Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,663,284 times

Advertisements

I feel like in middle school they taught U.S. history & Social Studies with a huge bias towards the events in Boston. I didn't even know where Valley Forge was, or the Delaware River, or Philadelphia for that matter, when I was that age. That would be public school in Providence, RI but really the textbooks are the same across the country. The only thing I knew about Phiadelphia before I saw it for the first time (taking AMTRAK to DC as a kid) was that it was the name of a cream cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
I've seen a lot of Americans who know about Boston... tons.... most people know of Philadelphia being where fresh prince was born and raised and on the playground is where he spent most of his days....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I feel like in middle school they taught U.S. history & Social Studies with a huge bias towards the events in Boston. I didn't even know where Valley Forge was, or the Delaware River, or Philadelphia for that matter, when I was that age. That would be public school in Providence, RI but really the textbooks are the same across the country. The only thing I knew about Phiadelphia before I saw it for the first time (taking AMTRAK to DC as a kid) was that it was the name of a cream cheese.
I grew up in the Phila. region and did learn more about Gettysburg, Valley Forge, etc., than I did about the historical events in Boston. I spent half my eighth grade year on the Civil War in general and Gettysburg in particular, even going on a field trip to the battlefield.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
The Eagles need to win something first........................................
It'll happen soon........as long as A. Reid doesn't screw things up.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It'll happen soon........as long as A. Reid doesn't screw things up.
Or if Vick doesn't get injured. I think that's a more probable scenario than Reid being the problem.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Or if Vick doesn't get injured. I think that's a more probable scenario than Reid being the problem.
Both are equally scary as worst-case scenarios; Reid is a great handler of egos, personalities, and he plans very well in building a team. His biggest problem is that he can't coach/manage an actual football game to save his life.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:56 PM

702 posts, read 3,011,098 times
The "rivalry" is mainly sports/media driven. NYC is many times the size of Boston so it is not comparable. Boston will never be a New York nor does it want to be. However I think there are many traits of both cities that each other admire and their relationship in business/education etc is quite close.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:22 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
I always considered Philly a small sister of NYC, so no rivalry. Boston, IMO, was always the smaller brother with the Napoleon complex.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
The answer, of course, is because was not Philadelphia that sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees. Up until 1920, Philadelphia WAS the rival of New York.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:35 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,524,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
To be fair to Philadelphia though its Center City area is becoming one of the most affluent in the nation with housing costs that rival those of some Manhattan neighborhoods and more high-rises cropping up each year. I think Center City Philadelphia could easily rival Boston's Beacon Hill. A lot of white-collars are now moving to Greater Philadelphia and then hopping a train to commute back to work in Greater New York City. If anything these two cities will merge to form a very large combined statistical area (CSA) by about 2020 or 2030 as so many folks commute between both cities. By doing so the new New York City/Philadelphia CSA will easily be the largest in the nation for many years to come.
lol

Old 05-04-2020, 10:52 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Its because its so close to NYC people have a better perspective on how much smaller and insignificant Philly is compared to NYC.

Up in Boston many New Englanders don't go to NYC much or know much about it (many do) but the distance creates this illogical disconnect where Bostonians think the city is bigger and more able to rival NYC. Its not. They just forget how tiny Boston is. They think because everyone in MA wants to be 'from Boston' and RI and NH rely on the Boston engine thats is actually the end all be all ..the holy grail. Big fish, little New England pond.

Harder to do that in Philly when NYC is only an hour and a half away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.