Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 07:53 AM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times

Advertisements

I would agree with Philadelphia. Great bones, awesome transit, somewhat "affordable" compared to NYC, Boston, DC. Just some rough areas hold it back a bit.

As for smaller cities, I'd say a rust belt city like Milwaukee. Rarely on the national scene, but great bones, affordable, lively and super close to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2022, 08:01 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
I hadn't heard that about New Orleans. It's pretty dense in many areas.
There are many people on this website that will say it's suburban outside of the core neighorboods around downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yes, for sure. I suppose there's some folks out there I suppose that are living under a rock and don't recognize Philadelphia as major urban core, but I'm guessing they are few and far between as the city has gotten much more exposure as it has revitalized over the past 20 years.

You picked some good candidates. I'd also add Baltimore, Cincinnati, and St. Louis.
Even before the exposure, Philadelphia was always a major urban center. Like, ever since the country was founded Philly has been a major urban center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelphilip View Post
When I think of urbanity and urban living, I tend to include if the city is can be lived car free. Philly is a city where all of your needs, not just daily ones can be done without a car. Does Tacoma fulfill that criteria?
We're talking about underrated urbanity, in the North American context, I don't think being able to do everything without a car is fair for this thread because then it becomes a thread about the most urban cities, and we have enough Boston vs Chicago type threads. Let the smaller cities get some attention.

St. Louis and Cincinnati are good suggestions as well. Buffalo might fit as well?

Old 04-26-2022, 08:59 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
I think out of the top 15 Philly is definitely underrated. I always heard negative things about Philly and even when I told people I was visiting there, people generally responded with "What is there to do in Philly besides eat a cheesesteak". It definitely has a negative reputation and even though it deserves some harsh criticism me and my wife enjoyed our visit.

I also think St. Louis would be a underrated city for it's urbanity. I will say though Philly is a city I wouldn't mind visiting again because of it's vibrant urbanity but St. Louis on the other hand was urban but it lacked the vibrancy Philly had and for that I wouldn't be in a rush to go back.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:11 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelphilip View Post
What are your thoughts on this? For me it would be Philly.
http://twitter.com/espnnfl/status/13...141572?lang=en

Although transit and subway could be better, I would say it has a lot of walkable areas and great neighborhoods.
Urban transit could always be better, even in NYC... that said, mass transit in Philly is pretty darn good, esp by American standards, which makes it excellent imho. Case in point: a few years ago our office, of over 80 people polled on the question: how do you get to work? Aside from the 5 people who lived in Center City and walked, over 90% took some form of rail transit in to work each. IIRC, of the others, a few took the bus and one woman in Delaware County drove in and parked early and at a distance from the job each day; she did so b/c of irregular hours caring for her disabled Mom and having to pick up her kids from daycare.

Old 04-26-2022, 12:03 PM

828 posts, read 648,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
I hadn't heard that about New Orleans. It's pretty dense in many areas.
New Orleans is a weird mix of dense and lacking density, depending on neighborhood.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:54 PM

82 posts, read 52,789 times
Maybe not underrated but definitely overshadowed is the massive multi-County contiguous urban stretch of North Jersey which covers Southern Passaic + Eastern Essex + Northeastern Union + Southern Bergen + all of Hudson. This area (minus the empty space of the Meadowlands) covers about 187 sq miles and with 2.4 million residents would be the 4th largest city in the US if it were 1 contiguous City, with a density of around 12.7k/sq mile, giving urban North Jersey a similar density to Chicago, Miami, DC, Philadelphia, & Boston. Obviously this area is overshadowed by the megacity next door but IMO it doesn’t get enough credit and recognition for being one of the largest stretches of contiguous urban development in the country. Nj gets a lot of grief for being a giant suburb, and while there are tons of leafy suburban areas surrounding this urban area, the cities in this area are some of the most urban small cities you’ll find. Jersey City, Hoboken, Passaic, Paterson, Newark, Elizabeth, Fort Lee, Montclair, and Hackensack all function as smaller hubs to the way larger urban core. The area is one of the largest transportation hubs in the US, with 2 airports, EWR & Teterboro, and the 7th busiest train station in the US. Newark and Jersey City both have their own light rail, as well as PATH service to NYC, and the entire region is served by NJ Transit rail, plus there are several jitneys and NJ Transit buses which run all across the area so overall the public transportation infrastructure in North Jersey is better than that of almost every other major city, although it could be further improved. And this is an area that has been consistently experiencing rapid development. Obviously it wouldn’t be as massive of an urban area if north Jersey didn’t directly border NYC, but at the same time, the fact is there are very few big cities in the country that are as urban as North Jersey.

Last edited by GoYanksGiantsNets; 04-26-2022 at 03:05 PM..

Old 04-26-2022, 04:18 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I think out of the top 15 Philly is definitely underrated. I always heard negative things about Philly and even when I told people I was visiting there, people generally responded with "What is there to do in Philly besides eat a cheesesteak". It definitely has a negative reputation and even though it deserves some harsh criticism me and my wife enjoyed our visit.

I also think St. Louis would be a underrated city for it's urbanity. I will say though Philly is a city I wouldn't mind visiting again because of it's vibrant urbanity but St. Louis on the other hand was urban but it lacked the vibrancy Philly had and for that I wouldn't be in a rush to go back.
If anything Rustbelt cities get too much credit for how urban they are. St Louis, Cleveland, Milwaukee, get treated like it’s still 1965. Like Cleveland’s RTA ridership in 2019 was 1/3rd of what it was in 1979. Because the metro area sprawled out to hell. It’s rail system is basically a zombie rail system.

West coast cities like San Diego and LA are underrated. LA gets derided as a big suburb but it’s transit commute share is basically right under Philly’s on the list of cities.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:46 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanksGiantsNets View Post
Maybe not underrated but definitely overshadowed is the massive multi-County contiguous urban stretch of North Jersey which covers Southern Passaic + Eastern Essex + Northeastern Union + Southern Bergen + all of Hudson. This area (minus the empty space of the Meadowlands) covers about 187 sq miles and with 2.4 million residents would be the 4th largest city in the US if it were 1 contiguous City, with a density of around 12.7k/sq mile, giving urban North Jersey a similar density to Chicago, Miami, DC, Philadelphia, & Boston. Obviously this area is overshadowed by the megacity next door but IMO it doesn’t get enough credit and recognition for being one of the largest stretches of contiguous urban development in the country. Nj gets a lot of grief for being a giant suburb, and while there are tons of leafy suburban areas surrounding this urban area, the cities in this area are some of the most urban small cities you’ll find. Jersey City, Hoboken, Passaic, Paterson, Newark, Elizabeth, Fort Lee, Montclair, and Hackensack all function as smaller hubs to the way larger urban core. The area is one of the largest transportation hubs in the US, with 2 airports, EWR & Teterboro, and the 7th busiest train station in the US. Newark and Jersey City both have their own light rail, as well as PATH service to NYC, and the entire region is served by NJ Transit rail, plus there are several jitneys and NJ Transit buses which run all across the area so overall the public transportation infrastructure in North Jersey is better than that of almost every other major city, although it could be further improved. And this is an area that has been consistently experiencing rapid development. Obviously it wouldn’t be as massive of an urban area if north Jersey didn’t directly border NYC, but at the same time, the fact is there are very few big cities in the country that are as urban as North Jersey.

I agree with this. I think if NJT train frequencies outside peak direction were upped a bit, buses were improved substantially, light rail extended a bit, and the fare system better unified, it'd be more urban than anything in the US not NYC proper in short time.

Old 04-26-2022, 07:22 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times
Every major west coast city (besides SF).

Portland, for example, is denser than it's average population density suggests. About 450k of its residents (70% of total population) live in a land area less than 50 square miles. It also has very good biking infrastructure, which is reflected in its high bike commute percentage.

All have pretty good public transit systems by American standards.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:08 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Newark. A ton of buses with frequencies 10 minutes or less on weekdays, city subway(light rail) with decent weekday headways, NJT rail lines into 2 stations, PATH. Not a ton of walkable areas outside the Ironbound due to wide streets/small sidewalks and a crapload of parking lots but they do exist. Jersey City is right up there too, although a bit too car friendly around Newport and towards Kearny.

St. Paul and Madison aren't talked about much for some reason.

On what planet is Philly underrated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.