Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 12:48 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Chik-Fil-A's popularity is something of a headscratcher. The chicken itself is rather odd if you consider each sandwich looks exactly the same in terms of the breast meat, which speaks to some freaky genetic engineering in order for that to happen. Waffle Fries are the worst for staying hot, so again not sure why the attraction there. They do train their staff very well which speaks to some good senior management. Otherwise if you're looking for a quality real chicken sandwich or tenders not genetically modified, check out PDQ (which is phenomenal) as well as KFC, Zaxby's or Bojangles. https://youtu.be/Yt8nUlEcrb0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 02:27 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Isn't alot of the popularity with the chain called follow the crowd mentality, Esther than the chain is all that great.

I don't see what people see in them. A dried up chicken Breast with a sliced pickle on a cheap roll. Granted they have other food items, but that Chicken Sandwich is what they are known for. Plus that chain is expensive.

Old 12-25-2020, 03:47 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
In a world where Starbucks charges $5+ for coffee and Taco Bell is $4+ for a quesadilla, Chick-fil-A is pretty reasonable. Certainly over something like PDQ (which is overpriced saltiness) and Zaxby’s (which is great but not cheap). And I’ve almost always had a succulent piece of chicken from there, unlike Bojangles which covers up dryness with seasoning (very well I might add).

If you married Zaxby’s fries with Chick-fil-A’s chicken, you’d have an unstoppable monster.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:17 PM

1,094 posts, read 809,221 times
Zaxbys is way more of a southern chain than Chick-Fil-A these days. A YouTuber I watch from San Diego never tried Zaxbys till he visited Knoxvlle TN a few years ago. I don't think there's any Zaxbys North of the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:54 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Zaxbys is way more of a southern chain than Chick-Fil-A these days. A YouTuber I watch from San Diego never tried Zaxbys till he visited Knoxvlle TN a few years ago. I don't think there's any Zaxbys North of the Mason-Dixon line.
Zaxby's has expanded to Kansas City and Indianapolis.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:14 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Chik-Fil-A's popularity is something of a headscratcher. The chicken itself is rather odd if you consider each sandwich looks exactly the same in terms of the breast meat, which speaks to some freaky genetic engineering in order for that to happen. Waffle Fries are the worst for staying hot, so again not sure why the attraction there. They do train their staff very well which speaks to some good senior management. Otherwise if you're looking for a quality real chicken sandwich or tenders not genetically modified, check out PDQ (which is phenomenal) as well as KFC, Zaxby's or Bojangles. https://youtu.be/Yt8nUlEcrb0
It's not freaky genetic engineering for Chick-Fil-A's chicken breasts; it's the fact that it's not a heavily battered fried chicken sandwich like Popeye's and Zaxby's, which give them more/thicker texture and the cuts of breast meat are bigger as well.

Fries are the first thing I eat with any combo because nobody wants to eat cold fries in any case. One thing I can say that is that I've rarely gotten waffle fries at Chick-Fil-A that tasted old but had been sitting under a heat lamp for some time. They also taste fresher than potato wedges (Bojangles, KFC) and Popeye's breaded fries.

I haven't heard of PDQ or Raising Cane's, but a casual search of best chicken sandwiches has pulled up a few lists that puts Shake Shack's chicken sandwich first. I can't even remember the last time I ate their but now I'm intrigued and will have to check it out.

But it matters not because the best chicken sandwich on earth is the Boxcar sandwich at Charleston-based Boxcar Betty's, by far.

Old 12-26-2020, 06:22 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
In a world where Starbucks charges $5+ for coffee.
Which wouldn't be this world. A Brewed Cup of Coffee at Starbucks is $1.85 for a Tall, a Grande is $2.10 and the Venti is $2.45. To reach $5 you'd have to order the largest size (Venti) Latte type drink or a frozen Frappucino with globs of syrup, whipped cream and half a cup full of dairy which kind of moves well beyond a "cup of coffee" and is priced accordingly.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:29 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Quote:
Which wouldn't be this world. A Brewed Cup of Coffee at Starbucks is $1.85 for a Tall, a Grande is $2.10 and the Venti is $2.45. To reach $5 you'd have to order the largest size (Venti) Latte type drink or a frozen Frappucino with globs of syrup, whipped cream and half a cup full of dairy which kind of moves well beyond a "cup of coffee" and is priced accordingly.
I know nothing about coffee, I can’t stand the stuff. I do know my son’s mocha costs over $5 a pop. Whether that’s considered a cup of coffee is semantics I suppose. Regardless, a chicken sandwich for $4 seems not too overpriced.

And I’ve never in my life heard of Boxcar Betty’s, but I’m already planning to add it to my itinerary for my June Charleston trip.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:39 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
Quote:
Lol. Like Mutiny stated, it's all in the cut of the chicken breast. From there, they take the breast and cut into strips or nuggets which aren't all the same size. The appearance of the sandwich and uniform look being odd is odd in itself (especially when KFC, Zaxby's, etc has uniform looking sandwichs themselves).

Old 12-26-2020, 08:06 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
And I’ve never in my life heard of Boxcar Betty’s, but I’m already planning to add it to my itinerary for my June Charleston trip.
You'll thank me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.