Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 12:45 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,169,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, it is not. It is fact, whether you like it or not. I am not saying that I am happy black people are not nearly as wealthy as white people, it is not my fault. But I can't deny it, either.
In this day and age it is more than a bit presumptuous to assume that there are no black folks that have money to spend on luxury items. Do you think that black rap stars do not indulge themselves and shop in upscale establishments? The sales clerk made the wrong call, if it played out the way Oprah claims. It is highly doubtful that Oprah entered the store dressed or looking like a homeless person that led the sales clerk to question her ability to afford the merchandise.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:45 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,507,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Racism? Not sure. (High-end) luxury store clerks are often snobby and arrogant. I was treated badly at a Gant Store (hardly luxurious) here in Oslo, Norway and I am an ethnic Norwegian and I even wore a Gant cardigan
Another fair point.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:46 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,568,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Because you keep pointing out that Oprah's a billionaire (in all caps) as if that's supposed to prove anything. If the world were as racist as Oprah wants to make it out to be, how the hell would a black woman like her have become a billionaire? Racism didn't interfere in her finances.
You still did not explain the reason that you posted about the RHOA and Basketball Wives? How are those two shows relevant to THIS discussion? What point were YOU attempting to make with those specific references?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:46 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,221,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Yes, in 2005. She was mad because they would not let her in after they were closed. That is not
racism, it is an elitist who is not used to being treated like a regular person.

She threw the same tantrum back then.
Rich and famous people get to shop in stores after hours all the time--most stores are glad to open up for them, because it means big sales, plus it's great for the store if those people wear their brand. The privacy means they don't have to deal with people harassing them or taking pictures of them while they shop, and they have the full attention of the staff so they can get in and out. If I had people following me wherever I go, I'd really appreciate that service.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:48 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,568,843 times
Quote:
No, not poor, but maybe not like the kind of person that I would expect to be interested in or capable of paying for that kind of stuff.
You obviously do not know or interact with very wealthy people.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,792,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What a ridiculous comment. So am I to automatically assume that you are a racist, child molester because you happen to be a White man? These profiling assumptions are pointless. And not only did that sales clerk get it wrong but she mistakenly profiled a BILLIONAIRE with a worldwide media platform as "poor"
Who said profiling works all the time? Point is, in Europe being black usually means not being able to buy a 40k bag. Just because there maybe a handful of exceptions does not mean that the profile is wrong.

I think it is naive of Oprah or any Americans for that matter to come to Europe and expect that same phony pc **** that you are used to over there.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:49 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,794,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Do you get told you can't look at merchandise in stores because it's too expensive for you? Seriously? I've NEVER been treated like that, and I'm not a celebrity--I'm just a well dressed and well groomed middle aged white lady.
It does happen. I was car shopping and asked a salesman about a particular high end car. The salesman told me it was expensive and tried to steer me towards another car at a lower price. I asked him: Do I look as if I can't afford it?

Does one have to get dressed to the nines, dripping in gold and diamonds as a sign that they can afford something?

I was staying with a friend for vacation and needed to pick up a few cotton tops as the weather was hot, hot, hot. She asked me: Do you really need them? Don't you have enough clothes? WTH?? It doesn't matter if I have 100 tee shirts. I would have asked her why she was questioning me as to how I spend my money and why was she taking inventory of what was in my suitcase? Because I was a guest in her home, I ended up having to explain myself.

People do strange things, like assuming what one can afford and what they can't.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:51 PM

36 posts, read 31,704 times
Quote:
Who said profiling works all the time? Point is, in Europe being black usually means not being able to buy a 40k bag. Just because there maybe a handful of exceptions does not mean that the profile is wrong.

I think it is naive of Oprah or any Americans for that matter to come to Europe and expect that same phony pc **** that you are used to over there.
that very prejudiced attitude is the reason why she missed out on the opportunity to make a great sale.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:52 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,763,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You still did not explain the reason that you posted about the RHOA and Basketball Wives? How are those two shows relevant to THIS discussion? What point were YOU attempting to make with those specific references?
I guess you don't read well. Money doesn't buy class. Just because Oprah's a billionaire doesn't mean some random saleslady in Europe would know who she is let alone that she can afford to buy a $30,000 handbag.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:52 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,221,233 times
Quote:

So it's PC **** to call you out for being racists when you openly admit to it? That's and interesting and original take on the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates