Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 09:54 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Other than DC and Dallas, I think Philly is well beyond most of those cities. Philly sits right next to Houston in a lot of things, I know Houston is a top 3 city, etc, but Philly is close.
I completely disagree and Houston and Philly aren't even competitors nor is one any sort of threat to the other; they specialize in different things and appeal to different types of people. Even so, I wasn't talking about statistics and I'm sure that dude isn't thinking in those terms either. I'm talking about geographic proximity. Seeing as though they are soooo far apart, Philly isn't on Houston's radar like that and vice versa. The two cities are almost polar opposites of each other (although, strangely enough, both probably have the most palpable blue-collar vibes out of the top 10 cities) so someone from Houston consistently taking jabs at Philly of all places...it's gotta be for personal reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 09:17 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
. . . someone from Houston consistently taking jabs at Philly of all places...it's gotta be for personal reasons.
I’m guessing a band of rogue Quakers once stole his lunch money in middle school. It’s time to move on, man.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:47 AM

795 posts, read 482,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
To put it crudely, I’ve always figured the “rivalry” generally boils down to Boston not licking New York’s boots as much as the latter expects it to. Whenever I talk to friends who live in NYC, they’ll start on about “that thing De Blasio did” or “some new regulation that’s in place” and expect me to just know what they’re talking about. Like, I love NYC. I go down often to see musicals, go to art museums, and eat at trendy restaurants. Beyond that, I pay it as little mind as I do any other city that I don’t live in. A lot of NY people seem to find that unacceptable.
I think this is very interesting and a fair statement. I'm glad you mentioned this Boston Shudra! I'm just going to take my view a bit further with it.

I feel there is also a deeper reasoning behind it.
I think it has to do more with psychology or pride and not so much geography. New York City being the biggest city in the US, naturally there is a bigger percentage that more people have this "We're the end all" attitude that most others feel is off putting. However, just looking and reading through all these forums (as well as worldly interactions), I see many posters from many different cities that have this 'one upmanship' attitude or superiority complex towards another location for any number of (usually foolish) reasons. Usually hubris is the cause, since most people seem to have forgot that they can show gratification for 'their city' (for a lack of better verbiage) without being arrogant or dismissive of another place.

This whole 'rival' business has always seemed really odd to me. Why would any city want to be a rival or competitor with another city, and why would any city want to look down on another city if not to feel better about oneself? Comparing and contrasting cities can be an interesting discussion if it stays mutually respectful, but this rivalry business that runs rampant stokes the flames for patronizing competition and is foolish in my opinion.

New York City is New York City, Boston is Boston, Philadelphia is Philadelphia, Los Angeles is Los Angeles, Chicago is Chicago, San Francisco is San Francisco, Atlanta is Atlanta, Houston is Houston, Miami is Miami, Washington DC is Washington DC, etc... Each of these and all our cities have their importance. Why would you want to 'rival' another?

I personally think the 'rivalry' has to do with sports.... Which is really unwise too. Rivalry usually leads to irrational thought and behavior and increases manufactured agitation.

Otherwise they're just cities trying to do the best they can with what they have, and improve their cities for further growth...

Old 05-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I’m guessing a band of rogue Quakers once stole his lunch money in middle school. It’s time to move on, man.
Right...lol. Philly doesn't bother anyone (and I'm not referring to Eagles fans lol).

Old 05-07-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulll View Post
I think this is very interesting and a fair statement. I'm glad you mentioned this Boston Shudra! I'm just going to take my view a bit further with it.

I feel there is also a deeper reasoning behind it.
I think it has to do more with psychology or pride and not so much geography. New York City being the biggest city in the US, naturally there is a bigger percentage that more people have this "We're the end all" attitude that most others feel is off putting. However, just looking and reading through all these forums (as well as worldly interactions), I see many posters from many different cities that have this 'one upmanship' attitude or superiority complex towards another location for any number of (usually foolish) reasons. Usually hubris is the cause, since most people seem to have forgot that they can show gratification for 'their city' (for a lack of better verbiage) without being arrogant or dismissive of another place.

This whole 'rival' business has always seemed really odd to me. Why would any city want to be a rival or competitor with another city, and why would any city want to look down on another city if not to feel better about oneself? Comparing and contrasting cities can be an interesting discussion if it stays mutually respectful, but this rivalry business that runs rampant stokes the flames for patronizing competition and is foolish in my opinion.

New York City is New York City, Boston is Boston, Philadelphia is Philadelphia, Los Angeles is Los Angeles, Chicago is Chicago, San Francisco is San Francisco, Atlanta is Atlanta, Houston is Houston, Miami is Miami, Washington DC is Washington DC, etc... Each of these and all our cities have their importance. Why would you want to 'rival' another?

I personally think the 'rivalry' has to do with sports.... Which is really unwise too. Rivalry usually leads to irrational thought and behavior and increases manufactured agitation.

Otherwise they're just cities trying to do the best they can with what they have, and improve their cities for further growth...
Yeah I think it's pretty much a sports thing also but in this global economy, cities do compete for jobs and talent like never before and rivalries have emerged on that basis. I don't think anything is wrong with that per se, as long as it's used as a way to make your city work better for both current and potential future residents and businesses and isn't taken to silly and unhealthy extremes.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:10 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Celtics-Sixers is a much bigger rivalry than Celtics-Knicks. Celtics-NJ Nets was a rivalry for a minute in the early 2000s.

Patriots-GIants and Patriots-Jets is a bigger rivalry than Patriots-Eagles.

I don't need to mention baseball. Don't watch hockey.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:13 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelizmskizm View Post
Wait, lemme get this straight. UPenn, which is Ivy League isn't seen as the being in the same league as Columbia and Harvard, which is also Ivy League.

Lol.
Harvard Princeton Yale

Dartmouth Columbia Upenn

Brown Cornell (Stanford/Hopkins)

Old 05-07-2020, 01:38 PM

795 posts, read 482,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah I think it's pretty much a sports thing also but in this global economy, cities do compete for jobs and talent like never before and rivalries have emerged on that basis. I don't think anything is wrong with that per se, as long as it's used as a way to make your city work better for both current and potential future residents and businesses and isn't taken to silly and unhealthy extremes.

Very much agreed!

Unfortunately I think many a time, it's taken to silly and unhealthy extremes. Especially on C-D lol.

Last edited by CinderFella7; 05-07-2020 at 02:10 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulll View Post
Very much agreed!

Unfortunately I think many a time, it's taken to silly and unhealthy extremes. Especially on C-D lol.
I think it's only taken to extremes online and in personal interactions between folks who are passionate about their cities.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:19 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Don't watch hockey.
Boston’s hockey rivalry is with MTL, not NYC. In that instance, however, the rivalry really doesn’t extend past sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.