Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:56 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
I completely believe there are plenty of wealthy, well educated farmers. There are plenty of intellectual, granola type farmers across the Northeast, PNW, and Upper Midwest as well.

That was not my point.

The term gentleman farmer, in relation to the South, is a direct reference to plantation owners and their ancestors. The term "Southern Gentleman" arose during the antebellum period to describe such people. Despite the fact that these men were racist, enslaved a whole race of people, and eventually were traitors to the United States these frat boys at SEC schools idolize them. Yes I see this as a severe problem. And no I don't consider these 19 year olds such as those in SAE at Oklahoma WASPS in the true sense. Outside of New England the true wasp is extinct. Even in New England the WASP is endangered simply by the evolution of American values away from the puritans. The P is WASP is for Protestant, but more in the Puritan sense, rather than that of the status conscious caste system of the South. The term was coined to describe the old money families of New England who were descended from the settlers of Plymouth Bay Colony.

The term has since been co-opted by upper middle class Southerners as a way to differentiate themselves as better than others, particularly if their family was not old southern money. Old southern money has conveniently taken up the term in an attempt to put "lipstick on a pig". In today's society, outside of the South WASP sounds much better than gentleman farmer or plantation owner...for good reason.

There was nothing noble or worth celebrating about the antebellum south. The whole institution was awful.

There are gentlemen farmers down South today. Owning slaves is not a requisite of being a gentlemen farmer. The Civil War ended a looooong time ago. I wasn't even alive.

P is for Protestant. It's not White Anglo-Saxon Puritan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 03:52 PM

260 posts, read 218,441 times
WASPs are pretty much gone. If you are going to use the original definition.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:21 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Bueller View Post
WASPs are pretty much gone. If you are going to use the original definition.
they exist. your demographic and geography probably doesn't reflect as many.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
officially it seems to be English Americans, Germans and Dutch Amer too?

scots-irish southerners would perhaps by most be considered WASPS however I think they'd be generally considered Celts though it's debatable what %age of White Englishman are Anglo-Saxon
also WASP to me signifies being well-off etc
Boston Brahmins are the quintessential WASPS

the loosest definition may be NW Euro American Protestants
or even Non-Hispanic Euro Americans (incl Catholics)
I believe this is what Anglo in Socal refers to
In Colorado "Anglo" refers to any white non-Hispanic person.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
In Colorado "Anglo" refers to any white non-Hispanic person.
Even the jews?

Old 04-16-2015, 09:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
Even the jews?
Probably. There's not a huge Jewish community here in CO.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Probably. There's not a huge Jewish community here in CO.
makes sense.. it's like when some white people see asians, they think they're all chinese.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:01 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
In New England there is a WASP/ ethnic white political divide with Republicans being WASPS (Weld, Brown, Baker, Swift) while Democrats are usually the ethic whites (Kennedy, Lynch, Tierney, etc) and because Catholics are 50+ percent of Massachusetts or Rhode Island, Democrats tend to win. New Hampshire and Maine are move evenly split so the states are less blue (Maine is a bit odd though)

Old 04-17-2015, 12:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Who the hell cares, I like ethnic whites the best anyway.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:50 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I personally would not let you in the club.
I guess I'm past-WASP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.