Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,476,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I never understood why better rail service was never established all over the Quad-State Area to ease traffic congestion. We need rail lines from the Lehigh Valley to NYC and Philly. We need rail lines from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to the Lehigh Valley and then onwards to NYC and Philly. We need rail lines from Atlantic City to Philly and NYC. We need rail lines from Danbury to NYC. We can only tear down so many homes in NJ to widen the freeways before Garden Staters start squawking at us!
There are people in Philly that I think take the train to work in NY,so there's adequate rail here. We even have trains from Philly into south Jersey. As far as from the Scranton area...well I think there are some bus lines that run that for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 09:29 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
There are people in Philly that I think take the train to work in NY,so there's adequate rail here. We even have trains from Philly into south Jersey. As far as from the Scranton area...well I think there are some bus lines that run that for now
Rail is ultimately the way to go in the long-term. Route 22 and I-78 between the Lehigh Valley and NJ are very congested at times. I-81 through Scranton/Wilkes-Barre now carries 80,000 vehicles per day, which is twice its intended capacity as a four-lane highway. The Lehigh Valley continues to grow rapidly with most recent estimates showing its population has now eclipsed 800,000 residents. Without commuter rail connections to NYC, North Jersey, and Philly, Route 22 and I-78 will become 24/7 parking lots. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre just noted its first year of population growth after many decades of decline, and that trend is expected to continue as more NJ/NYC folks come here in search of the inexpensive housing they were once able to find in the Lehigh Valley but are no longer able to. I-81 will be at well over 100,000 vehicles per day by the time plans to widen it to six lanes through the metroplex are finalized potentially twenty years from now. The entire Quad-State Area will become a huge parking lot unless better large-scale mass transit options are initiated.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:21 AM

Pennsylvania better get on the ball then!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:22 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I told you I-71 was a waste of money. We need a freeway from Traverse City to Alpena, or Green Bay to Wausau. Elect me for president.
What's weird is that I-71 going from Cincy to Columbus is actually more of an east-west highway than a north-south one. talk about irony there.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
What's weird is that I-71 going from Cincy to Columbus is actually more of an east-west highway than a north-south one. talk about irony there.
We got a couple of those here also

Old 01-08-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Fair point, but trust me.....NY is far closer to Philadelphia no matter how you slice it
yea, looked at the maps, and you are right. Will think twice before I speak from now on

Old 01-08-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Pennsylvania better get on the ball then!
Agreed. You do know that we'll end up paying higher taxes for this in one way or another though, right? Having one of the highest gasoline taxes in the nation and creating additional toll roads isn't enough to help upkeep our infrastructure I suppose.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I-380 runs almost due south from Scranton to the Poconos, yet it was named "East" and "West" for the longest time before PennDOT finally changed it to "North" and "South" several years ago.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I-380 runs almost due south from Scranton to the Poconos, yet it was named "East" and "West" for the longest time before PennDOT finally changed it to "North" and "South" several years ago.
Another weird one. I-94 runs from Chicago to Milwaukee, which is almost due north and due south, but is called an east-west highway. I-69 in Michigan I think around Lansing curves sharply and runs more east-west to where it terminates with I-94 in Port Huron.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
That's the one I was trying to think of. I found it kind of weird also on Route 209 near Jim Thorpe,it kind of runs east-west or diagonal but it's called north-south. Kind of messes with my internal compass,but that's nothing new for me in PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.