Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 03:04 PM

822 posts, read 856,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Yep. I have to walk around one or two frozen corpses on my street every time the temps head south of 30 degrees.
you TOO??? I thought I was the only one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:14 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Yep. I have to walk around one or two frozen corpses on my street every time the temps head south of 30 degrees.
If that’s supposed to be a joke, I’m sorry, I don’t think it’s very funny.

San Jose Homeless Man Apparently Freezes to Death

Passers-by step over DEAD homeless man in New York after he froze to death on steps of record store

Police: Homeless man found frozen was 'unprepared for the cold'

Man, 70, freezes to death in Atlanta

Old 01-21-2016, 08:56 PM

699 posts, read 610,397 times
I checked the weather in San Jose that Tuesday, December 1st, and apparently it was 36 degrees at night.

He was probably well bundled up. While this was 36, prolonged exposure to even 50 degrees might do someone in.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 PM

125 posts, read 206,153 times
I can't deal with anything below 50 degrees. Love the heat and the humidity, plants love it too!, that translates into more oxygen. Gardening here can be done year round.
I love to air out my house daily and then I crank up the AC. Don't really care to breathe stale heater generated air.

One important factor about the hot weather in places like Houston is that, even when the temp is 95 degrees hot, the shade brings down the temp at least 10 degrees. It's easy to open the hood of your car and work on it without much pain. You can't do that when it's 10 degrees outside and all the car metal is frozen cold.
BTW cars do not rust here, it is not necessary to constantly dump millions of tons of salt and other toxins onto the roads to melt the ice and snow.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:21 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If that’s supposed to be a joke, I’m sorry, I don’t think it’s very funny.
Of course it's not a joke. We pile the corpses in the alley behind the house until spring. Once they start to thaw, the collection truck comes around the first week of April. I am glad you understand just how serious this problem is.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:06 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
I'd much rather wear a hoodie/sweater, jacket, coat, dark jeans, boots rather than shorts, tank top and sandals/flip flops.

All summer I can't wait for fall and winter.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Of course it's not a joke. We pile the corpses in the alley behind the house until spring. Once they start to thaw, the collection truck comes around the first week of April. I am glad you understand just how serious this problem is.
You have me cracking up right now!

Seriously, people are dramatic.

One of some people's favorite pastimes on CD is complaining about cold weather and four seasons from their warm/hot and dry Southwestern lifelong home, while at the same time telling those of us who live in that cold weather four season climate why we should hate it, too, and how it definitively, unquestionably is when it's cold. No matter what you tell them, or how you correct them, they are always right and you, the one who experiences it and is used to it, are wrong. It's actually rather interesting once you get past the annoyance.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I'd much rather wear a hoodie/sweater, jacket, coat, dark jeans, boots rather than shorts, tank top and sandals/flip flops.

All summer I can't wait for fall and winter.
At the end of each season, I start to feel ready for the next. When late August and September nights start to feel a little cooler once the sun goes down, and when it gets darker earlier, I start to crave fall and the crisp air and crunching, beautiful changing leaves and fire pits and pumpkins. Then when Thanksgiving hits, and usually some cold, I can't wait for the holiday season and festiveness and snow. Then by like mid-February, I'm over it, and can't wait for those warm, wonderful spring days, where everything is coming to life and you hear a hum and buzz of insects and birds and other animals following the dead quiet of winter. Then when Memorial Day Weekend hits, I can't wait for summer and those hot beach days, and long days when it doesn't get dark until 8:30. Then it starts all over again.

I genuinely love four seasons, and genuinely look forward to all of them despite their shortcomings. After a while I'm just ready for the change.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:36 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
In cold weather, you can put clothing on to warm up. In hot weather, you can either sit there and stew in misery or run to the nearest air-conditioned building.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:43 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
I retire in less than 11 years. I hope to sell my home and get the heck out of NY and the miserable winters, and never come back unless it's warm. Snow and ice is nothing but extra work, cold makes people more likely to get sick, you can't get comfortable unless you're under the covers or in the hot shower. In Arizona, I can always travel if I need a break from the heat. Right now my area is bracing for a large winter storm, with up to 2 ft of snow. Apart from kids getting to stay home from school and have snowball fights, what good is it? In my job at a utility I HAVE to show up, so it's just more work and misery. If I never see snow again it'll be too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.