Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,332,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Cause we have far better beaches lol. Yeah we can only use them in the summer, but the mud covered sand and brown ocean water of Texas beaches is very unappealing compared to blue green water up here and white sand.

Oh, and the record low in Brownsville, TX all the way at the bottom of the state is 12F. So just wait eventually the brutal cold will come down on your area and kill all those palm trees like it did in the 1980's. Texas can get very cold.

? I love visiting south and north padre in the fall and winter , great pompano,sheepshead black fishing there in the winter. even in the winter usually always in the 60s or 70s temp wise. very nice beaches down there, great food.

actually the fall and winter months tend to have that kind of really green water and the best time to visit without all the spring break masses

I just looked at the weather .73 degrees today there and water temps around 60. these palms on this live web cam look in pretty good shape to me

South Padre Island Causeway Web Cam | South Padre Island, Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 03:25 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,769,300 times
Family ties, I'm not making enough money to move, I couldn't deal with Southern politics, and I'm not as bad with cold as alot of other people. I anticipate spring but I don't have Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:45 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeFullService View Post
Lol!! You forgot to add things like; "I like the cold", "White snow is beautiful", "The cold keeps out the hacks"....
I'd say the liking 4 seasons option would be related enough to liking the cold and finding snow beautiful. That's why I chose that option, at least.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeFullService View Post
But what if you live in a "desert state" like Utah and dislike the heat but love the snow covered mountains during the winter?
I would classify the mountain cities as "cold climates" because SLC and Denver get plenty of snow and cold temperatures in winter.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:30 PM

There aren't many cities that are ONLY cold year round in the US. Chicago is known for harsh winters, but their record high is still 109! SLC's record high is only 107, though the average hottest month is 92, while Chicago's is 84. But Chicago has the humidity to deal with too. So basically what I'm saying is that just because a city like SLC gets hot in summer doesn't mean it's disqualified from being considered a cold city for this poll.

I get what you mean though is that some people dislike hot temperatures in general. They only 3/4 seasons, with summer being the one they don't like. But the question more being asked by the OP is why people live in a place that gets cold/snow in winter. With the answer of enjoying 4 distinct seasons, that's your closest option.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:49 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
That was definitely one of the strangest things coming to Chicago from just a few hundred miles west in Iowa - NO mosquitoes.

I never thought about it before I moved here, but there are no open stagnant bodies of freshwater anywhere in the city except at the controlled lakes and ponds in the parks, but those are taken care of by the city to prevent and get rid of any mosquitoes.

15 years here and I've never been bitten once, I go back to Iowa in the summer and they're all over. I agree though, the south gets it worse than the upper Midwest unless you're sitting in a rural area right near stagnant ponds all over.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:25 PM

I always get bit when visiting family in Upstate NY. But haven't been bitten in Kentucky actually.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,763,030 times
Minnesota definitely does not have more mosquitos. Maybe the southern 1/3...maybe, but I've been all over Minnesota in summer and most of the state is actually pretty cool at night, even in summer. It can actually get down into the 50's pretty commonly even in July/August, and they average low 60's in the hottest months. That's not conducive for a bad mosquito problem, and once you get into the boundary waters up north, forget about bugs. I spent weeks up there at a time and only had to worry about bugs during prolonged hot periods.

Miami isn't really that bad either, I didn't notice any bugs the few times I went there. Inland Florida is a completely different story.

Anyway, this list of worst cities for mosquitoes, which you can probably take with a grain of salt, agrees. It also puts Miami at number 13 and Minneapolis at number 15.

Top 20 Worst Mosquito Cities in US: Summer Heat, Rain Spur Mosquito Activity - AccuWeather.com

Old 01-28-2016, 10:01 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,974,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Minnesota definitely does not have more mosquitos. Maybe the southern 1/3...maybe, but I've been all over Minnesota in summer and most of the state is actually pretty cool at night, even in summer. It can actually get down into the 50's pretty commonly even in July/August, and they average low 60's in the hottest months. That's not conducive for a bad mosquito problem, and once you get into the boundary waters up north, forget about bugs. I spent weeks up there at a time and only had to worry about bugs during prolonged hot periods.

Miami isn't really that bad either, I didn't notice any bugs the few times I went there. Inland Florida is a completely different story.

Anyway, this list of worst cities for mosquitoes, which you can probably take with a grain of salt, agrees. It also puts Miami at number 13 and Minneapolis at number 15.

Top 20 Worst Mosquito Cities in US: Summer Heat, Rain Spur Mosquito Activity - AccuWeather.com
My friends that went to the Boundary Waters said the mosquitoes were pretty bad. Anyways, it doesn't have to be super hot for a bad mosquito problem, they just need plenty of water. Alaska supposedly has terrible mosquitoes in summer. But the species are different in cold weather areas than the ones you find in the tropics. In Minneapolis city they weren't bad but the suburbs they made life unpleasant. The worst place I've ever been for mosquitoes is Galveston, TX, just SE of Houston. I'm itchy just thinking about it.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,763,030 times
I guess I'm basing my experience that way because we would travel there from Chicago area during summer. When we were in Chicago, I had more than 100 bites (as kids we felt inclined to compete...lol), but when we would venture up there it seemed bugs were non-existent, but I guess there could've been a few.

One reason I'm grateful for living in SoCal my whole life, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.