Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 07:45 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
They have poverty everywhere not just the South, a lot of Ohio is Appalachian and poor as well. I do miss Columbus OH sometimes and when people make fun of Ohio I have to stick up for my home state. I love living in the South thou, its more progressive than people think.
Well, you really wouldn't think that is true going by the posts on City Data now would you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Or more precisely, where would the South be without the Fed Govt forcing the states there to accord simple human rights to its own citizens.

Wow!!!! Talk about ignorance.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:04 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Well, you really wouldn't think that is true going by the posts on City Data now would you.
Which hardly mirror reality more often than not.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:04 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Well, as long you clarify you don't mean every single person...

Your experience, like everyone's, is going to be extremely limited when it comes to people. The fact that you're sitting there and judging all Northerners (and yes, you are doing exactly that) doesn't exactly show that you're all that in tune with what might be considered "friendly" or "courteous", because you seem to be the opposite of that.

I will take a supposedly rude, unfriendly Northerner to your brand of warmth any day.
Actually, my experiences are fairly extensive. It's not required that one interact with all members of a group to discern certain commonalities or trends present in that group. Statistics accounts for this by stipulating that representative samples be required to make such statements about the group such samples are representing. By your logic, telephone opinion polls (such as those used to gauge the likely voting patterns of an overall electorate) are unacceptable.

I have strong beliefs and probably come off as very opinionated. I believe in courtesy and friendliness, but not meekness.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:07 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Especially not on this thread.

We had:
-Climate change denial.
-TDIT slavery posts.
-The North started the Civil War.
-Lincoln was a douche who hated black people.

Pretty progressive stuff.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Actually, my experiences are fairly extensive. It's not required that one interact with all members of a group to discern certain commonalities or trends present in that group. Statistics accounts for this by stipulating that representative samples be required to make such statements about the group such samples are representing. By your logic, telephone opinion polls (such as those used to gauge the likely voting patterns of an overall electorate) are unacceptable.

I have strong beliefs and probably come off as very opinionated. I believe in courtesy and friendliness, but not meekness.
Well bless your heart.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:12 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:

That is one of the problems with some. Too many here get their education from city-data and Hollywood, and have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:13 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
So after 14 pages (and sorry for all the posts all at once)... but maybe it's not "The South Will Rise Again!", but rather "The South Maybe Will Rise Some More*"

*If the North allows it.

EXCUSE me? If the North allows it, my @ss!

As a former Buckeye that lives in the South by CHOICE and absolutely loves it, just stop.

It's time for you to come down from your imaginary pedestal, because you are just embarrassing yourself at this point.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:19 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Well bless your heart.
Why thank you...

I'm not even a Southerner. No reason to take it out on me for liking the ways and gentle kindness of small town Southern folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zwq9RCeISY

Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
EXCUSE me? If the North allows it, my @ss!

As a former Buckeye that lives in the South by CHOICE and absolutely loves it, just stop.

It's time for you to come down from your imaginary pedestal, because you are just embarrassing yourself at this point.
It was more or less a joke, but there's a lot of truth to it.

I'm not sure that the South as a region has been fully in control of its own destiny without direct influence from the North for 150 years.

The North obviously controlled it in the aftermath of the Civil War. It dragged the region kicking and screaming into the Civil Rights era. And quite a bit of its economic/population growth has been as a result of people (like you) and enterprise that were educated and enriched in the North and then shifted to the South rather than being home-grown. Obviously, this is not true for everything, but I would love to see some kind of study on just how much of the South's rise in the last 50 years has been as a direct or indirect result of Northern migration rather than the South itself improving.

And if you were a Buckeye, you'd never put "former" in front of it. I don't live in Ohio currently, either, but I'll never be "former" anything. I love my home state and will definitely be back one day. I have nothing but pride from where I'm from. The state and region has some of the richest history and best people in the country, imo. But enjoy your palm trees or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.