Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 05:38 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times

Advertisements

Yeah Texas has some ugly plates now. Hopefully, they'll wise up soon and drop the inspections and front plates to be more freedom oriented like other Southern states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 07:59 AM

676 posts, read 960,577 times
In Canada, Ontario requires front plates, while Quebec does not.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:44 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,933 times
This is another question along these lines here but why do some states have the counties on the plates? I know Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky and Mississippi do and have always wondered why

Old 08-24-2015, 05:10 PM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
This is another question along these lines here but why do some states have the counties on the plates? I know Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky and Mississippi do and have always wondered why
Ohio adopted this about 30 years ago. Originally, the county name was spelled out, but then they went to stickers in the corner of the plates that have the number of the county. Perhaps this is because the place where the county name sticker went is often obscured by license plate frames. The counties are numbered by alphabetical order, so 85 = Wayne county.

As to why they identify vehicles by county, I do not know.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:11 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
County id's are good for middle to smaller states as to help them narrow down where the car is registered. Some states still use county codes, such as Idaho, where police can look at 1A, or 2C, and know immediately what county the vehicle is registered in. Montana, and others still do this. It is more difficult in larger states, and Florida is somewhat an anomaly in showing the county on the plate, but it is not universal throughout the state, (why do I not find that surprising?). Washington State gave up on county codes decades ago.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-24-2015 at 09:27 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 09:53 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
County id's are good for middle to smaller states as to help them narrow down where the car is registered. Some states still use county codes, such as Idaho, where police can look at 1A, or 2C, and know immediately what county the vehicle is registered in. Montana, and others still do this. It is more difficult in larger states, and Florida is somewhat an anomaly in showing the county on the plate, but it is not universal throughout the state, (why do I not find that surprising?). Washington State gave up on county codes decades ago.
More states do this than you'd think. Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee all do this, Indiana used to do it, but now they have a set of numbers that correlate to the counties, they're in alphabetical order correlation.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:08 PM

Thanks for that. Yeah, I'm a license plate geek too, and it is fun to decipher the codes among different states. I lived in Illinois for awhile in the mid-2000's but could never figure out their numbering system. An odd mix of all numbers and some letters/numbers. I wish someone could explain their system, but knowing Illinois government, unlikely.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:02 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post

Yes they all do seem to have the county on them. I don't know the reason. Maybe its an expression of doing their own thing. I don't know. Here in Florida you have your choice of county, In God We Trust or you can have Sunshine State on the Plate. Then of course there are all the different Vanity Plates. So many I don't know how the Police can identify its a Florida Plate. At least in other states. I just have the Sunshine State plate. That slogan has been on Florida Plates for many decades. I'm not interested in advertising anything else on a plate.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 PM

You want vanity plate confusion? Or even standard plate confusion? Try Montana. They must be #1 in the country for different plates, tons of vanities, and also they allow standard plates from atleast three, maybe four different eras! You really get a variety of plates in Montana. The state police must be going crazy with all these.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:21 PM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
You want vanity plate confusion? Or even standard plate confusion? Try Montana. They must be #1 in the country for different plates, tons of vanities, and also they allow standard plates from atleast three, maybe four different eras! You really get a variety of plates in Montana. The state police must be going crazy with all these.
Ohio does not require you to purchase new plates unless the old plates are illegible. I buy new plates with each new vehicle, about every 6-7 years. There are a variety of designs in use. I am not sure how often the license plate design is changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.