Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 10:07 PM

511 posts, read 399,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
NOT Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago or Philadelphia!!!!! The life expectancy of a young black man in Charleston, West Virginia and Boise, Idaho are FAR higher.
Isn't West Virginia like over 90% White? I've never heard of Black people say they want to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 07:57 AM

313 posts, read 160,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
A city where blacks are most successful
True but not true Top 10 cities for black middle-class 1947 or 50s .Seattle was definitely the best of the west because the city was newer and smaller vibrant community, San Francisco Oakland was on the list and La Cleveland were 9 and 10 historically it was Boston number 1 and Detroit New york Chicago according to the Negro Digest at that time no city in the South but major
Cities in the South especially doing the winning of the civil rights movement like Atlanta Houston Charlotte and
Memphis were the best down South around the 70s and 80s which some cities started too be better then up North. All based on growth economically politically, population and culturally..Despite how big or small city is and popularity no growth no good.San Francisco New York Los Angeles Seattle probably most popular cities in the world and still growing urban landscape beauty etc
But no kind of growth with certain communities or within U.S and only foreigners relocating probably wouldn't
Consider a top list no more maybe for forigners that about it.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
And I'm certain Fairfax is not black from our previous communications on the DC forum. Check out his/her statement!

"Second, most "truly successful blacks" are usually at the envy and scorn in the eyes of most of the black community, dealing with constant bickering from their own of being "not black enough" and "acting white." Again, ATL, Dallas, and DC has a lot of bitter blacks who rile up to these more successful and educated blacks. These two factors overlap, resulting in a disliking of the "educated, successful, or non-stereotypical" black person from all angles."

This comment alone sounds like a right-wing rant on talk radio. You cannot generalize a whole race of people based on a few sample experiences. Where are these bitter blacks that are riling up successful blacks? It's just like when Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson makes a statement and the rest of America thinks this is the voice of Black America. Growing up in Brooklyn and DC, I have met blacks from all walks of society. I have never ever seen this as a prevalent theme in our community. Don't get me wrong, blacks have a lot if issues but this is not one of them. We are always typecast when we do not tow the line. I have seen it in corporate America. When blacks speak up for themselves in the workplace, we are usually tagged as trouble makers. When other races do it, they are called passionate. Fairfax, I know your type. You have a hard time dealing with blacks that don't stay in their place. DC is full of them as well as other cities.

By the way, what is a non stereotypical black? Barack Obama? That statement alone tells me that you are not black. A true black person would never use that phrase to describe his race. We need to stop letting others define who we are. The next time you see the guy with the baggy jeans and a Northface, he could be a lawyer.
Bam you said it plus I wouldn't never get no information from a person that not from our culture or **** like Census which dated 10 or 20 plus years for us..I know even 2005 them numbers are not accurate.. The reason if you look up Washington post black American market
The top 10 metro black professionals making 75k or more them numbers are way higher more like 100,000 or more depend on jobs city government engineer accountant managers which our a lot of stem jobs other occupation which we diverse in the industry. Bottom line do our own research not look for another person approve especially the ones don't like us..

Old 12-18-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I don't really understand the question.

If it's: Which cities are most conducive to an african-american having a successful professional career? Then that would mostly be a question of what type of work you're hoping to be successful IN?

For example, if you want to do well in the tech industry, move to San Jose, Austin, or Boston.
If you want to do well in finance, business management or a number of other things, move to NYC, Chicago or SF. If you want to get into the entertainment industry, move to LA. And so on...San Francisco bay don't hired a lot of Minority techs too begin with I'm talking about the ones that are educated in Certain cities a White male could have a high school diploma been in incarcerated compare too a black or Latino male with a clean record and a degree would still won't even get hired . It's a case of keeping it in the family which I seen this in my own eyes no leadership no progress

There may be certain places, like in the 'deep south' where deep-seeded racism could possibly hold a black person back in any field, but other than that, I think your education and experience is ultimately what matters.
The South now days are doing more better then big cities up North and California because of economic growth most places blacks are leaving going back too there families down South you get more bang for your buck better opportunities and some kind of strong community

Old 12-26-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Yes. Is there any particular city you thought was low? I know these numbers can be an eye opener. You have to take a few things into consideration…

1) There really aren’t that many black professionals anywhere in the country. The group is small, which jibes with stories you often here from black females noting it’s hard to find mates; or black professionals who complain about seeing the same people over and over again at parties in their cities. Keep in mind, these numbers are just for people classified as “professionalsâ€, not total black population.

2) You have to consider that within a particular population of people, only about a quarter of them are typically members of the “working†population. A good number of the population are also children, elderly, students, the unemployed, etc. In particular, for blacks, our unemployment numbers are much higher those of most other groups.

3) Lastly, as I said before, you might want to check my numbers. There may be some outlying areas of a particular metro area that perhaps could be added together that I omitted. For example, perhaps adding Ciny and Dayton together? But I guarantee you one thing; any number omitted would be immaterial to the numbers I’ve listed.

Also, keep in mind as I said, this information was compiled as a survey, I believe. So these would not be exact numbers. The numbers probably are higher, maybe even much higher. I would recommend you look at this to deduce what area has more than others, as opposed to using it to simply conclude something like, "NY has 70K black professionals, while Charlotte has 8K". Instead, you should simply conclude that NY has approximatley 10 times as many black profesionals as Charlotte. Does that make sense?
Good. Explanation That what I consider mainly the cities most black professionals instead numbers which I know are small

Old 01-11-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
What is your definition of decent amount of Black people ? Any place that is atleast 20% Black ? Atleast 15% Black ? Atleast 10% Black ?
20% or more is a decent population for any group especially economically politically socially and networking opportunities.for a big city or a Town.which any group would love too have a positive impact ..
Actually Milwaukee or Columbus I would prefer Columbus make sense more on positive impact.
San Francisco City by it's self compare too Austin I would prefer Austin more better situation economically.
Atlanta or St Louis Atlanta

Old 01-14-2022, 10:03 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Depends on whats your ethnic background, gender and occupation tbh.

Old 11-07-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Facts. Just common sense

Old 11-08-2022, 07:24 PM

577 posts, read 562,664 times
Olive Branch, Mississippi, a suburb of Memphis, has median incomes of about $80,000, virtually identical for black and white households. Black households make up 31% of the population. Because of the high incomes, equality, safety, and diversity, along with a bevy of jobs in the area, this community strikes me as a lovely place for professional black families to live.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Real True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.