I've visited New York and didn't think the people were especially rude. In all honesty the friendliest people I've met were in Texas!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
whole lot of chubby people in shorts driving jeeps up and down freeways.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:27 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,964 times
Miami, Florida (the whole metro): Every black man with dreadlocks, or gold teeth, or big rims on his car sells drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.