Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:02 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
They were established cities for far longer, meaning they have built up history from every decade. Denver does not have this. There is basically nothing there whatsoever before the Civil War. Somewhere like Boston has historical houses from the 1600s. It's a major difference. I can walk down to a bar in New York and eat where George Washington gave farewall to the Continental Army. I can go down where the Dutch were hanging out in "New Amsterdam" in the 1630s. There is architecture and historical sites reflecting every single decade since the founding of the country.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:03 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I ask this question because I really want to know some cool things about the Northeast. I've never been to the northeast. The farthest east I've ever been to was Atlanta, Georgia, and that's like in the northwestern part of Georgia.

I don't see how people can like the crowded cities where buildings and houses, are like almost attatched to each other. I like seeing cities that are more spread apart and especially seeing the new buildings. Not ones that are old and look like they're falling apart. Though with old buildings that have been preserved, that's a different story.

I don't see how this is beautiful
http://www.newyorkmurales.com/wp-con...x/bronx_04.jpg
http://superatlasipleri.files.wordpr...arihi-bina.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ridgenycha.JPG
http://www.queeeens.com/imag2.jpg
http://www.olivestudio.com/branch/wp...g_new_york.jpg

Times Square looks stunning and dazzling, I'll give you that, but if the northeast looks like the links I provided, then I would take cities like Los Angeles, Pheonix, Tucson, Las Vegas, Seattle, Dallas, Houston anyday.

As I said before, don't try and insult me and call me rude. I wasn't trying to. I don't want to hear that, I want to hear some cool things about the northeast and to prove me wrong.
I think those pictures are a heck of a lot prettier then endless strip malls, parking lots, palm trees on cement islands, with a dry looking mountain in the background.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
How about stuff like this, is this beautiful? (My photos)

Beautiful pics!!

Old 01-02-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
While we're sharing pictures ...

Two blocks from my house:

Three blocks from my house:

(photos by my good friend Joseph Minardi who has given me permission to use them in all social media).
+1 Those houses are just so f#$%ing beautiful......Almost too beautiful!

Old 01-02-2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Here are some pictures of the city of Guanajuato, which is the capital of the state of Guanajuato in Mexico. Don't say it's because it's my town bla bla bla, because while I am originally from Mexico, I'm not from this state. I am thinking some places in like New Orleans, Florida, or even DC, the Carolinas, and Virginia and Maryland have colorful houses kind of like this too. I like Old buildings, but I like them preserved or enhanced in a way that they paint bright, vibrant saturated colors. Also, preserved in a way to make them look like a clean, cut texture.

This Page Does Not Exist on CIEE Study Abroad

http://www.clubnoir.com.br/wp-conten...ato-mexico.jpg

http://www.guanajuatoguru.com/wp-con...9/gtoabout.jpg

http://piximus.net/media/14921/guana...red-city-1.jpg

http://mexicotoday.org/sites/default...jpg?1336666035

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/84/208...d7cc7cc2_o.jpg

http://opentravel.com/img/TravelGuid...ato-1265_4.jpg
The links aren't showing anything, are the websites temporarily down?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:45 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You guys are clearly showing your ignorance about mining. Guess they didn't teach you that in your fancy history classes.

I leave you with this new years song.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
Excavating for a mine,
Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
And his daughter - Clementine

Oh my Darling, Oh my Darling,
Oh my Darling Clementine.
Thou art lost and gone forever,
Dreadful sorry, Clementine.

If that's not historically significant, I don't know what is.
Somehow, I get the impression that your not into the exciting world of the history of mining. You do not understand what you are missing!

But since you mentioned mining, I decided to add a few more for the Northeast.

Salt Mining - Syracuse area, New York
Garnet Mining - Adirondacks Mountains, New York
Marble - Vermont
Slate - "Slate Valley" / Taconic Mountains, New York and Vermont
Gold Mining - New Hampshire and Maine

Salt industry in Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Garnet Mining in the Adirondacks | Lake George Guide

Old 01-02-2014, 04:19 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
The West actually has a lot of deciduous forest. Portland is located in a mixed forest zone, there are tons of maple trees here. It's not all douglas-fir and western hemlock.

California has countless groves of oak forest and the mountainous areas of the inland west have huge aspen groves.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:37 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
lmao! Though in terms of American history, the liberty bell is probably the closest thing this country has to having something similar to the "Kaaba" in Mecca. So yes, it is sort of a pilgrimage in a way.
Hm. I saw it once back in the 70s. I've never felt the need to see it again. And ... I even have a personal connection to it. It was at a relative's funeral it was cracked.

So pilgrimage ... not even close.

Oh, and I've been to any number of mines. Of varying minerals.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:55 AM

690 posts, read 1,007,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Personally, I think the Bos-Wash corridor is stunning, whether you view it out the window while flying in a plane, or just driving through it. It's 430 miles of pure infrastructure, buildings, concrete, pollution, poverty and the like. There is nothing else like it in America. It's like one big continuous city, although there are patches of forest here and there.

Anyway, last summer, my friend from South Carolina came up to visit me in CT. He was shocked at how rural most of the northeast really is. And he even said that the people were friendly.
True I consider MD a mixed state between urban and rural the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay is very rural I believe in Kent county there are only like 20,000 people living there and its approximately 2 times bigger than both balt/wash put together with more than 600,000 people in both cities alone. The western shore is very urban and its where the cities are like Baltimore and DC are but even west of the cities and I-95 it turns into a lot of farmland especially in Cumberland.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 04-16-2014 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 12:50 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Somehow, I get the impression that your not into the exciting world of the history of mining. You do not understand what you are missing!

But since you mentioned mining, I decided to add a few more for the Northeast.

Salt Mining - Syracuse area, New York
Garnet Mining - Adirondacks Mountains, New York
Marble - Vermont
Slate - "Slate Valley" / Taconic Mountains, New York and Vermont
Gold Mining - New Hampshire and Maine

Salt industry in Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Garnet Mining in the Adirondacks | Lake George Guide
And I'll include a little mining history of marble from Cockeysville, MD Baltimore County. Its this high quality white marble that you see today in Baltimore's Washington Monument, Baltimore's City Hall, the white marble steps in the baltimore rowhomes, The Washington DC Washington monument, and the US capital building

Marble Steps
What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-2701510004_f2c0601782.jpg What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-2-18-stepskimber.jpeg What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-baltimoreswhitemarblesteps.jpg What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-42515f56410d73207ec19d08c70bce2f.jpg What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-afro_clean_block_91.jpg What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-tumblr_lm6edghxvx1qgikbdo1_500.jpg What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-tumblr_m99wjgpcjk1qgikbdo1_500.jpg What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-bc92b42f1c5136b4d0b83bdb5a868b9f.jpg

Baltimore's Washington Monument
What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-5011780433_2343d1a09d_z.jpg What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-wm.jpg

Baltimore's City Hall
What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-baltimore_md_city_hall.jpg

DC Washington Monument
What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-washington_monument_dusk_jan_2006.jpg

US Capital Building
What are some great things the Northeast has that the Western U.S. doesn't? (not trying to insult anyone)-6080137063_71b986b12f_b-1.jpg

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 04-16-2014 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.