Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:35 AM

699 posts, read 610,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I seriously doubt Minneapolis has more mosquitos than Miami.

That being said, there is mosquito control. There is no "cold control."
There is definitely more mosquitos in Minneapolis than Miami. Try to eat outdoors in both places. I would be swatting them in Minneapolis, I would hear them buzzing by my ear. It's all those lakes that they have dotting their city.

Here in Miami, I don't hear them, I don't swat them, I never been bitten by them.

Here is an article on Minneapolis fighting their mosquito problem: Minnesota's unofficial state bird is back: Mosquito season is upon us - StarTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:40 AM

32,107 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
There is definitely more mosquitos in Minneapolis than Miami. Try to eat outdoors in both places. I would be swatting them in Minneapolis, I would hear them buzzing by my ear. It's all those lakes that they have dotting their city.

Here in Miami, I don't hear them, I don't swat them, I never been bitten by them.

Here is an article on Minneapolis fighting their mosquito problem: Minnesota's unofficial state bird is back: Mosquito season is upon us - StarTribune.com
That doesn't show that the mosquito problem is worse than it is in Miami. Miami obviously has conditions that allow for mosquito reproduction for a much greater portion of the year (all of it basically).

Old 01-22-2016, 10:49 AM

699 posts, read 610,994 times
Quote:
That doesn't show that the mosquito problem is worse than it is in Miami. Miami obviously has conditions that allow for mosquito reproduction for a much greater portion of the year (all of it basically).
To do so you need standing, FRESH water. Miami has none of that until you're in the far west portions bordering the everglades. Maybe only there is the mosquito problem similar to Minneapolis. I don't know, I don't go there since there is no reason for me to be there, that's all suburbia.

Here in Miami Beach, there is no fresh water from them to reproduce. No mosquitos whatsoever.

Same is true when you cross the mainland into the urban sections of Miami (Brickell to Wynwood). Again I'm there all the time, eating outside, never had a problem with it.

I have been to Minneapolis, and I couldn't tolerate sitting outside at night. Do you not trust me, do you have anything to go by except the very basic: Miami is warm so it has to have more mosquitos?

Old 01-22-2016, 10:52 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImaMr-nGya0

Old 01-22-2016, 10:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjH3D2iKkTY

Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITn7X670XvE

Old 01-22-2016, 11:45 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
let's also give proper acknowledgement to

I've lived in Palatka, Daytona, Orlando, Deltona and traveled extensively throughout the state and I'll take a handful of non-existent mosquitos any day up north

Old 01-22-2016, 04:30 PM

822 posts, read 858,045 times
What about all those canals and spill over ponds I see in neighborhoods in the Miami area.. dont they breed mosquitos?

Old 01-24-2016, 10:59 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I've lived in NYC and Indiana and both certainly had good things about them ( Indiana has Indiana U Basketball). I still love visiting NYC great city.

Fort he last 16 years I've lived in Rockport, Texas in Aransas County Texas ( pop. 26,000). It's a peninsula on the Gulf Coast-more beach and water front than people. It's quite a friendly place, many retirees, and it only freezes an average of a couple of hours every other year or so (usually around 4:30 AM). There is a bit of snow every 3 years or so. There is no State Income Tax, NO traffic-- well I consider it traffic when a car comes by and yells out the window "Twiz Please move over ( dog likes to nap on the pavement). Violent crime is rare but usually intrafamily. There are no unsafe streets. Rockport is environmentally liberal but otherwise conservative.

I don't like crime, really cold weather, high taxes and traffic - all items people like to ***** about- so why do you stay?

Cause we have far better beaches lol. Yeah we can only use them in the summer, but the mud covered sand and brown ocean water of Texas beaches is very unappealing compared to blue green water up here and white sand.

Oh, and the record low in Brownsville, TX all the way at the bottom of the state is 12F. So just wait eventually the brutal cold will come down on your area and kill all those palm trees like it did in the 1980's. Texas can get very cold.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:10 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post

WTF is happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.