Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 03:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
They sold a condo in Back Bay for 3.2 million. and mltible others in the 3 million range
and LOL
No i dont think so, Boston is still better by a narrow Margin.

Boston is more expensive that Philly in general but there was a 17 million condo that sold last year FWIW. But was a penthouse and rumored to have been purchased by Ryan Howard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Boston is more expensive that Philly in general but there was a 17 million condo that sold last year FWIW. But was a penthouse and rumored to have been purchased by Ryan Howard.
I wouldnt Pay 17 million dollars to live in a mansion in Manhatten, let alone a condo in CC, he is crazy

Old 08-01-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I wouldnt Pay 17 million dollars to live in a mansion in Manhatten, let alone a condo in CC, he is crazy

I hear you. Also it probably sold well below the listing price - though there is a fairly healthy market in the 1-5 million range for condos in Rittenhouse. A new 31 story building in Rittenhouse just started yesterday I believe - probably will be toward the low end of that with the smaller condos below the million range.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:36 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I hear you. Also it probably sold well below the listing price - though there is a fairly healthy market in the 1-5 million range for condos in Rittenhouse. A new 31 story building in Rittenhouse just started yesterday I believe - probably will be toward the low end of that with the smaller condos below the million range.
Really the only reason Boston is so much more expensive than Philly is because they dont let anything get built while Philly does, so for boston it is same Demand, and continously less stock. While Philly has a countinuosly growing stock, allowing for a steady cost of housing.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:51 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
They sold a condo in Back Bay for 3.2 million. and mltible others in the 3 million range
and LOL
No i dont think so, Boston is still better by a narrow Margin.
Homes in Boston go for quite a bit more than 3.2 mil...one of the penthouses in the Mandarin Oriental in Back Bay just sold for a bit over $13 mil. Last year the highest was about $11 mil...here's the top 10 from last year. Also, according to BostonRealEstate, there are 6 homes in the city proper listed over $10 mil, with the highest at $23 million.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Rosecranz View Post

Boston hates New York.
No we don't. We hate the Yankees, that's a very different thing.

As for the question? The answer is fairly obvious. Philadelphia is tainted (from a NY reference) by New Jersey. Boston is further away, and thereby not associated with areas more intimately tied in with New York. It's far enough away to be seen as a respected (though diminutive) rival, whereas Philadelphia is just across the river from South Jersey -- why would NYC compare itself to that?

Add to this that Philadelphia has a more valid reason to rival Baltimore or DC, and it just makes sense for NYC/Boston to compete with one another. The two cities have more in common than either does with other BOS/WASH cities (universities, finance, health care, art, and of course Baseball).

Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
I almost got serious beat down in A Montreal bar for wearing a yankees hat, by some big ass jocks..............who were wearing boston bruins jersey's. The hate towards NY is strong on the beantown side of things, specially when alcohol is involved........Those Irish guys love to fight.LOL

Old 08-03-2011, 09:05 AM

Great article from the WSJ

Jason Gay: Philly Out-New Yorks New York - WSJ.com

In a little twist of irony and am not sure if the author knows, but NBC (channel for SNL) is now owned by Comcast and headquartered in Philly which is kind of funny given the last line of the article...

Quote:
Crazy as it seems, New York is starting to feel like an also-ran. What's next? Live from Philadelphia—it's Saturday Night!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
No we don't. We hate the Yankees, that's a very different thing.

As for the question? The answer is fairly obvious. Philadelphia is tainted (from a NY reference) by New Jersey. Boston is further away, and thereby not associated with areas more intimately tied in with New York. It's far enough away to be seen as a respected (though diminutive) rival, whereas Philadelphia is just across the river from South Jersey -- why would NYC compare itself to that?

Add to this that Philadelphia has a more valid reason to rival Baltimore or DC, and it just makes sense for NYC/Boston to compete with one another. The two cities have more in common than either does with other BOS/WASH cities (universities, finance, health care, art, and of course Baseball).

Philly is closer to NYC than Balt or DC also the rivalry in sports is far more heated with NY than either baltimore or DC; especially in sports.

There is the Yanks/Sox but also Giants/Eagles (more heated than Jets/Pats) and also Mets/Phils (but not the same as Yanks/Sox) then th Rangers/Flyers or even Devils/Flyers

and on your criteria please elaborate on where the commonalities of

Universities, health care, art, football are any stronger or even as strong when comparing NYC to Philly - Finance I give you

Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
I think on the sports end of things, this thread is now an amusing relic as Philly has fully stepped up its baseball and football games to unprecedented heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.