Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 08:24 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWilson View Post
PA - Hawley

RI - Quahog

SC - Chestnut Springs (Mountain town near Greenville)

SD - Yankton
Lol thats not a real place. I wish it was tho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 11:10 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Been to all of these states:

AZ - N/NE Phoenix/Paradise Valley/Scottsdale
CA - Venice Beach without a second thought
CO - Probably where I'm at in Arvada, or in Wheat Ridge or NW Denver
CT - Greenwich
DE - Anywhere in New Castle County
DC - Doesn't really matter because I haven't been anywhere that I'd want to live inside the District
ID - ON Lake Coeur d'Alene in Coeur d'Alene
IL - Brookport
IN - New Albany
IA - Council Bluffs
KS - Topeka
KY - Covington/Newport/etc
ME - Kennebunkport
MD - Havre De Grace, OR by the big bridge out of Annapolis across the bay
MA - Salisbury Beach
MI - Somewhere by Lake St. Clair
MN - Duluth without a doubt
MO - Somewhere in St. Louis, but if I lived there I'd rather be in Metro-East IL
MT - Superior
NE - Scottsbluff
NV - Very close to the Strip in Vegas
NH - Hampton Beach
NJ - I really love NJ tbh (), I could be happy in Atlantic City, Jersey City, Edgewater, or really anywhere
NM - Raton
NY - Queens near Flushing Meadows Park. With a summer place on Lake George.
NC - Mount Airy
ND - Fargo
OH - Cincinnati
OK - Have only seen the Panhandle myself, but I'll go with Tulsa
OR - Medford or Eugene
PA - South Philadelphia
RI - Providence
SC - Charleston, but ugh
SD - Rapid City
TN - Only been through Middle TN, but I'm going to roll the dice on Chattanooga
TX - Have only seen the Panhandle myself, but I'll go with Dallas
UT - Please never, but SLC
VT - Burlington, closer to the lake the better
VA - somewhere along the Potomac from I-495 down to DCA
WA - Spokane, in the exact spot I used to live
WV - Beckley
WI - Milwaukee, Racine, or Kenosha, or Hudson
WY - Cheyenne

Never been to these states category:

AL - Don't really have any idea, but I'll say Gulf Shores because it's on the Gulf?
AK - Have to say Anchorage because I think I'd go crazy anywhere else.
AR - Probably somewhere near the river in Little Rock
FL - Somewhere in the Tampa Bay area probably
GA - Atlanta?
HI - Honolulu should be fine? Maui? I never think about Hawaii TBH.
LA - No clue. New Orleans?
MS - Saying Gulfport or Biloxi

Old 06-04-2021, 12:37 PM

3,456 posts, read 3,382,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
NM - Tucumcari

NV - Winnemucca

CA - Dorris
Those 3 are definitely answers, I wouldn't have expected to see in this thread. And at least for Winnemucca, I wish it wasn't as far away from Reno as it is. At least it has low crime(per its City Data stats page) and also does have Amtrak California Zephyr service, which is better than no train or airline service. And googling flightconnections.com, I don't think the Winnemucca airport has any passenger flights. Although Elko's airport to the east, interestingly has one scheduled flight (per flightconnections.com) to Salt Lake City and back.

For the states I can think of(skipped some states. the ones I skipped does NOT mean I dislike those states, but more hadn't yet researched these states further. and likely will do a later followup post, to menation those other states):

Alabama- a state that has a few areas, I'd consider. I.e. south Birmingham suburbs, Huntsville, and Florence. and if I ever looked at south Alabama, maybe near Mobile? I like what I've seen of the Mobile area, on street view.
Alaska- Anchorage area? this is a state, where I don't know if I'd ever want to live there. I do suspect it'd be better to vacation there, over living there.
Arkansas- Fayetteville, or somewhere else (Eureka Springs?) in northwest Arkansas. Maybe I'd look at the Little Rock area, too.
California- San Diego, or one of the small towns in central California between Sacramento and Reno would be really cool. Such as Nevada City, Jackson, or Sonora. If money was no object, I'd probably look at Avalon, or one of the towns north and west of LA.
Colorado- somewhere in the central or western part of the state? I did like Durango, Grand J&anywhere at least near I-25, or more likely west of there.....
Georgia- probably the Atlanta area, or Athens? to me, those 2 parts of GA are the parts of the state I like the most. maybe I'd also consider Milledgeville or Savannah or St. Simon's Island, as I liked my past trips to both places. Carrollton (know someone from there, myself) looked nice too, when I street viewed it.
Hawaii- one of the northeast or northwest shore towns of Oahu, might be nice. maybe I'd look at the 'Big Island' too, and if money and cost of livong was no object, also Maui.
Iowa- Ames, Iowa City, or Dubuque I guess? I had sometimes wondered if the Mason City-Clear Lake area, might be interesting?
Kansas- Lawrence, I guess? I'd also look at eastern KS places like Mission Hills (if I had to be near KC and Johnson County), Manhattan, Salina, or Wichita? And for western KS, I did like Hays when I street viewed it.
Kentucky- Louisville, Lexington, or Bardstown? I did like Elizabethtown when I street viewed it, and same with Bowling Green. Maybe also Paducah, and that's a place I eventually want to street view further.
Louisiana- either somewhere near New Orleans, or one of the 'North Shore' towns(i.e. Mandeville, Covington) north of Lake Pontchartrain? and from looking at it on street view in northern Louisiana, Natchitoches looked nice.
Maine- Portland, Boothbay Harbor, or Rockland seem nice when I street viewed them.
Maryland- Annapolis, or maybe near Frederick or Hagerstown? Havre de Grace also looked nice, when I street viewed it.
Massachusetts- if money was no object, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are very nice. in the rest of the state, Northampton, Amherst, and Williamstown seemed nice on street view. For the Boston area, some of the places north and west of there are nice (
Minnesota- Rochester? Mankato also looks nice. Red Wing and Northfield seem like nice towns too, as is Stillwater. St. Paul and other parts of the Twin Cities, I'd also consider. If only my body could handle the very extreme cold(which I really struggle with), Duluth on street view seems nice.
Mississippi- Tupelo, or somewhere in DeSoto County? a few of the smaller towns look nice on street view, i.e. Holly Springs, Corinth, Oxford, and Pontotoc. Ocean Springs too, in south Mississippi.
Nebraska-Omaha or Lincoln? Scottsbluff(if I ever considered western NE) looked nicer than I thought when I street viewed it, I'll admit.
Nevada- somewhere near Carson City or Incline Village, I guess? Boulder City's downtown looked nicer than I thought when I passed through there on a Hoover Dam trip, and when I street viewed there.
New Hampshire- Portsmouth, or Nashua I guess? I always hear good things, about both of those places. NH is a state, I want to street view a lot more.
New Jersey- if I ever considered NJ, the only parts I'd consider would be either Hoboken or Jersey City? maybe I'd consider Asbury Park as well, on NJ's coast.
New Mexico- Las Vegas, or Santa Fe? Las Vegas I was surprised how nice its downtown looked like, on street view. Santa Fe would be nice, for having a commuter rail line (NM Rail Runner) stop there. in southern New Mexico per street view, Las Cruces and Silver City look nice.
North Dakota- Fargo, or at least from street viewing this city, Minot? the latter looks better than I imagined, too bad it's so far north where I don't know if I'd want to deal with its very extreme winters. And taking the Amtrak Empire Builder through here, Minot (from what I could see from the EB's track route through Minot) looked nicer than I thought. With its winters, not sure if I'd want to live in ND though.
Oregon- somewhere in the Portland area(perhaps McMinnville or Hillsboro?), or Eugene? I'd also consider Bend, Astoria, and the Medford-Ashland area. Maybe also Hood River, as it's across the Columbia River from the Bingen-White Salmon Amtrak Empire Builder station.
Rhode Island- if I had an unlimited budget for a house, Newport really looks nice. although I bet I'd be most happy overall in most of southeast or south RI, i.e. Bristol, Kingston, etc.
South Carolina- Charleston or Greenville? Columbia had a few neighborhoods that were nicer than I suspected, when I street viewed a few of them.
South Dakota- Sioux Falls or Rapid City? This is a state I hadn't researched enough, myself.
Tennessee- probably somewhere in the easy part of the state. although some places near Nashville seem nice, i.e. Franklin and Murfreesboro. Lebanon might be nice to investigate further, since it has Music City Star commuter train service.
Texas- I guess Fort Worth or Denton? The Austin area might be interesting, if I could adjust to how warm it is there. Maybe Bryan-College Station too, that area seemed fine when I street viewed it.
Utah- I guess the Salt Lake area? the area around Saint George seems nice, as is (if I could adjust to how small it is) Moab.
Vermont- Burlington area, or maybe somewhere else in northwest VT(i.e. Middlebury)?
Virginia- Culpeper or Charlottesville or Staunton? To me, those are my 3 favorite parts of VA.
Washington- Seattle area? besides there, maybe I'd look at the Spokane area, Leavenworth, and Bellingham. Also the islands and peninsulas in the west part of the state may be good too, i.e. Port Townsend, Anacortes, and Friday Harbor.
West Virginia- Morgantown is most likely what I'd consider, but I also liked Harpers Ferry. Hinton seemed nice when I street viewed it, plus having an Amtrak Cardinal station is a plus.
Wisconsin- La Crosse, Kenosha, or somewhere in the Milwaukee area? I also like Ashland and Eagle River, as well.

I'll research more states and also DC, later.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:58 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
NC - Charlotte, Raleigh, pretty much any one of the bigger cities

SC - Charleston

GA - Savanah

FL - Miami

AL - Mobile

MS - Gulfport

LA - New Orleans

TX - Houston

AR- Little Rock

TN - Memphis

KY - Cincinnati suburbs

VA - NOVA

WV - Charleston

MD - Baltimore

DE - Wilmington

PA - Pittsburgh

NJ - Patterson

NY - Queens

CT - Harford

RI - Providence

MA - Boston

NH - Manchester

VT - Burlington metro

ME - Portland

MI - Detroit

OH - Cleveland

IN - Bloomington

IL - Chicago

WI - Madison

MN - Duluth

ND - Fargo

SD - Sioux Falls

IA - Cedar Falls/Iowa City area

NE - Omaha

MO - Saint Louis

KS - KC

OK - Oklahoma City

NM - Tucumcari

AZ - Phoenix

NV - Winnemucca

CO - Pueblo

WY - Cheyenne

UT - Salt Lake City

ID - Boise metro

MT - Great Falls

WA - Walla Walla

OR - Portland

CA - Dorris

HI - Honolulu

AK - Anchorage
You can't spell the city you'd like to live in in NJ. LOL

And I guess you must be a drug dealer. Nobody else wants to live in Paterson.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's obvious by many responses, some if not most have no idea what a state is like once you get out of the largest city.
I know. For NJ, people are saying Jersey City? Paterson? With all the beautiful, expensive, towns to choose from, the rundown, crime-ridden cities are the draw? OK, JC has some nice areas along the river with views of Manhattan.

Somebody did say Cape May, which is wonderful.

As far as the comments about Jersey being boring, lol, not at all. That's actually funny. But the thing that makes Jersey not boring--the fact that you have a short ride to the nation's largest city and another, smaller but historically significant one, or to some gorgeous wild beaches OR developed beach towns with entertainment, mountains to hike, the pine barrens, and farmland and wineries and great restaurants in a state the length of which can be traveled in four hours--is the same thing that makes it difficult. The traffic is pure hell. One accident can back up traffic for an hour at certain times of day, and there are no alternatives to take because ALL the roads are packed at those times of day.

There are just too damn many people, and so you have to plan your hikes and your beach days and your great meals and your entertainment activities to find the least crowded times to go.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-04-2021 at 07:21 PM..

Old 06-04-2021, 07:28 PM

Glad to see Portland, ME, got a lot of love. One of my favorite small cities ever.

Old 06-05-2021, 02:21 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know. For NJ, people are saying Jersey City? Paterson? With all the beautiful, expensive, towns to choose from, the rundown, crime-ridden cities are the draw? OK, JC has some nice areas along the river with views of Manhattan.

Somebody did say Cape May, which is wonderful.

As far as the comments about Jersey being boring, lol, not at all. That's actually funny. But the thing that makes Jersey not boring--the fact that you have a short ride to the nation's largest city and another, smaller but historically significant one, or to some gorgeous wild beaches OR developed beach towns with entertainment, mountains to hike, the pine barrens, and farmland and wineries and great restaurants in a state the length of which can be traveled in four hours--is the same thing that makes it difficult. The traffic is pure hell. One accident can back up traffic for an hour at certain times of day, and there are no alternatives to take because ALL the roads are packed at those times of day.

There are just too damn many people, and so you have to plan your hikes and your beach days and your great meals and your entertainment activities to find the least crowded times to go.
Jersey City is really cool though.

Jerseys suburbs are just everywhere sprawlburgs from Anywhere USA. Bar a few like Montclair or even Morristown. But Alpine, Summit, Short Hills and Ridgewood are all interchangeable with Wellesley, Lexington MA, Danbury CT, Greenwich CT, Villanova, Cary, etc. jersey City is unique, cheap(er) and just an awesome place all around. In my honest opinion, NJ has cool places and the urbanity is great. But the suburbs arent it .. anywhere lol

Also for Jersey Shore towns.. Im not a fan of Cape May. I think its overhyped and overpriced. Your getting half the quality of Marthas Vineyard for 2/3 the price. I much prefer Stone Harbor, Asbury Park and Long Branch. Which IMHO are stellar. If I want Victorian, il just go to MV.

Old 06-05-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Jersey City is really cool though.

Jerseys suburbs are just everywhere sprawlburgs from Anywhere USA. Bar a few like Montclair or even Morristown. But Alpine, Summit, Short Hills and Ridgewood are all interchangeable with Wellesley, Lexington MA, Danbury CT, Greenwich CT, Villanova, Cary, etc. jersey City is unique, cheap(er) and just an awesome place all around. In my honest opinion, NJ has cool places and the urbanity is great. But the suburbs arent it .. anywhere lol

Also for Jersey Shore towns.. Im not a fan of Cape May. I think its overhyped and overpriced. Your getting half the quality of Marthas Vineyard for 2/3 the price. I much prefer Stone Harbor, Asbury Park and Long Branch. Which IMHO are stellar. If I want Victorian, il just go to MV.
I haven't been to Cape May in 20 years. It was kind of sleepy then. Most people didn't want to drive all the way to the end of the Parkway except if they were birdwatching and wanted the quiet Victorian hotel. Maybe it's changed.

Long Branch is my beach. When I first moved down here, I lived in LB. I moved about six miles inland because I couldn't afford what I wanted there, but I still go there to go to the beach and to walk in the off-season. That's a town that definitely changed. I had a friend, a recovered alcoholic, who took me one time to show me the row of abandoned houses where she used to live when she was drinking. Now Pier Village is there.

Never been to Martha's Vineyard.

I worked in Jersey City a few times, mostly because somebody first bombed and eventually destroyed our other offices and they had to stash us there for a while. While I watched the waterfront area come to new life over the past couple of decades, JC has a long way to go before I would rate it "awesome". The majority of the city is still impoverished, rundown, and crime-ridden.

The burbs were good to grow up in and to raise a kid in, and to commute to the city from, but now I have no use for them.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:00 PM

3,892 posts, read 2,207,955 times
Alabama-Huntsville
Alaska-Anchorage
Arizona-Tucson
Arkansas-Fayetteville/Springdale
California-San Diego
Colorado-Ft. Collins or Greeley
Connecticut-Waterbury
Deleware-Dover
Florida-Tampa/Orlando metros or Ocala
Georgia-Atlanta metro
Hawaii-Honolulu
Idaho-Boise or Coeur d'Alene
Illinois-Chicago metro
Indiana-Bloomington
Iowa-Des Moines
Kansas-KC metro or Wichita metro
Kentucky-Lexington
Louisiana-Lafayette
Maine-Portland
Maryland-Frederick or Salisbury
Massachusetts-Boston metro
Michigan-Grand Rapids
Minnesota-Minneapolis/St. Paul metro or Rochester
Mississippi-Hatiesburg
Missouri-KC metro, Springfield or Columbia
Montana-Billings or Helena
Nebraska-Omaha or Lincoln areas
Nevada-Las Vegas or Reno metros
New Hampshire-Concord or Manchester
New Jersey-Brunswick(midway between NYC and Philly)
New Mexico-Las Cruces or Albuquerque
New York-Syracuse
North Carolina-Raleigh, Wilmington or Charlotte
North Dakota-Bismark or Fargo
Columbus, Dayton, Cleveland or Cincinnati metros
Oklahoma-OKC or Tulsa
Oregon-Medford, Eugene or Salem
Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh metro
Rhode Island-Providence metro
South Carolina-Greenville/Spartanburg metro
South Dakota-Rapid City or Sioux Falls
Tennessee-Nashville metro, Knoxville or Chattanooga
Texas-where I live presently. Other than that Tyler, Austin metro or San Antonio metro
Utah-SLC metro or St. George
Vermont- Burlington
Virginia-Roanoke, Lynchburg, Fredericksburg or Charlottesville
Washington-Vancouver, Spokane, Olympia
West Virginia-Morgantown
Wisconsin-Madison
Wyoming-Cheyenne

Old 07-06-2021, 07:12 PM

17 posts, read 15,272 times
AL: Huntsville
AK: Anchorage
AZ: Scottsdale
AR: Little Rock
CA: Riverside
CO: CO Springs
CT: Hartford
DE: --
FL: Naples
GA: Savannah
HI: --
ID: Idaho Falls
IL: Naperville
IN: Fort Worth
IA: Dubuque
KS: Wichita
KY: Knoxville
LA: New Orleans
MA: Lynn
MD: --
ME: Portland
MI: Grand Rapids
MN: --
MO: Kansas City
MS: --
MT: Great Falls
NE: Omaha
NV: Reno
NH: Manchester
NM: --
NY: Staten Island
NC: Asheville
ND: Bismark
OH: Cleveland
OK: OK City
OR: Bend
PA: Pittsburgh
RI: --
SC: Greenville
SD: Pierre
TN: Bristol
TX: Amarillo
UT: --
VA: Lynchburg
VT: --
WA: Olympia
WI: Appleton
WY: Cheyenne
WV: Charleston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.