Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:23 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

Employment opportunities. I'm from the South and I don't like the cold, but jobs seem to be more readily available in the northeast and Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 07:30 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
snow and ice sucks , I dont mind snow if I am at a ski resort but driving to work and dealing with it on a daily basis just is miserable. you can still get four distinct seasons with mild winters and without snow and ice in alot of places.

I thought this el nino was going to spare us, DC probably about to get slammed this weekend , huge storm from dc to boston this weekend and I had planned to be on 95

Old 01-19-2016, 08:47 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
drive everywhere in a desert in the SW,
Oh, would you knock it off already?!

I live in the desert SW (Scottsdale to be precise) and I literally walk everywhere (except to work). Grocery store for small items? Walk. Guitar store? Walk. Vape shop? Walk. Fast food? Walk. Parks? Walk. Ice cream? Walk. Prescriptions? Walk. Pet store? Walk. Movie theater? Walk. Church? Walk. Gun/ammo store? Walk. Bicycle store(s)? Walk.

Soooo, you were sayin?

On topic... I stayed in the cold as long as I did because I didnt mind it. It was a bit inconvenient at times, but so is the heat here in Phoenix.

Last edited by BIG CATS; 01-19-2016 at 09:03 AM..

Old 01-19-2016, 09:34 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
snow and ice sucks , I dont mind snow if I am at a ski resort but driving to work and dealing with it on a daily basis just is miserable. you can still get four distinct seasons with mild winters and without snow and ice in alot of places.

I thought this el nino was going to spare us, DC probably about to get slammed this weekend , huge storm from dc to boston this weekend and I had planned to be on 95
That's interesting. In Michigan, where I live, we have had to drive on only marginally snowy roads just one time this year and shoveled the driveway only once, which I really could have skipped since we only got about 3 inches.

You obviously know winter, since you live in Maryland and I'm not arguing with what you say because Maryland and Michigan are completely different places and hundreds of miles apart, but I always LOL at people here on C-D and elsewhere who paint a picture of northern states as somewhere where you have to deal with snow and ice on a daily basis for months on end or, especially, that we get 7-8 months of winter here, as some people have even said. Seriously? It is comfortable and getting green here by April and the warmth and green last into November most years. December-March are the worst weather months that we get and some years (like this year) they are pleasantly snow free and sunny. The air temps are cold right now, but which is worse, 19 degrees and sunny with dry roads, or 98 degrees and sunny with dry roads? Pick your poison, right?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:57 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
^ I always laugh at people who talk about people up north having to drive through and walk through "snow every day for months on end".

You can normally count on your hands how many days a year you are directly impacted by snow. This year we've hardly had anything in Chicago.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:00 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
That's interesting. In Michigan, where I live, we have had to drive on only marginally snowy roads just one time this year and shoveled the driveway only once, which I really could have skipped since we only got about 3 inches.

You obviously know winter, since you live in Maryland and I'm not arguing with what you say because Maryland and Michigan are completely different places and hundreds of miles apart, but I always LOL at people here on C-D and elsewhere who paint a picture of northern states as somewhere where you have to deal with snow and ice on a daily basis for months on end or, especially, that we get 7-8 months of winter here, as some people have even said. Seriously? It is comfortable and getting green here by April and the warmth and green last into November most years. December-March are the worst weather months that we get and some years (like this year) they are pleasantly snow free and sunny. The air temps are cold right now, but which is worse, 19 degrees and sunny with dry roads, or 98 degrees and sunny with dry roads? Pick your poison, right?
it has been a very mild winter that is for sure with el nino, I had a feeling the mid atlantic wasnt going to escape the snow though.who knows thi weekend storm may not be bad at all, alot of times they dont add up to much. even with snow, it just makes spring that much nicer when it gets here

Old 01-19-2016, 10:41 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Oh, would you knock it off already?!

I live in the desert SW (Scottsdale to be precise) and I literally walk everywhere (except to work). Grocery store for small items? Walk. Guitar store? Walk. Vape shop? Walk. Fast food? Walk. Parks? Walk. Ice cream? Walk. Prescriptions? Walk. Pet store? Walk. Movie theater? Walk. Church? Walk. Gun/ammo store? Walk. Bicycle store(s)? Walk.

Soooo, you were sayin?

On topic... I stayed in the cold as long as I did because I didnt mind it. It was a bit inconvenient at times, but so is the heat here in Phoenix.
Scottsdale and possibly Tempe are the exception to the general rule of the entire region of the country being suburbia and tract homes. If I ever did have to live in the Phoenix area, Scottsdale would be my one and only choice. I've only heard positives about its urban design and downtown. But while it can be brutal to walk in -20 windchills in Chicago a few days per month in the winter, it is brutal to walk in 115 in the middle of the day in Scottsdale in summer basically every single day for months straight. There are far fewer days when the bitter cold is miserable compared to the blazing heat of Phoenix for months throughout summer.

Again, though, people enjoy that apparently. Personally, bundling up in -20 windchills and pulling a scarf over my face a few days per year is easier than walking out into an oven for days and weeks on end. Yeah, it's not 115 every day, but it's more common than -20 in the north. It's at least over 100 for a vast portion of summer and the transition periods at the beginning and end of summer. While Phoenix will almost never be a more comfortable 85* in July, cities that get cold winters often have days in the 40s and 50s with no wind or snow or anything that seems unbearable.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:17 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
it has been a very mild winter that is for sure with el nino, I had a feeling the mid atlantic wasnt going to escape the snow though.who knows thi weekend storm may not be bad at all, alot of times they dont add up to much. even with snow, it just makes spring that much nicer when it gets here
Definitely agree with that-Spring is such an amazing time on the East Coast.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:17 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Scottsdale and possibly Tempe are the exception to the general rule of the entire region of the country being suburbia and tract homes. If I ever did have to live in the Phoenix area, Scottsdale would be my one and only choice. I've only heard positives about its urban design and downtown. But while it can be brutal to walk in -20 windchills in Chicago a few days per month in the winter, it is brutal to walk in 115 in the middle of the day in Scottsdale in summer basically every single day for months straight. There are far fewer days when the bitter cold is miserable compared to the blazing heat of Phoenix for months throughout summer.

Again, though, people enjoy that apparently. Personally, bundling up in -20 windchills and pulling a scarf over my face a few days per year is easier than walking out into an oven for days and weeks on end. Yeah, it's not 115 every day, but it's more common than -20 in the north. It's at least over 100 for a vast portion of summer and the transition periods at the beginning and end of summer. While Phoenix will almost never be a more comfortable 85* in July, cities that get cold winters often have days in the 40s and 50s with no wind or snow or anything that seems unbearable.
Its not 115 for months, which you recognize. It might hit those temps 4-5 days a year, not unlike Chicago's handful of -20 temps. Most of the summer its 100-107 on average, and with little-to-no humidity, so it feels like 85 in Chicago to be honest. The main difference is the sun here feels way hotter than Chicago's, so it feels hotter than it is. Dip into the shade and its almost an immediate 20 degree temp difference, no joke. And youre correct, it isnt 85 degrees until late October, when it kicks off our 8 months of glorious weather, with mild winters and chilly nights.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:00 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Definitely agree with that-Spring is such an amazing time on the East Coast.
And in the Great Lakes! That's one thing that I don't know that I could live without, that first week in the spring where everything seems to turn overnight from winter dead to springy bright green and buds pop out on previously bare trees. I am literally getting goosebumps sitting here typing this in anticipation of it. For me, this is the closest thing to a God given miracle I have witnessed (Well, okay, when our kids were born, but it's a close second), and it never fails to fill me with awe, gratitude, and a sense of joy and well being. Every place has its perks, but I could never again live somewhere where this does not occur in the springtime. It is magical.

I have to add that our autumns are just about perfect as well, and our summers, while hot and muggy at times, are also wonderful. To each their own, but I love where I live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.