Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
This wasn't an anti American post at all! I was only asking why Mcdonald's is still "on top" in the US as there's so many better places to get fast food for cheap. I much prefer Taco Bell to anything I could get on the Mcdonald's menu.
Taco Bell?! Ugh. If there is one fast food place I avoid like the plague, it's Taco Bell. Personally, my first stop if I'm hungry at 3am is Wendy's, but Taco Bell is only an option if there's no other choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 02:15 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I dont usually go to MacD's unless i'm driving at night,the drive through window is usually open 24/7. Other than the quick and convenient aspect i think there are better options than MacD's

Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Answer is simple: It's cheap. If I'm lazy and/or tired, I can get 2 chicken sandwiches, a small fry, and an apple pie for $4. .
That sounds amazingly cheap,That combo up here in Canada i'm sure would be north of $10

Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please provide a supporting link. The Mac's in Canada seemed just the same as the ones in the US. I never ate at a Mac's in Europe.
It's pretty well known that the USA has a lot of terrible stuff in their food that is never allowed in other countries, even other more poor countries. Other countries wouldn't have allowed the use of the "pink slime", or treating all the meats with the chemicals that they do in the USA (not just McDonalds, but most store bought lunchmeat) that have cancer causing agents, but make the meat last longer. In the UK they're required to have 100% actual cod fish in their filet-o-fish while in the USA that's not the case. Etc. etc. etc.

It's actually horrifying when you really research it - because all these food companies make more natural and quality versions of their food that they sell overseas, because they're required to by the rest of the worlds countries, yet in the USA they voluntarily make the cheap versions with chemicals and preservatives for our food. If you compare the ingredient lists on the exact same products many in the USA will have dozens of items (most of them you can't pronounce) while in Europe they sell the same thing with maybe 6 ingredients, most of them are natural things you recognize.

How Food Companies Exploit Americans - 100 Days of Real Food

As for Canada, they are required to use different items as well because Canada's food laws aren't held hostage by the food company lobbiests.

Canadian McDonald's vs. American McDonald's: Probably Healthier

Random quote from the link:

Quote:
Kroll specifically mentions that Canadian laws prohibit the use of ammonia-treated beef (a.k.a. “pink slime”). American laws do not. Canada is bound by other food safety regulations and public health laws that prevent certain scary ingredients from being sold that are widely available (and, likely, widely used by McDonald’s) stateside.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:20 PM

Another list - ingredients put into USA foods that are banned elsewhere in the world.

Banned Ingredients that Are Still Legal in the U.S.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
How about some links from real scientific sources? These read more like opinion pieces than factual information.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
The McDonalds in Europe tastes the exact same as in the U.S. It's crap wherever you eat it.

Europe, BTW, usually has less strict food standards than in the U.S. The EU version of the Food and Drug Administration is much more concerned about protecting certain interest groups (like beef providers in some nations) than actually making decisions based on hard science. It's basically a much more political role than in the U.S.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How about some links from real scientific sources? These read more like opinion pieces than factual information.
I just fed you multiple sources that are easy to read. Just google it if you want more, there's thousands of articles and studies that come up right away.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...her-countries/

This link was very straightforward. They list the ingredients in a few dozen items. The exact same item on a shelf someone else in the world and then the same product in the usa sold by the same company.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
The McDonalds in Europe tastes the exact same as in the U.S. It's crap wherever you eat it.

Europe, BTW, usually has less strict food standards than in the U.S. The EU version of the Food and Drug Administration is much more concerned about protecting certain interest groups (like beef providers in some nations) than actually making decisions based on hard science. It's basically a much more political role than in the U.S.
They listen to certain interest groups in the sense of keeping supplies local a lot more, but their standards are normally much more strict than the USA, not the other way around. They aren't abnormal in the world in the sense that we are. We allow much more synthetic and altered food and chemicals into what we eat to color food to make it look better or allow it to last a long time even though the compounds are bad on the human body. The food industry has the us regulations wrapped around its finger. The us food industry is much more commercialized and on a mass production scale.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I was very poor for several years running. I know it's cheaper to cook at home than it is to buy food at fast food restaurants regularly.

You can't look at a single meal - you have to look at the savings over time.
Yup, and then there's the future medical bills that people forget about when considering cost. The best health insurance plan is to stay healthy and that includes cooking good quality food at home a majority of the time. Cheaper in a lot of ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.