Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 03:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Interestingly, the snow storm that caused 1,000 motor vehicles to be abandoned on the highway took place in ATLANTA ...

This year here in Philly the grand accumulated total of snow was 2" ... not exactly a winter wonderland.

The only places in the US that can really brag about warm winters are Hawai'i, the southernmost tip of California and Texas, and Florida below Lake Okeechobee.

Mobile, AL reached 17F this winter (at the airport though). But you are correct. The South is way too prone to severe arctic outbreaks compared to every other subtropical region in the world. Single digits have been recorded in Houston, Mobile, Charleston, Savannah, etc. We are talking temps below 10F. And loads of palm trees were killed when that happened. It was in the 1980's. It will happen again when the cold Atlantic Ocean cycle happens in around 10-15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Yes thats true about a good part of Indiana, particularly the Southern two thirds, where a sizeable portion of the population comes from Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia. I spent most of my early life in Muncie and me most everybody I knew was raised to say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes sir and no sir, be respectful to older people and respect authority and not question it, love America, say the pledge of allegiance at the beginning of each school day, be humble, and to remember the golden rule. Basicly most Hoosiers were raised with conservative family values.

How do you feel then when you see posts by some on here extolling their hatred for the Fed Govt, you know the USA, Stars and Stripes, etc.? The same people that extol their hatred for the Fed Govt, wanna bet they call themselves "conservatives" that love America. Such bizarre thinking that I can't wrap my brain around are the types that despise and hate the Fed Govt, while at the same time blabbing about how they are patriotic Americans. Believe it or not, America is the USA, which in turn is the Fed Govt and the Constitution. Secession ends the USA. Period. Is that what you want?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Most southerners I know are very patriotic - and I know a lot of them since I'm from the south and live in the south! You're much more likely to see an American flag on a southerner's bumper or a "support the troops" sticker than you are likely to see a confederate flag.

Also, I've seen my fair share of confederate flags in states outside the south. I even saw a huge one hanging outside of a house in a little village in Germany! That was weird.

Kathryn, do you think it is very patriotic to hate Lincoln or the Fed Govt (of today)?

I see you responded to the post about Fort Sumter, but not one reponse to FSU or Absent Minded going on about how much they hate the Fed Govt and want secession? Makes me think you agree with them in some sort of fashion.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:19 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
How do you feel then when you see posts by some on here extolling their hatred for the Fed Govt, you know the USA, Stars and Stripes, etc.? The same people that extol their hatred for the Fed Govt, wanna bet they call themselves "conservatives" that love America. Such bizarre thinking that I can't wrap my brain around are the types that despise and hate the Fed Govt, while at the same time blabbing about how they are patriotic Americans. Believe it or not, America is the USA, which in turn is the Fed Govt and the Constitution. Secession ends the USA. Period. Is that what you want?
No, the USA is not the federal government. The USA is nothing but the people of this land. Hating the government does not equate to hating America. Actually, it's nothing more than hating a force that's hostile to Americans and the interests of Middle America and is a sell-out to special interests and multinational corporations, among other things.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Some really ugly stuff from both sides here. Embarassing.

Yes, particularly the hatred of Lincoln. Disgusting, and a complete distortion of history.

Also the posters blabbing about their hatred of the Fed Govt. The rural South should be very thankful for FDR, and how he transformed the region thru the TVA, the Rural Electrification Program, and his myriad of conservation programs that still work to this very day. They were literally starving, and in just 4 years their income levels doubled.

Proponents of "states rights" never want to talk about the vile and disgusting human rights violations committed by many states. If not for the Fed Govt keeping vigilant, states would trample all over the rights of US citizens. Up until even the early 1970's, states clearly violated the US Constitution by having excessively long state residency requirements. Also, states back in history tried to impede the travel of citizens and goods between states. Again it was the Fed Govt that stepped in to settle things.

The Absent Minded guy from NJ now living in South Carolina might want to remember that next time he talks about hating the Fed Govt or calling US Govt employees "dirt bags". He wouldn't even be able to vote in South Carolina if it wasn't for the Fed Govt forcing states to change their laws about residency and travel.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
No, the USA is not the federal government. The USA is nothing but the people of this land. Hating the government does not equate to hating America. Actually, it's nothing more than hating a force that's hostile to Americans and the interests of Middle America and is a sell-out to special interests and multinational corporations, among other things.

The people need to vote, and exercise their rights within the US framework, and then "special interests" and corporations will have their power restrained. Breaking apart the US into little republics and dismantling the United States won't solve the two things you mentioned. In fact, it would make them worse.

And claiming the USA is just the people of the land is a preposterous claim and holds no validity in law. So the Constitution means nothing?

Old 01-20-2015, 05:02 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
The people need to vote, and exercise their rights within the US framework, and then "special interests" and corporations will have their power restrained.
How is voting supposed to change anything? It's a two party system and all other voices are extremely marginalized by design. Both political parties sing the same globalist tune. They are practically the same.

Quote:
Breaking apart the US into little republics and dismantling the United States won't solve the two things you mentioned. In fact, it would make them worse.
In this event, that would depend more on how each region decides to govern themselves. If a given region wants to be just like the USA, then it probably would be worse. I wouldn't have much hope for a Northeastern republic, since it would be only be controlled to an even greater extent by the globalists and banksters in NYC.

Quote:
And claiming the USA is just the people of the land is a preposterous claim and holds no validity in law. So the Constitution means nothing?
What difference does law make? America exists because of the American people. You cannot replace the American people and still call it America. But we could completely change our government and still be Americans. But this is exactly the kind of thinking that I feel is symptomatic of the rootlessness of America today. Would you say the same of a country with a more established history, and people who are connected to the land, such as most European countries? No, that would be preposterous. If, for example, the Icelandic government ceased to be, the Icelanders would still be Icelanders and Iceland would still exist through them.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:25 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If I'm gonna be outdoors, it's much easier to keep cool and comfortable in 105 degree heat than it is to keep comfortably warm when it's zero degrees outside. There are lots of ways to beat the heat. It's almost impossible to stay warm in zero degree whether without dressing in 3 or 4 layers of clothing and a ski mask and a hood, and if you do manage to stay somewhat warm, it's not very comfortable because your wearing wearing close to 20 pounds of extra clothing.
Gotta disagree. Want to stay cool in 105? Stay in air conditioning or in water. Want to stay warm in zero degrees? Put on a coat. Plus you can enjoy yourself on ice and snow. I've yet to notice any fun thing that can be done with humidity.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:33 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Quote:
Yes, particularly the hatred of Lincoln. Disgusting, and a complete distortion of history.

Also the posters blabbing about their hatred of the Fed Govt. The rural South should be very thankful for FDR, and how he transformed the region thru the TVA, the Rural Electrification Program, and his myriad of conservation programs that still work to this very day. They were literally starving, and in just 4 years their income levels doubled.

Proponents of "states rights" never want to talk about the vile and disgusting human rights violations committed by many states. If not for the Fed Govt keeping vigilant, states would trample all over the rights of US citizens. Up until even the early 1970's, states clearly violated the US Constitution by having excessively long state residency requirements. Also, states back in history tried to impede the travel of citizens and goods between states. Again it was the Fed Govt that stepped in to settle things.

The Absent Minded guy from NJ now living in South Carolina might want to remember that next time he talks about hating the Fed Govt or calling US Govt employees "dirt bags". He wouldn't even be able to vote in South Carolina if it wasn't for the Fed Govt forcing states to change their laws about residency and travel.
Yes thank God for the federal government secretly slipping people LSD just to see what would happen and giving people STDs for the fun of it all. Any large faceless organization has a great temptation towards evil, but at least the sap alley ones have fewer resources to cover up what they're doing.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

Ever worn a t-shirt and shorts on Christmas Day? I have.
So.. um... should Northerners be swooning or something over such an incredible feat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.