Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 05:27 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I hate, hate, hate hot weather. Anyone besides me looking forward to this weekend's snowfall on the I95 corridor?
What is "hot" to you?

Polling says most Americans like it hot.

Most Like It Hot | Pew Research Center

But even the Americans who like it cold don't really prefer cities with cold climates all that much. The top choice for people who prefer colder climates is Denver, which is followed by Seattle, Portland, San Diego and San Francisco.

Older people (65+) dislike hotter weather by a significant margin. Black people prefer hotter climates by a significant margin.

I don't like cold weather because the city becomes less vibrant. All of the rooftops are closed and few restaurants, if any, offer outdoor seating this time of year. I believe some cities have ordinances that state that the temperature has to be above 50 or 60 degrees to offer outdoor seating. There's also no outdoor swimming, which is a real bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 05:28 PM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
Quote:
I hate, hate, hate hot weather. Anyone besides me looking forward to this weekend's snowfall on the I95 corridor?
I'm definately looking forward to it .. been waiting for a good storm, but unfortunately it looks like Southern New England wont see the brunt of it .. but things could change!

Old 01-19-2016, 05:28 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
I wish we were getting more of it in the Midwest!

But actually I've heard from quite a few people in Florida that a lot of northerners move there to escape winter, but regret it. They either underestimated how brutal summer can be in the South, or they genuinely missed the change of seasons. After a few years, a lot ended up back in Georgia, SC, and NC. They get all 4 seasons, but winter isn't as extreme as places like NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc. and summer isn't as extreme as Southern Florida.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:42 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What is "hot" to you?

But even the Americans who like it cold don't really prefer cities with cold climates all that much. The top choice for people who prefer colder climates is Denver, which is followed by Seattle, Portland, San Diego and San Francisco.

Older people (65+) dislike hotter weather by a significant margin. Black people prefer hotter climates by a significant margin.

I don't like cold weather because the city becomes less vibrant. All of the rooftops are closed and few restaurants, if any, offer outdoor seating this time of year. I believe some cities have ordinances that state that the temperature has to be above 50 or 60 degrees to offer outdoor seating. There's also no outdoor swimming, which is a real bummer.
Minneapolis sounds nice this time of year.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:04 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What is "hot" to you?

Hot is a climate similar to that of my old home - Houston. This carries over in general to the southeastern quadrant of the US. Also, I do not like the heat of the dessert SW (PHX, etc.). While others are ok with the "dry heat," I'm not a fan.

I'm aware that more people prefer warmer climes. So?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Me! I hope it hits us. It's been a long time coming this winter.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:56 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Hot is a climate similar to that of my old home - Houston. This carries over in general to the southeastern quadrant of the US. Also, I do not like the heat of the dessert SW (PHX, etc.). While others are ok with the "dry heat," I'm not a fan.

I'm aware that more people prefer warmer climes. So?
So the heat is healthier for you than the cold. Cold weather makes your skin look all flushed and dry. Every other person is sick, coughing and sneezing on people, blowing chunks of mucus all over the place. Disgusting. Cold weather kills more people. Staying healthy and alive in the heat only requires that you stay shaded and hydrated.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
So the heat is healthier for you than the cold. Cold weather makes your skin look all flushed and dry. Every other person is sick, coughing and sneezing on people, blowing chunks of mucus all over the place. Disgusting. Cold weather kills more people. Staying healthy and alive in the heat only requires that you stay shaded and hydrated.
According to this article, extreme heat is one of the leading causes of weather-related death in the US. Heat Illnesses: 5 Dangers Of Extreme Heat It lists heat stroke, heat cramps, sunburn, heat exhaustion, and heat rash as 5 dangerous and common heat-related ailments.

Here's more info about heat, what it does to the body, and dangers. Summer Weather Safety: Heat and Humidity Dangers Humidity makes it harder for sweat to evaporate off your skin, which is what cools you. So if it's extremely humid, it is extremely hard to cool down. This is just as dangerous as being too cold.

I always say I would rather be cold than hot because when I'm cold, I can put more clothes on. When I'm hot, there's only so much I can take off. As long as you're not out exposed in the elements in either heat or cold, without supplies of any kind, I think it's safer to be cold because in normal circumstances, warming up is easier than cooling down.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:43 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
According to this article, extreme heat is one of the leading causes of weather-related death in the US. Heat Illnesses: 5 Dangers Of Extreme Heat It lists heat stroke, heat cramps, sunburn, heat exhaustion, and heat rash as 5 dangerous and common heat-related ailments.

Here's more info about heat, what it does to the body, and dangers. Summer Weather Safety: Heat and Humidity Dangers Humidity makes it harder for sweat to evaporate off your skin, which is what cools you. So if it's extremely humid, it is extremely hard to cool down. This is just as dangerous as being too cold.

I always say I would rather be cold than hot because when I'm cold, I can put more clothes on. When I'm hot, there's only so much I can take off. As long as you're not out exposed in the elements in either heat or cold, without supplies of any kind, I think it's safer to be cold because in normal circumstances, warming up is easier than cooling down.
Every other northerner on this forum has regurgitated that line ad nauseum, and it's pretty ridiculous. If you can get down to shorts and flip flops but still be uncomfortable, you're most likely dehydrated. And as I said in my previous post, dehydration is the main cause of problems in the heat.

Staying comfortable in the cold requires that you have the resources needed for all of those layers and other methods of warming up. Many people do not have this. It's the cold weather that claims the lives of hundreds of homeless individuals every year.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:54 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
One huge negative about California summers is that you'll almost never get a night warm enough to be out at 2am in a t shirt and shorts and be comfortable. A light jacket is almost always required at night in LA during summer. Obviously other parts of the country can't do that for 3/4 seasons, but in Florida you can almost 4/4, but at least we get 1/4 seasons where you can comfortably hang out outside after sunset.
Last July through October offered plenty of balmy nights that stayed above 70 F in Southern California.
"Almost never" is an exaggeration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.